main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin & King David

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Eternal_Hero, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    I was just re-reading the Davidic Epic, from the books of Samuel in the Old Testament (an awesome tragic/heroic saga, well worth reading for anyone who likes that sort of thing!) and I came across a passage which reminded me of RotS. For those of you who don't know, David is the tragically flawed "chosen one" of God who is taken from his home, raised in a distant court, given martial and religious training, befriended by a slightly older prince, and commits his greatest sin for the love of a woman (sound familiar?). He eventually generates a troubled brood of his own, including a son, Absalom, who goes too far in avenging his sister, and raises a rebellion against his father, King David. David routs Abaslom's superior force with an army made up of his retainers and some volunteers. Absalom flees and is assassinated by one of David's soldiers. Although they are at odds, David is still concerned about his son...

24 And David sat between the two gates: and the watchman went up to the roof over the gate unto the wall, and lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold a man running alone.
    25 And the watchman cried, and told the king. And the king said, If he be alone, there is tidings in his mouth. And he came apace, and drew near.
    26 And the watchman saw another man running: and the watchman called unto the porter, and said, Behold another man running alone. And the king said, He also bringeth tidings.
    27 And the watchman said, Me thinketh the running of the foremost is like the running of Ahimaaz the son of Zadok. And the king said, He is a good man, and cometh with good tidings.
    28 And Ahimaaz called, and said unto the king, All is well. And he fell down to the earth upon his face before the king, and said, Blessed be the Lord thy God, which hath delivered up the men that lifted up their hand against my lord the king.
    29 And the king said, Is the young man Absalom safe? And Ahimaaz answered, When Joab sent the king's servant, and me thy servant, I saw a great tumult, but I knew not what it was.
    30 And the king said unto him, Turn aside, and stand here. And he turned aside, and stood still.
    31 And, behold, Cushi came; and Cushi said, Tidings, my lord the king: for theLord hath avenged thee this day of all them that rose up against thee.
    32 And the king said unto Cushi, Is the young man Absalom safe? And Cushi answered, The enemies of my lord the king, and all that rise against thee to do thee hurt, be as that young man is.
    33 And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!

I couldn't help but think of:

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    That's an interesting comparison, particularly since most of the religious allegory seen in the PT in particular (and the saga in general) is focused on Christ-like imagery in Anakin's story.

One big difference between Anakin and David regarding the sin that causes their downfall was that, in Anakin's case, he did what he knew was evil for a good cause (saving Padme's life, and maybe the babies' lives, too), while David did what he knew was evil for a bad cause (taking Bathsheba and knocking off her husband, because he wanted her for himself). By that reckoning, Obi-Wan's talk with Anakin on the Mustafar landing platform is the equivalent of Nathan's "Thou art the man!" accusation to David, though with an opposite result (David repents, Anakin doesn't).

Again, interesting subject.

3. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I like to think Anakin's inviting Qui-Gon and Padme to his home is a bit like Lot's story, especially since he asks one of them if she is an angel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.