main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Anakin/Luke's Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Obi-John Kenobi, Jun 19, 2015.

1. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I would not put it beyond Vader to have that saber recovered after meeting his son. That meeting obviously brought back old memories, and feelings. We know Anakin has attachment problems, at least through the eyes of a jedi. Wanting to recover his son's lightsaber would be within character, especially if he realized it was his old one, and would be the first sign of the old Anakin (that we know from TCW) returning. From there with the death of Vader, the Emperor, and the fall of the Empire it is quite likely such an item would find its way into the black market, and eventually into the hands of someone who would want to return it to the Skywalkers for one reason or another.

Or

I would not be surprised if some maintenance/janitor working in Cloud City was familiar with lightsabers (I am sure there are many, although still rare, lightsabers for sale in the black market) found it, and from there it entered the black market. Eventually someone got their hands on it who want to return it to the Skywalkers for one reason or another.

With that said, I do not think any of this requires a detailed explanation. Anything more than, "I have something for you. It was recovered from Cloud City." [Hands over Anakin/Luke's saber] would be unnecessary, even unwelcomed.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd definately be perfectly happy with just a simple, one sentence explanation in passing about how the lightsaber reappeared. But I just feel there's got to be at least SOMETHING, even just a quick reference onscreen. I don't expect a detailed historical flashback about its journey through the galaxy over the years, but I also don't want to spend all of TFA wondering how it really came about cos they just ignored that detail-but honestly I don't think they'd really do that.

I will say at first (months ago) I was really iffy about this whole Luke's lightsaber thing. But after spending time on this thread, I really have warmed up to the idea of it. I love the idea of Luke's lightsaber becoming some sort of "historical artifact." When taken in that context, it's not unrealistic to think that it could be unearthed and traded around, even sold or stolen, over the course of 30 some years. I'm really interested to see what really becomes of all this when TFA finally comes out.

I have a hard time with the idea that Vader picked it up from Cloud City though, since I'd find it hard to understand why it wouldn't then at least appear in ROTJ if he had it. After all, it's not only Luke's lightsaber he'd be retrieving, it would in fact be his OWN. That idea bears some significance, IMO. I much prefer that whole "lightsaber was found-maybe recognized-and bought and/or traded by history enthusiasts or just made its way thru the galaxy by selling and trading from planet to planet over the decades...like valued as a sort of "relic of the clone wars", or "jedi artifact" or something.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  3. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Yeah, it probably could be some sort of a valuable historical artifact. Force sensitivity isn't enough to make a proper lightsaber, so one would require at least some bit of training to make one. Only Luke has the necessary knowledge after RotJ.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  4. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Messa thinka thisa not true.

Theressa other ways to makes a lightsable, messa thinks.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You drunk? :p

6. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    :cool: No just excited before the release of the trailer.

:D

My point is that the "knowledge" required to make a lightsaber was probably well documented in the Jedi archives in the temple in Coruscant.

So there are a number of different ways people could've gotten their hands on the knowledge. Also after order 66 there were a lot of LS that were collected from all the Jedi getting killed. I assume some of them would've been kept as trophies by clone officers and imperials. Or they could've been sent back to Coruscant or something. So a stockpile of LS was probably kept somewhere after ROTS.

7. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    They better have a proper explanation of this not some random stuff...