main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin 'n' Tahiri's Place

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Gr8terThanSumOfParts, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gr8terThanSumOfParts

Gr8terThanSumOfParts Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2004
    This is the continuation of the Anakin and Tahiri Resource and Support Thread, the link to which is below. On that thread you will find, among other things, the series of interviews that Lonewolf began last year. In this thread we hope to continue that series, and also to add new features all aimed at celebrating and promoting your favourite couple. :)

GO TO PAGE 10 FOR THE FIRST ISSUE OF THE A/T MAGAZINE
    PAGE 13 - Issue 2
    PAGE 17 - Issue 3
    PAGE 22 - Issue 4
    PAGE 27 - Issue 5
    PAGE 33 - Issue 6

Follow this link to the old thread;
    The Anakin and Tahiri Fic Resource and Support Thread

The Anakin and Tahiri Index is the place to go to find story links to A/Tstories. We hope to update that regularly. YodaKenobi will be taking care of that - so if you write an A/T story or find a new one to read, let him know so he can add it to the list. :) Follow this link to the old The Anakin Solo and Tahiri Veila Index.
    A while back the NEW one opened up its gates here ? Anakin Solo & Tahiri Veila Index V 2.0

This thread, as I said above, will continue to provide interviews and information about the writers, as well as act as the resource thread - the place to come and ask questions - or a spot to just drop by chill. :) It will also act as the continuation of the Anakin and Tahiri Scrapbook Planning Thread, which was, as the name suggests, a place to paste any snippets that focus on Anakin and/or Tahiri that writers didn't want to post as separate threads. We will still have the challenges on this thread from time to time, and also maybe we might get some other things going. Any ideas are welcome. :) The more involved, the merrier. :) Follow this link to find the old Scrapbook Planning Thread: The Anakin and Tahiri Scrapbook

As well as focussing on the A/T writers, we are also going to celebrate the readers, because, after all, where would fan fiction be without them. :) So, as well as writer interviews, get ready for interviews with the faithful A/T readers.

All in all we're hoping to add to the sense of community as well as have some fun along the way.

Sound okay to you?

Cool. :)

So far we have quite a few people working on this thread, but if you would like to be involved please PM me ? Tahi - and let me know what you'd like to help with.

Interviewers:
    Thrawn
    YodaKenobi
    Tahi

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    First reply! :p :-B

Thanks for getting things moving, Tahi :)

3. ATindex

ATindex Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2003
    No sweat, Yoda. :)

I've added you to the watched user list of the ATindex nick so you can find it easily. :)

4. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Cool, that way it looks like more people like me! :p

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    LOL Lots of people like you, Yoda. :)

Anyway - hopefully we'll be having an interview to post soonish. [Pokes Thrawn in ribs.] :D

Fans of A/T may be interested to know that several A/T stories gained some well-earned recognition in the recent Winter Fan Fic Awards:

YodaKenobi's story The Living Force won in the Readers' Choice Epic and RC Villain categories, and Yoda shared the RC Writer Award with Thrawn McEwok, and Gabri_Jade.

Thrawn also won RC Non-Human, Male for Kunra in Once a Warrior.

Congrats are due to these two fine writers. And kudos to any of you writing A/T stories/poems. Keep up the good work and keep Anakin's and Tahiri's names up there. :D

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_worried] I hardly feel I deserve it... [face_mischief]

Kudos to YK, though - and the rest of you! :D

But aye - I'm here, and I'm eager as an Ewok...

Inevitably... :p ;) [face_blush]

- The Imperial Ewok

7. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thanks, Tahi :) congrats to everyone as well. We need to give this thread a bit of a kick though *kicks*

8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    How many threads do you have for this? I don't see a need for more than two.

Dana

9. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    How many threads do you have for this? I don't see a need for more than two.

Just dying to flex those mod muscles again, huh? ;)

The person who started the original is gone, and I believe Tahi means this to be a condensed version of that and her "scrapbook" thread, both of which have been abandoned, so I don't see how this is "more" than 2. If anything, it's one less.

But on the subject of redundancy:
    One.

Two.

Three.

And that's just on the first three pages here o_O I wonder how many I'd find if I dug a little deeper :p

[face_peace]

10. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, if you're moving things to this thread, and you're going to eliminate use of the others (though you are welcome to keep them as supplements, as long as they are "inactive"), that's fine. But if you're planning to keep all four threads going, then I'm afraid that's too many. In general, we've been allowed an index thread and a discussion thread.

Dana

11. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Well, if you're moving things to this thread, and you're going to eliminate use of the others (though you are welcome to keep them as supplements, as long as they are "inactive"), that's fine. But if you're planning to keep all four threads going, then I'm afraid that's too many. In general, we've been allowed an index thread and a discussion thread.

Yes, and I agree ;) Wait and see which one's Tahi wants locked I guess :)

12. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I've asked Lonewolf to lock the original A/T Support thread. I'm also weighing up combining the scrapbook with the support thread - although strictly speaking the scrapbook is my thread. I'll have a think about it.

13. Gr8terThanSumOfParts

Gr8terThanSumOfParts Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2004
    [Okay!! :D

Anakin 'n' Tahiri's Place is very proud today to bring you the first in an ongoing series of interviews with writers and readers of A/T fanfic! :cool:

And we're very pleased to welcome as our first interviewee the amazing JDH3!

You might know him best as the author of an incredible post-NJO story starring Anakin and Tahiri, THE SITH INSURRECTION! But this novel-length 'fic is only one chapter in a truly epic storyline, the climax of a star-spanning A/T adventure which is set in turn within an even bigger epic embracing the whole Star Wars saga.

In this "wider world", Anakin/Tahiri fans might want to check out the two substantial prequels to The Sith Insurrection - BETWEEN US, ILLUSIONS - or, alternatively, they could start with any one of his many superb smaller A/T pieces, ranging from THE OLD WAYS, through A FIRESIDE DUEL, to RAIN DELAY.

And don't let the scale of the story put you off! JD's work is structured rather like the movie saga with which it interweaves so deftly - so you can start with any chapter of the adventure and not feel lost. You'll be delighted with what you find in front of you, eager to read what has gone before, and impatient for the next installment!

The questions are being asked set by fandom's favourite furball, Thrawn McEwok. Don't worry - we've made him promise that he won't let that Mara Jade woman anywhere near our hero!

And, without further ado - on to the interview! :D]

[b]TMcE[/b]: [i]Question One: there are a lot of possible 'ships that a writer can focus on in Star Wars, and you're also known for writing Prequel 'fic with an Anakin/Padmé bias. But Anakin/Tahiri seems to predominate as the central relationship in your "classic" EU fanfic. Is there a reason for that? [/i]

[b]JD[/b]: Answer: I think it?s largely due to the fact that I felt there was so much that could have been explored through A/T?s relationship, but wasn?t in the official canon. Their relationship always struck me as being very close to the one shared by Anakin?s grandparents-especially the emotional bond between the two. Being something of a student of history and a writer who enjoys making connections between generations, I saw a wealth of stories just waiting to be told.

On the one hand, you have a boy who not only has to carry Darth Vader?s name, and is, by all accounts, very much like his grandfather. While on the other, there?s a girl raised by a tribe of Tusken Raiders who killed her parents years earlier. That was a relationship that I simply had to know more about, especially in light of the events in AOTC. It seemed to me like fertile ground to use to link three generations of the Skywalker bloodline, but it never really came to pass. In short, I saw a number of elements that could have been used to tell tales about not just two enjoyable and well-developed characters like Anakin and Tahiri, but the Skywalker/Solo clan as a whole. Unfortunately, all those loose threads I saw were never really strung together to my liking, and then along came SBS. But, thankfully, there is always fanfic.

[b]TMcE[/b]: [i]Thanks - and, well, that leads neatly on to the big question: [/i]Star by Star[i]. How did you respond to it initially, what do you think they were trying to do, and how has your 'fic reacted off that? [/i]

[b]JD[/b]: Ah, the dreaded NJO novel, is it? How did I react initially? On a personal level, I was very sad to see the demise of my favorite character, Anakin. As an author myself, I was just flat out disgusted. I?ve never been a fan of shock and awe writing, and that?s all Anakin?s death was in

14. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    That was great :D I feel like I know JD so much better now ;) I did enjoy his insight on Anakin and Tahiri, and espcially the part about making stories more textured. I think a lot of writers are afraid to do that with fan fics and posting schedules, in which readers can forget a lot of details between posts.

I also enjoyed Thrawn bringing Dark Paths in [face_laugh]

Terrific first interview =D=

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Absolutely riveting interview. There's a lot there I'd like to respond to - so I may have to come back later.

It seemed to me like fertile ground to use to link three generations of the Skywalker bloodline, but it never really came to pass. In short, I saw a number of elements that could have been used to tell tales about not just two enjoyable and well-developed characters like Anakin and Tahiri, but the Skywalker/Solo clan as a whole. Unfortunately, all those loose threads I saw were never really strung together to my liking, and then along came SBS. But, thankfully, there is always fanfic.

That is a very interesting point as I too believed that the NJO was going to do just that - draw everything together so that Anakin Skywalker's story would be shown to have some kind of connection with that of his grandchildren. I was SO disappointed with the way the NJO just drifted off into random plot-lines. I agree - it was such a waste of potentially beautiful material.

I was also in total agreement with your view of Tahiri. She has such a fascinating and varied background - and in some ways the Vong aspect and the Tusken aspect are akin to one another. I look forward to seeing how you develop her in TSI. :)

Will post more later - have to go and cook dinner.

16. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Look mom, I'm famous! :p

Seriously though, I'm flattered people think I actually had something interesting to say. [face_blush] It was a learning experience doing this, I assure you. I had fun doing it, even if it was a bit nerve wracking at times. If nothing else, it definitely gave me a new respect for all those authors who have been interviewed on the boards before me. Anyway, thanks for giving me a soapbox on which to rant away, and for the very kind introduction. :)

JD.

17. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay here we go again.

I have also done my best to craft a post-NJO Anakin that is inline with the character development he underwent prior to his death-with, perhaps, a bit more Anakin Skywalker influence than was previously shown.
    Yes, that's one of the things I especially like in your stories - the echoes of the older Anakin in his grandson. It gives a nice sense of roundedness to the whole SW story.

I tend to see Anakin and Tahiri as the stable family of the next generation.
    Excellent point and I agree wholeheartedly. They are much more love-wise and relationship-wise than Jaina and Jacen.

Back to your comments on Tahiri - it makes one wonder if the reason Riina was able to survive inside Tahiri's brain was because there was already a fertile place there for her in terms of shared beliefs/attitudes.

I think that going into Tahiri's past would be an excellent idea. Is the old man she saw in the cave her grandad?

Good point about having a few basic themes on which to hang your structure which you can then flesh out. A story must cohere otherwise it wanders off on too many random tracks.

As I've said before in my reviews of WIK, I admire the panoramic aspect in your writing. It has a real movie-type feel. :)

Marvellous interview. I enjoyed the way it sounded like a conversation. :)

Thanks Thrawn and JD.

18. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Hello, folks! :D I understand this is the place to be. ;)

Great interview, JD . Very interesting points about Anakin & Tahiri... I especially feel the same about their relationship seeming so stable.

I hope you all aren't really let down when Tahi posts her questions for me. [face_blush] I'm not going to sound nearly so eloquent.

19. The_Slilent_One

The_Slilent_One Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    great interview. And i agree the NJO did not live up to its potential.

20. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Amen to that Slilent_One :)

I beg to disagree, TSF. :)

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    More people need to read this.

22. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yup ;)

Looking forward to TSF's interview as well :)

23. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    I beg to disagree, TSF.

Well, I'm counting on you to make me look good, Tahi ! ;)

24. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You don't need me for that, TSF. :)

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.