main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin 'n' Tahiri's Place

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Gr8terThanSumOfParts, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Well, I'm counting on you to make me look good, Tahi !

If I would have done the interview I would have tried to make you look bad :p I'm just that kind of guy.

Wait until I interview McEwok. By the time I get done with the text from that interview he'll be using double-negatives and playing the banjo.

2. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Yeah, well we know how you love torture your characters (not to mention readers), so that dosen't surprise me! :p

3. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    It's not torture if you really love them... just like stalking! Or atleast that's what I tell Natalie Portman's lawyer and her friend who keeps trying to serve me with that subpoena.

4. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
  5. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    YK: just like stalking! Or atleast that's what I tell Natalie Portman's lawyer and her friend who keeps trying to serve me with that subpoena.

You too, huh? [face_mischief] :p

JD.

6. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I've heard Natalie really likes guys who use double negatives and play the banjo. ;)

I wonder if the same technique will work on Ewan?

Just to let you guys know that the interview with TSF is almost ready to post.

So watch this space.

NB: No innocent readers were injured or tortured in the making of it.

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay, guys. Here it is.

Anakin 'n' Tahiri's Place is very pleased and excited to bring to you totally cool, and obviously highly discerning ;) , A/Ters the first in a series of interviews that focus on our faithful readers. For, indeed, where would any of us who are writing fics be without them? Whether they're the provider of extensive critique or the I'm-here-and-still-reading sort, the whole fic-writing shebang would collapse around our authorial ears if not for our fantastic readers.

Not only do they support us and our stories, they often provide us with a new perspective on our writing, or help us solve those irritating wrinkles in the plot that crop up from time to time. And we get to know them as friends, which is probably the best aspect of all.

So without further ado, I'd like to present a reader who many of us already regard as a great friend and supporter: drum roll, please for TahiriSoloFan.

I first met TSF in my Many Happy Returns thread, and found I soon began bumping into her in some of the other A/T threads I was following. She is one whose critique has been incredibly useful to me, especially when it comes to characterisation, and, in the process of various discussions about SW issues, I found to my delight that we not only share similar views about SW, but also about family and life in general.

TSF lives in the United States and is a busy mum with four children - three boys and one girl. She has been a SW fan since she was little and remembers playing SW with her brother - she, of course, playing the part of Princess Leia. I didn't ask what part her brother played, but as brothers are usually essentially evil, I think I can guess - and it wasn't an Ewok or a droid.

Like a lot of us, she didn't realise the OT story had been continued until one day, at the library, she discovered Zahn's trilogy. Since then, as she puts it, she has read everything she can get her hands on. She enjoys continuing storylines, so SW suits her very well that way - and not only in terms of professional fiction. And is that brings us back to the topic of fan fiction, I guess this is a good point to begin the questions:

Tahi: What was it that got you into reading fan fiction in the first place?

TSF: I started posting at the Lit. boards and then followed a link from one of my pals to the fanfic sites. After I got there I was hooked.

Tahi: We all have different things that spark our interest, so what is it that attracts you to push that first link to a fanfic?

TSF: A good title can pull me in, also the character that I enjoy. After I come to know an author is reliable, I will read their stuff regardless of subject matter, most of the time.

Tahi: What kind of things must a writer do to keep you reading?

TSF: Reliable posting, good grammar & spelling, good plot development, reader interaction . . . if you have most or all of these at least some the time, I think you'll manage to keep your readers happier and they'll stick with you from story to story.

[Tahi hears the bit about reliable posting and cringes, ;) but grits teeth bravely and carries on.]

Tahi: As a fan of both the Anakin-Tahiri and Jag-Jaina (cough, splutter - just kidding ;) ) relationships do you see any aspects common to both? For instance, are there any similarities in Anakin's and Jag's personalities, or in their dealings with their respective partners? Or are they total opposites?

TSF: For me, it was a matter of instant chemistry. I felt something special for them from the first time I read about Tahiri and Anakin, and the same for Jag and Jaina. I have a similar feeling for Luke/Mara and Leia/Han. They seem to mesh in a special way. In a lot of ways I think their relationships are mirrors of each other - they complement one another and balance each other out.

Tahi: Random and slightly odd question - but I'm curious to find out

8. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    That was great :D I especially liked the part about TSF writing all the fics she reads down on a yellow pad. As someone who still does most of his writing with pen and pape, I can identify. I also agree with pretty much everything she had to say about the NJO :( And of course the comment about Anakin and Tahiri having "instant chemistry" ;)

Great interview, a lot of fun to read :D

I've heard Natalie really likes guys who use double negatives and play the banjo.

You don't not say? *Strums banjo like the kid from Deliverance*

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Not that I'm not meaning to not confuse you, Yoda, but I wasn't being completely truthful. ;)

I meant to post that interview using the Gr8terThanSumOfParts nickname - whoops. Sorry about that.

Glad you enjoyed it. I agree about pen and paper - it is much under-rated in these days of computers methinks. :)

10. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Tahi: I wonder if the same technique will work on Ewan?

You won't be looking out for no Obi-Wan/Formbi 'ship in Outbound Flight, then...? :p

- The Imperial Ewok

11. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    I especially liked the part about TSF writing all the fics she reads down on a yellow pad.

And here I thought I was one of the only computer illiterate people on the boards! 8-}

12. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thrawn
    You won't be looking out for no Obi-Wan/Formbi 'ship in Outbound Flight, then...?
    Formbi? George Formbi? Imagines Obi waiting at the lamp post at the corner of the street in case a certain little lady passes by. ;)

TSF
    You the only computer illiterate one? Heavens no, there are scores of us. If I was a bit more computer literate I'd start an interest group. ;)

13. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    I don't know Tahi , it took me ages to figure out that I could reply to people by copying & pasting their replies! [face_blush] What kind of interest group do you want to start?

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I thought of starting an interest group for the computer illiterati so we could celebrate our ignorance. But then . . . I'm too computer illiterate to know how to start it. :D

Don't worry - it took me ages to realise that anyone could post comments in people's story threads. For some reason I thought there was some sort of special process you had to follow to do it.

And then Moff_D had to explain patiently how to add people to my watched user list. LOL

Actually I didn't know how to copy and paste either until somebody explained how to do it and use the mark-up codes for italics.

So you are not alone. [ET music]

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Newsflash

The next writer interview is imminent.

A cyber chocolate fish to anyone who can guess who it is. ;)

Clue: What do you get when you mix a Chiss with a native from Endor? ;)

16. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    ... grabs chocolate... =P~

Would that be Thrawn McEwok ? ;)

Guess I should have waited to see if
    I was right before taking the prize... [face_blush]

I really wanted that chocolate! 8-}

17. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I'm more interested in who the incredibly handsome interviewer is...

:p

18. Gr8terThanSumOfParts

Gr8terThanSumOfParts Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2004
    Welcome to the third in our series of author and reader interviews here at Anakin n' Tahiri's Place :)

I'm very pleased to announce that today's interviewee is non-other than everyone's favorite blue-furred, Scottish Ewok: Thrawn McEwok!

Thrawn McEwok has written dozens of fan fics on these boards (and I recommend checking them all out ;) ) many having to do with Anakin and Tahiri. Dark Paths is probably best known and is easily one of the best stories to grace the Beyond boards. This epic story is filled with mystery, action, and emotional turmoil, as it sees Anakin Solo returned from the dead in a manner reminiscent of his grandfather, and leading a war against the GFFA. Things are never as they appear though, as Tahiri is actually married to Jacen Solo, who is more than the Jedi Master turned leader of the Federation that we see at first glance.

I won't say anymore for fear of ruining some great surprises ;)

McEwok has also written Complications and Once a Warrior, which tell unusual tales of an Anakin/Tahiri romance.

Today's questions will be asked by me, YodaKenobi :)

I talked to the Imperial Ewok about Anakin & Tahiri, his fan fiction writing, those unattainable Golden Ewoks?, and of course his personal life? details below ladies ;)

[b]YodaKenobi[/b]: [i]You seem to have some fairly unconventional scenarios that involve Anakin and Tahiri in your stories. The sharing of one body in [/i]Complications[i] comes to mind, as well as the bizarre [/i]Once a Warrior[i] and even [/i]Dark Paths[i]. Is there a reason why you tend to write these sort of tortured romances between these two characters? [/i]

[b]Thrawn McEwok[/b]: Well... most A/T 'fic is in one way or other a response to the NJO, and that means taking into account what happened to Anakin in [i]Star by Star[/i], and, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent, what happened to Tahiri in [i]Conquest[/i] and [i]Reunion[/i].

I'm not saying that's all there is to it, but if you're going to do something that relates to an existing storyline, you're going to have to start with the story elements you already have, and either build on them, or react against them. I suppose it [i]would[/i] be possible to write a 'fic in which Anakin and Tahiri had a perfectly 'normal' relationship post-SbS, but they had to make her 'forget' her after every meeting to keep it secret... and even there, there's plenty of opportunity for both complications and comedy...

Of course, there are other options: [b]Tahi[/b], for instance, has written a wonderful AU in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/13068925/]At The Oasis[/link] which is about as far from "tortured romance" as you can get...

[b]YK[/b]:[i]Well, since you brought up [/i]Star by Star[i], we may as well get to that question now, as it's pretty much a requirement for talking about Anakin and Tahiri :p : Besides the fact that you credit it with helping you come up with some very original storylines, what was your reaction to [/i]Star by Star?[i] Both the overall story as well as Anakin's demise?[/i]

[b]TMcE[/b]:Well, my initial reaction was something approaching awe. :p I definitely enjoyed the novel, but on my first readthrough, the climax, the bit that the plot seemed to sweep inexorably towards, and which practically made me jump to my feet and dance the Fanboy around the room, was the Battle of Coruscant, and Luke Skywalker climbing back into the cockpit and getting back to what he does best - tactical-level starfighter command.

At the time - or at least in my initial review - I read Anakin Solo's death as just an incident [i]en route[/i]; its initial impact for me was as part of a wider storyline. I don't mean to diminish it a

19. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    [face_thinking] Hmmn. That was some interview. heh heh. Who made the decision to have Yoda interview Thrawn?

:D :p

Guess we should contain all the craziness into one interview, ay? :D

20. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Hey, _JoD_! :p

[face_blush] I don't know whose idea it was - probably Tahi's? [face_mischief]

That said, I thought Yoda did a good job on the interviewing side...

I just hope my answers made sense! :eek: :p :_| ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

21. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Okay, I'm confused, who do I send PM to about my story? Thanks. :)

22. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    Ok...what I want to know is how I've missed reading Dark Paths all this time. I've tried to start Sith Inssurection a few times, but must admit the size is daunting me. Probably I'm going to think the same thing of all Thrawn McEwok's stories, but I can tell I'm going to have to muddle through!

Good interview, guys! =D= Very insightful! :-B I'm feeling smarter already. :D SW...not only fun, but educational too.

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    [sorry about spasmodic capitals - am holding baby]

fantastic interview - like tsf i feel suddenly more intelligent, too. ooh and btw - looks like tsf got the choc fish. :)

Sometimes, I think it's a subtle and brilliant plan, other times, that it's an incredible accident or expression of the Collective Unconscious, other times again that it's just me over-reading horribly.
    yeah - i know exactly how you feel. i probably tend to waver most often between the last 2.

agree about tahiri being kind of a misfit right from the start - which probably explains why she and anakin paired up at the start.

i think i've read an iain banks novel - it was a few years ago and was about a gamesman caught in a kind of real life game. does that sound like him?

military history is interesting - there's a resurgence here in NZ of books about Gallipoli, which is i suppose a pivotal moment in defining our nationality - although some would argue it was the 1905 All Black tour - LOL Anyway - i was obsessed for a while with books about the Battle of Britain due to my dad being in the RAF.

your comments about tahiri and grief reminded me of an idea that bothered me for a while - which was along the lines of it being a necessary impetus for her to resolve the Riina-Tahiri dichotomy inside her. in other words I wonderedf if the writers were implying that as long as Anakin was around then he would keep Riina at bay, although she would still be there and hence Tahiri would be, in a sense, "incomplete". So in a sense he had to die to let her develop her two aspects. But it's not an idea i like, or want to believe.

Anyway - marvellous interview with lots to think about.

Great questions yoda - and the pants look fine. ;)

24. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    tsf: [face_blush]

tahi: yeah - i know exactly how you feel. i probably tend to waver most often between the last 2.

[face_frustrated] I'm pretty sure there are plans going on, but whether we're reading them right is another question entirely...

agree about tahiri being kind of a misfit right from the start - which probably explains why she and anakin paired up at the start.

True, actually... those two do tend to go off and do their own sweet thing... :)

i think i've read an iain banks novel - it was a few years ago and was about a gamesman caught in a kind of real life game. does that sound like him?

Yep, that's The Player of Games... one of his best, IMHO; I'd be interested to know what you made of it, though...

military history is interesting - there's a resurgence here in NZ of books about Gallipoli, which is i suppose a pivotal moment in defining our nationality - although some would argue it was the 1905 All Black tour - LOL Anyway - i was obsessed for a while with books about the Battle of Britain due to my dad being in the RAF.

:D [:D] Hence the X-wing thing? :cool:

your comments about tahiri and grief reminded me of an idea that bothered me for a while - which was along the lines of it being a necessary impetus for her to resolve the Riina-Tahiri dichotomy inside her. in other words I wonderedf if the writers were implying that as long as Anakin was around then he would keep Riina at bay, although she would still be there and hence Tahiri would be, in a sense, "incomplete". So in a sense he had to die to let her develop her two aspects. But it's not an idea i like, or want to believe.

I think that it's to do with the writers having plans, but not necessarily good ones... ;)

Or, possibly, the writers implying that society has expectations, but not necessarily good ones... [face_thinking]

Either way, I can see the impetus, but I don't think it's a good thing, either... the Anakin/Tahiri/Riina balance was much healthier IMHO than the square-set 'stability' that Tahiriina would imply...

Thankfully, the character's so far turned out stronger and smarter than that... ;)

Anyway - marvellous interview with lots to think about.

[face_blush] Thanks! But, shush... :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

25. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, I read the gamesman book a few years ago, so my memory is a little shaky - as the last couple of years have been a bit too action-packed for my liking thanks to DRL. But I found it fascinating because it was quite different from anything I'd read before. I both liked and disliked the main character - but was still compelled to find out what would happen. It was an amazingly imaginative book - and I liked the way he went into such detail about the "world" of the story. I can see why you would like him as that is what you do, too. It made it not only plausible, but palpable if you know what I mean. :) (It's late and I'm suffering from sleep deprivation. LOL)

Yep - I agree about the T/R/A triad - so much could have been made of that. I've always said that IMO Anakin would have found T/R to be exciting, and as you pointed out, I think, there would have been plenty of room for OT style humour.

You made the comment about how some might read the EU in terms of the OT - well that's me definitely. I know I use the OT as the measuring stick for everything to do with SW. Hence I really liked the Rogue Squadron comics - in fact I have pretty much that whole collection. I thought Keyes captured that OT style in his books, as did the guy who wrote Shadows of the Empire. (Now there's a book I want to base some fan fic on.) To an extent I thought McBride Allen got some OT style into his Corellian trilogy, too.

Must make time to read more of Banks's books. :)

An announcement
    I thought you guys might want to know that Qwi Xux gave birth to a little girl. :) Qwi has written quite a few A/T stories - the links are in the A/Tindex.

All the best, Qwi. :) And good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.