main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin 'n' Tahiri's Place

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Gr8terThanSumOfParts, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hi there, Courtney. Yup - we all agree with you that Anakin and Tahiri are tops.

What do you guys think about organising an on-line discussion about the A/T threads? It would be great if we could become a bit more proactive - and the problem as always is TIME. What would be cool is if we had more people involved with specific jobs - preferably people who don't have too many DRL things likely to explode in their faces on a regular basis. (In other words - no kids! LOL) Seriously - if we could spread the jobs around a bit, we'd be able to get a lot more done.

For instance - it would be nice to have some regular writers for the A/T Resource thread who could write short reviews, do interviews and maybe do some adverts for new stories. It would be fun to run the thread like a kind of mini-magazine. :)

I'd suggest AIM but my AIM always plays up, so maybe we could just agree on a time and open a discussion thread in Resource. Then all we have to do is get as many A/Ters as possible to log in at that time. My work schedule from December 9th on gives me Tuesday-Thursday off, so on any of those nights I could stay up without it being a problem. (My time zone is such that I am about 18 hours ahead of EST, and about 21 ahead of PST.)

What do you guys think? Workable or not?

2. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Tahi: preferably people who don't have too many DRL things likely to explode in their faces on a regular basis. (In other words - no kids! LOL)

Your kids explode?! :eek: :confused: [face_laugh]

:p

Seriously, though; happy to join the discussion if it's timed well for me; and as to more general thread stuff - I have no idea what, if anything, I'm any good at, but I'd like to help! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

3. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Hi :)

I'm the n00b in this place but anyway eager to help
    Love to join the discussion if it's possible from the time

~ Mags ~

4. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Cool bananas. That's three of us. I'll send some unsolicited PMs around to as many A/Ters as I can think of - LOL - and we'll organise a time.

5. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    You can could me in of course ;) Great idea, Tahi =D=

6. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay. This is a message for anyone interested in helping out with this A/T Resource Thread. We'd like to try and make it more of an interest zone for both readers and writers of stories that focus on Anakin and/or Tahiri. I'm going to be sending some PMs to people who I think might be interested, but please feel free to post here with your expressions of interest.

What we hope to do is to make a time that suits as many of us as possible and open a thread here at the Fanfic Forum to talk about ideas for the thread - and hopefully to assign jobs. There won't be anything too onerous - as naturally we all want to enjoy ourselves - but it would be good IMO if we could get a group of people together who could be responsible for things such as organising reviews, short articles/adverts, interviews of both readers and writers, and anything else you'd like the thread to offer - challenges for example. :)

Anyway - post here and let us know what times you can be on-line to talk about all this.

I am free Tuesday-Thursday NZ time, which is Monday-Wednesday USA time. I could do weekends as long as it's in the evening as I work until 5pm. (I think 5pm Saturday here is about 8pm Friday PST.)

7. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    When I can be online depends on each day and each week but I am trying to have time whenever.
    But when you open a thread anyway why not just giving the discussion a time limit like a week and then let us all decide who wants to do what. Then we all are not bound to the time differences that much. Anyway just a thought. :)

~ Mags ~

8. The_Slilent_One

The_Slilent_One Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    hello all

Just a quick question and some shameless advertising for my fic.

I have started a story based around Tahiri's past (Parents/grandparents), though i only have one miniscule post up atm.

My original concept was to have dream sequences withing dream sequences (one post long) from different points in the timeline (starting from order 66 period) detialing key events in Tahiri's past.

Now i'm wondering whether to stick to the orignal 1 post per sequence plan or whether to put more depth into each one before moving on.

Comments?

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Mags
    You make a good point there. And maybe we could just use this thread rather than open a new one. Perhaps I should extend the invitation to everyone to try and be here at a certain time, and anyone who can't be here can post their ideas later. That way we'll hopefully get something concrete to work on.

Slilent_One
    Feel free to advertise - that's what the thread is for.

Personally I like the idea of the dream sequences, but I think you do need to link them somehow. Either that or simply write them as a series of viggies - as if they were scenes from Tahiri's family tree, like a kind of genealogy. :)

BTW - would you like to help out with this thread? We're hoping to get a core group of interviewers, reviewers, publicity people and artists to run the thread like a magazine. :)

10. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    sounds after a great plan ... :)

*starts to think about what can be done*

11. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Whitey checking in. I have no social life, so I'm free to do whatever you ask of me. :p However, I'm certainly not the best man (who am I kidding? boy) for any of those positions, and I don't exactly read much else other than 2 or 3 fics, but I'll do some odds-and-ends.

12. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Mags and Whitey - thanks. And no problem there, Whitey. We'll put you to work. Mwahahaha.

Will post a plan for the discussion soon. Just waiting for the last lot of replies to the PM I sent.

Any ideas people have will be very welcome - so feel free to suggest anything. As long as it's neither illegal, immoral or fattening, we'll consider it. ;)

13. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    I'm Ewok-tired right now, but I'll try to think of things!! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

14. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    You know I'll do what I can to help, Tahi , but my timing is hit & miss at best! :p

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks, Thrawn. :)

Don't worry, [bTSF[/b], the whole idea is to have enough people involved so that we can all come and go without it being a problem. That's been the trouble up to now. If we have several people taking care of different aspects of the thread, there should always be something happening, and no-one will feel it's all up to them. :)

I'm a bit hit or miss, too. LOL

So far it's looking like most people are on-line in the mid-evening, however some of you are in EST and some in PST or inbetween the two. That would be morning for Thrawn and Maggy, and late afternoon for me. What's the difference between the USA time zones? I know 5pm here is 8pm PST, but thanks to Daylight Savings Time - which I deplore - I've lost track of the difference between NZ time and EST. I think 5pm here is 11pm EST - but not sure. Of course 5pm here is about 5am in England, and probably about 6 or 7 am where Mags is.

Preferences???

16. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Well, I'm in! ::sits around waiting for orders::

17. The_Slilent_One

Sep 19, 2004
    Dont forgget that Australia has its own variety of EST. For most of the year atleast i'm bout 3-4 hours behind NZ and the east coast.

18. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks Courtney. :)

Yep, Slilent_One - I'd kind of factored in that time difference in my thinking although forgot to include that above, Sorry. Going senile. :D (By the way what's your weather like? Ours is till very changeable.)

At present, the following people would like to be involved:
    Maggy - who this week is available between 12am and 5pm board time.

JediAlly - who until January is available pretty much any time.

Jek

Whitey - who can be on-line in the evening

Destiny - who will try to be here at the time we agree on.

Courtney Solo - who is usually available before 4pm.

Thrawn

Yoda - who is usually around between late afternoon and early morning.

Slilent_One

TSF

JDH3 - although more as a supporter as he has a lot of demands on his time.

And me.

So how's this for a suggestion? On Tuesday (Dec 20th) - which is Wednesday for Slilent_One and moi - I'll make sure to be on-line at 2pm board time. Whoever is available then can come to this thread and we'll have a chat about things we can do and who wants to do them. I think that time will suit Thrawn and Mags as well as Courtney, JA and possibly Destiny and Jek.

Then we'll take a break and I'll log in again at 8pm board time - which might suit Yoda, Whitey, TSF, JD and Slilent_One (I think that'd be about 1-2pm Oz time). And we'll chat some more (hopefully over a nice Churban Brandy.) ;)

If that sounds like a plan, we'll go ahead. Obviously - anyone can post ideas, or offer to take on a job at any stage in between or after those times. :)

Things to think about:
    *how do we want to run the A/T resource thread - ie. what do want it to do?
    *do we want a kind of monthly format with regular features - eg. one interview a month (of either a writer or a reader), a couple of reviews, a kind of "what's happening in my A/T fic/s" update from all the writers. and a few little snippets about whatever tickles a contributor's fancy - eg. a review of a profic book, any kind of research article on A/T eg. a timeline, a bit of humour, etc etc.
    *do we want specific people to be in charge of certain things, or do we want 2-3 people to take responsibility for each area and work as a team?
    *do we want Anakin back? er . . . silly question
    *what would YOU like the thread to do? Original ideas welcome. :)
    *how can we utilise some of our talented artists? eg. a cover art service for A/T writers?
    *do we want a kind of overseer who coordinates everyone?
    *do we want a fairly structured format - ie. (assuming a four week cycle) week one - interview; week two - review etc., or do we want it to fly casual? :D
    *do we want challenges?

Remember we also have the ATindex as the repository of links to A/T stories old and new.
    Which reminds me - Yoda, are you still okay about doing that? And if so, do you need a helper?

That's probably enough to get started. :)

19. The_Slilent_One

Sep 19, 2004
    i am in sri lanka for christmass and things r getting busy here so i'll do my best to be online.

also i have herd that the JC is movine to a new server or some such and that the old thread links will no longer work. This may cause somewhat of a headache regurding the A/T index.. or ne index for that matter.

A fully structured approach would be nice but given everyones time constraints i dont think it would work very well in the long run. I personally think we would better of settleing for a loose structure which allows more flexibility.

As for the resource thread... i think it would be better left as a meeting ground for A/T authors (and readers of course) to discuss ideas and the like.

thats my 2 cents..

20. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    as far as I know the moving will not happen. they are staying on this server.

I will spend my evening with scrowling through other character threads and indexes [face_whistling]

21. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I believe that'll make it 11 o'clock tomorrow night, my time. See you then.

22. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    10pm and 4am? I'll try to be there for one or the other!

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's a great idea Mags. :)

And thanks for the input S_One. It's busy where you are? It's getting that way here, too. I'm avoiding town like the plague as I hate shopping, but I'll have to make one more trip in the next few days.

Cool - thanks Thrawn and JA.

Another point to consider, guys, is the Scrapbook thread. We closed that down last year, but it could be unlocked if we wanted to use it again. For a while there we used that thread for challenges, so there's another idea to throw into the pot.

C ya soon. :)

24. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I REALLY like the magazine thingy idea A LOT. :D Pardon my lack of knowledge spelling wise. I am like that. :p

25. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yes it could work well, and ideally - if enough people were involved - it wouldn't be too much work.

[sets out Xmas cake and Bakuran sweets and arranges chairs around the Xmas tree for friends]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.