main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin 'n' Tahiri's Place

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Gr8terThanSumOfParts, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    *joines the round*
    hi :)

the magazine idea sounds interesting

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It could be a lot of fun. Did you manage to look at other resource threads, Mags? I know quite a few run challenges.

At the moment we have this thread - which is our resource thread; the ATindex for story links and also we could if necessary unlock the scrapbook thread and use it again.

Personally I'd like to turn this thread into a magazine type thingy so we could have not just writers but readers involved. After all - where would we be without readers?

Here's the list I posted on page 4 for reference. Maybe we could start working through the points - but feel free to bring up anything at any time.

Things to think about:
    *how do we want to run the A/T resource thread - ie. what do want it to do?
    *do we want a kind of monthly format with regular features - eg. one interview a month (of either a writer or a reader), a couple of reviews, a kind of "what's happening in my A/T fic/s" update from all the writers. and a few little snippets about whatever tickles a contributor's fancy - eg. a review of a profic book, any kind of research article on A/T eg. a timeline, a bit of humour, etc etc.
    *do we want specific people to be in charge of certain things, or do we want 2-3 people to take responsibility for each area and work as a team?
    *do we want Anakin back? er . . . silly question
    *what would YOU like the thread to do? Original ideas welcome. :)
    *how can we utilise some of our talented artists? eg. a cover art service for A/T writers?
    *do we want a kind of overseer who coordinates everyone?
    *do we want a fairly structured format - ie. (assuming a four week cycle) week one - interview; week two - review etc., or do we want it to fly casual? :D
    *do we want challenges?

3. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I wondered if one idea would be to have a group responsible for interviews and reviews, and another group responsible for "features" which could be anything they want - so this would suit people who'd like to be a bit creative. This group could involve any artists. ;) That way - if people think of good ideas along the way, they have the leeway to try them out.

4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    *runs in gasping*

Sorry I'm late...

I totally lost track of time! :_|

And a certain Austrian didn't think to mention it in our ongoing IM chat! :mad: :p

My fault, though! [face_blush]

- The Imperial Ewok

5. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    sure I looked them up.
    mostly there are a resource thread and a index thread. Yes they nearly all run challanges, some just for fun others with winners in the end

think we should melt the resource and the scrapbook together (yes I also took a look on it)

yes it should become a place where readers and authors could met outside the storythread

I tend for a monthly update with news, stories, reviews whatever

*hands Ewok a cookiee*
    and I am still no mind reader :p [:D]

6. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    [Pulls out a chair for Thrawn and hands him a nice glass of mulled wine.]

Help youself to the Xmas cake. ;)

7. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Sadly, I can't stay long as dinner beckons, but thoughht I'd drop in regardless. Anyway, hello all!

8. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I got confused by the time zones :oops: But I'm here [face_blush]

*eats cake*

9. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Hmm... my first thought is, without prejudice against this would a 'fic-and-chat thread in ByTS work better than anything in WR?

... or should we even try to reopen the Death Star Disco Lounge? :eek: [face_laugh]

*Ewok asks this from changing-room as he hurriedly changes into his disco-dress Grand Admiral's uniform with the gleaming white fabric, gold-bullion trim and rhinestones* :p

A "magazine"-style format could have "columns"... and also competitions...

Obviously, the main thing is, whatever we do - it should be A/T based; and it should be primarily, inherrently readable!!

- The Imperial Ewok

EDIT: Thanks for the cake! *munches* :D

And the mulled wine! *hic!* :cool:

[:D], Tahi!!

*waves at Mags, Yobi and JD*

10. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks for that research, Mags. :)

Yes - when we were told that we couldn't have 3 threads in Resource we did combine the scrapbook with this thread. Probably - as you say - that would still be the best arrangement.

We have a scrapbook thread in the ByTS forum where we used to post the edited contributions to the scrapbook, too, which is still there. So we could keep that one. :)

What do you think about having winners for challenges? It would require a judge or a panel of judges each time.

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yay! [hands cake and wine around to JD and Yoda, and slaps Yoda's hand when he tries to take 3 slices. Tut tut. Pace yourself boy, pace ypurself.] ;)

Ah - the Disco Lounge - [drags out Mistral style suit from cupboard and winks at Boba Fett poster] Fond memories.

Hey - that IS an idea, Thrawn.

Do you still think a resource thread here is workable as well? We want FUN and we don't want anyone to be overloaded with work. Those 2 things are important.

12. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I would be willing to be a judge of challenges since I never participate in them :p

13. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    What do you think about having winners for challenges? It would require a judge or a panel of judges each time.

*sighs* having winners and searching for voluteers for judges each time would take a lot of time. Also it would mean that the fanbase and authors are more then the handful we are here currently. I am not very eager for announce winners for challanges. (May also be that I am scared of such things :p )

14. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Checking in. I think it's best that we have several people in charge of each section. That way, a section isn't delayed because the person responsible is confronted by DRL.

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Cool - :) That would work well.

Are you still okay with doing the Index, Yoda? Or do you need help?

16. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    We could have votes? [face_thinking]

I think one thing we want to look at is having the smartest, best thread out there! Something that *looks* amazing, visually, and full of awesome content, which I know I'd get with you guys on board!

-TMcE

17. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Umm, I'm not even sure I have the password anymore [face_blush] Did you ever put back all the stuff that got deleted? I can probably update it soon.

18. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    [offers JA a slice of Xmas cake and a glass of mulled wine] :) Great to see you.

I agree. I think a group would be better because there's always going to be DRL things cropping up. It's unavoidable. Team work is IMO the best way.

And if we thought monthly was too much work, we could make it every two months.

Or have ongoing reviews and other features with a two-monthly interview - so it's a fairly fluid type of thing.

19. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    an alternating magazine kind of thing .. so that every month something different is in the previous month.
    for example regulary are the newest fics in and news and then is put in a review and the other month an interview

20. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Oh, I also think it might be best if we locked the A/T index and started a new one. Having everything jammed into one post makes updating a nightmare with all the coding and stuff.

Edit: And jagsredlady has agreed to help me with the A/T index so we should have it covered ;)

21. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    mhh.. might be a good idea :)

22. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Umm, I'm not even sure I have the password anymore Did you ever put back all the stuff that got deleted? I can probably update it soon.
    I have the password. No I didn't even try and put that stuff back because I was afraid my computer would do the same thing again. :( I am going to retype the links so I can PM them to you, and then you can add the missing section. ;) I'll send you the password too.

Yes, Mags, choosing judging panels is a pain. I agree. But if Yoda is okay about being chief judge that would solve that problem.

You're a good artist, Mags - would you be happy to add some illustartions as the mood moves you? I also wondered if we could have a group of artists in the thread who writers could call on to do cover art.

Any comments?

23. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I'd feel better if there were a couple more judges. I don't want to be the sole person deciding who wins and loses :p

24. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    Yes, Mags, choosing judging panels is a pain. I agree. But if Yoda is okay about being chief judge that would solve that problem.

Yobi and a judge 8-} :p

You're a good artist, Mags

[face_blush] you think? thanks :)

- would you be happy to add some illustartions as the mood moves you?

sure, why not, a month is enough time that I can find some spare time for this ;)
    no it's not that bad :p

I also wondered if we could have a group of artists in the thread who writers could call on to do cover art.

I volunteer if someone is interessted and I have time for it
    as Yobi already knows it needs time and imput from the writer and the artist, and a lot of discussion time so that details get covered.
    the writer and artist should be happy with the result

25. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Now there's an idea, Yoda.

Have you some ideas about how to format it? I agree that links are a nightmare to type up.

One idea would be to reformat it as an author index - with each author having their own section to which they can add their stories with links. That would mean very little work for you. Basically - when an author adds a new story to their list, they can PM you and you could edit the thread header to announce an update.

Edit: Red is willing to help? Cool bananas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.