main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Anakin & OB1

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by SithLord_1270, Mar 2, 2012.

1. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    In ANH, OB1 said that Anakin was a very good friend. Personally, I don't think that their relationship was shown this way in the movies. Looked more adversarial in the movies. But in the show, they look closer. More like brothers as OB1 claimed in RotS or ANH.

What do u think? Do you think their relationship is better portrayed in the show or the movies?

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I definitely think their relationship in TCW works as a better precursor to Ep. III than their relationship in Ep. II. Only the bastard Hayden Christensen pronounces it O-B-1! [face_sick]

3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't think it's needed, but I guess it helps show them as friends more, even if they're not exactly in character. As usual, I think the micro-series nailed it better than TCW.
    ???

4. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Both the microseries and TCW depicted their relationship ALOT better than the prequel trilogy.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    He pronounces it "Obi-Wun" or "Obi-One" almost all the time. Everyone else says Obi-Wan" with an "ah" vowel in the "Wan." Christensen puts an "uh" there. Hence OB1.

6. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Am I sick or does this sound like a shipping topic? :p

This topic is irrelevant. What are we supposed to discuss? Anakin and Obi-wan are friends......or are they MORE than that! :eek:

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It seems we are supposed to be discussing the Toronto native pronunciation of Obi-Wan.

But yes, TCW does a great job showing the friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. I love the prequels but there is the issue of way too much material to be shown in six hours' running time. Thankfully TCW fills in the gaps.

8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I agree, and especially the "brother" relationship they had in the micro series.

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Except for old Obi-Wan, who calls himself 'Obi-Wen'. :-B :p

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    You mean Alec Guinness? When does he say it like that?

11. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    What the PT did well (Adversarial? Eh... it's complex) TCW does a lot better.

12. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    How awful.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Not as awful as his acting, but yeah, the pronunciation was pretty bad.

14. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    I think their relationship was portrayed the best in the first 30 or so minutes of RotS; they have great banter, they work in sync, it's really just a great feel of how close the war has allowed them to grow to each other. There's also a few scenes later on such as Obi-Wan defending Anakin against Mace and Yoda (a reversal from AotC), their walk in the Jedi Temple where Obi-Wan sadly tells Anakin that the 'Council' is asking him to spy on the Chancellor and not him, and that he's on Anakin's side, and their last scene together before Obi-Wan leaves. But that's pretty much it for the movies.

My favorite EU depictions of them come from the pre-RotS novels such as LoE and RotS novelization. There's something about their relationship on this show and in this universe that does not feel quite right. Perhaps Obi-Wan feels off to me, perhaps it's the addition of Ahsoka that throws off their dynamic idk. IA that the microseries did it better.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Funny you should say that, I kind of look at the opening 25 minutes of Ep. III to be an "episode" in the Clone Wars, if you will. The final episode really, although hopefully TCW will do some stuff concurrent to the film.

16. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-WM_Ed6W8

Around 3:40 ;)

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Sounds like an "ah" to me. Still, an "eh" would be closer and less annoying than an "uh."

18. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    He totally says 'Obi-W(h)en', I've been noticing that all my life.

19. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Yep, he does say "Obi-When". And Jan Jodonna refers to Leia as "Leeah".
    But hey, let's get back to bashing Hayden Christensen.[face_tired]

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    He deserves it.

21. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Matt Lanter makes Hayden look Oscar worthy...heck he makes Mat Lucas stellar!!! The guy is a flatline- I suppouse that their relationship was one of the few things that made the show enjoyable despite the atrocities committed with Anakin and to a lesser extent Obi but when the show begun "dumming" OW in order to emphize Anakin's cool factor like in the Slaves arc, (the last straw for me in regards to the show, haven't watched it since) it lost the little charm it brought to the show for me. I feel that while the show does a fair job portraying the lighthearted aspect of their relationship, it lacks the underliyng tencion due to unresolved issues that at least to me is cristal clear in ROTS....Obi & Anakin loved eachother but they never really completely understood one another; something I believe the Micro Series was far more successful in showing inspite its limitations.

22. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Such venom, Lady_Skywalker87. I suggest you let go of your hate and start catching up on some TCW episodes.

23. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Not venom rumble... just honesty.[face_peace] As for catching up; not happening any time soon as it s bad for my well being. Why watch something that I cannot longer enjoy?

24. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Well, if you go in expecting not to enjoy it, then your expectations will likely bear out. You need to have an open mind and not go in with pre-conceived notions about what the episode should or should not be.

25. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008