main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Anakin & OB1

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by SithLord_1270, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    :D Nice to see ya around again fanboy!

3. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    It's a meme. Starting at 1 rather than 0 is also called an Obi-Wan error.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, the show isn't over yet. And given what the Council did to Anakin in the last arc--with Obi-Wan complicit in the whole cluster**** of a deception--I'd say there is plenty of room to build that underlying tension.

I'm glad that the show has shown Obi-Wan and Anakin bantering and having fun together, because I felt that was sorely lacking in the films, and I blamed that on time constraints--the fact that Anakin had to be shown turning to the Dark Side, and in breaking down the length of the movies and all the other material that had to be shown as well, Lucas and Co. had a very limited amount of time to show Anakin's relationships (with Obi-Wan, Padme and Palpatine) and his turn.

And I like Matt Lanter. And Hayden Christensen. :p

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I actually think Matt Lanter holds back and doesn't do as convincing of an acting job as he could to stay true to Christensen's version of the character.

6. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    If there's one thing Later doesn't do it's holding back. I like how he handled the character in the first three seasons, but now he instantly turns into the Hulk whenever he's upset. Especially during the Slave Arc. It's can be quite jarring. But I guess this might as well be the writer's fault. Or the animators for not giving the character enough time to develop the momentum for an outburst.

I don't want to turn this into a PT Anakin vs. TCW Anakin (vs. CW Anakin) discussion, though. That part of his performance just irks me. Also, IMO HC's "Nooo!" was more genuine than ML's during the future vision scene in the Mortis episode.
    And you gotta have a good "nooo". I mean, that's basically in any SW actor's contract now, isn't it? Right next to the "I have a bad feeling about this." line agreement. :p

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I wasn't saying that seriously. Just bashing Christensen. I can't help it.

8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    When Lanter starts raging, that's when it goes south for me. I can't stand when he turns into Christian Bale's batman (with mask on).

Sorry, that's how I interpret his voice.

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I can see similarities, but it's no where near as bad. That kind of ruined the new Batman films for me.

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I swear, at one point, Lanter said "Where are they?!?!" a la Christian Bale batman style in an episode. Took me right out of the episode. :oops:

11. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I remember that. I think it was in one of the Zygerria episodes.

It reminded me of this. :p

However, Anakin's anger in the Rako Hardeen arc wasn't done badly, IMO. It was cold and venomous, often violent but less like the Incredible Darth Hulk than the films' Anakin after his mother dies or after he gets sliced up and left to burn.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I remember that, and I didn't think that but I can see where you're coming from. To me the difference is that was at talking volume or maybe a little louder and the reason Bale's thing gets so annoying is that it's a whisper. They're both restrained but Bale sounds extreme. Also, Anakin is angry, so it's rational to sound like that, Batman is...trying to sound like a bat or maybe trying to sound scary? [face_pumpkin] So more differences than similarities, I think.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Lanter does a good job playing Anakin.

14. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Lanter does a terrible job playing Anakin.

I mean: Seriously, who is that guy who's training Ahsoka? Anakin in AotC and RotS is soooooooooooooooo different, it's not even funny. Even when Hayden's Anakin was lighthearted, there was always this undertone of misery... he was never this kind of cheerful. It's not just Lanter though, it's also the animation.

As far as developing Anakin & Obi-Wan's relationship goes, I blame 'The Phantom Menace'. Not to bash the movie, but in my honest opinion there's just nothing really important happening in that movie, not in the scope of the saga. None of it matters, really. And the couple of things that do, could have been easily handled elsewhere. Prequels should have started with Anakin as Obi-Wan's padawan, AotC timeframe. Then they could have focused on the actual war, and then RotS.

15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    This has been repeated ad nauseum, but I guess must be repeated again: Lanter has made Anakin into the hero he was meant to be, despite best efforts of Hayden Christiansen to make him not so.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, he wasn't, but Hayden, at least at that time, specialized in playing angsty teenagers and young adults. His character in Higher Ground--where Lucas and Co. first noticed him--was that of an abused 16-year-old kid, and his character in Life as a House made AOTC Anakin look calm and mature.

I don't really think that Anakin Skywalker was meant to be a miserable person, but with the limited amount of time that we are able to see him in the last two prequels, his more miserable moments are all we are given. And as you said, even in his lighthearted moments such as the speeder chase scene, the Varykino scenes with Padme, and the opening scenes of ROTS, the underlying misery--that which made him turn to the Dark Side, the whole point of the prequels--was always there.

TCW, given its longer running time, gives us the chance to see Anakin's more cheerful side--and I believe that cheerful side was always there, the prequels just didn't give enough time to display it and still incorporate all the other plot points.

I don't think Hayden made an effort to keep Anakin from looking heroic, I just think that the limited amount of time in the film caused us to see far more of his anti-heroic moments--again, since we had to see him turn to the Dark Side and that had to be a slow buildup.

TragicHeroLover132 likes this.
  17. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    ^ I for one actually really liked Hayden's portrayal of Anakin. Any shortcomings are more due to the way the prequels were written than anything else. I don't think his acting is as terrible as people generally make it out to be. I thought he was particularly great in RotS.

That's all fine and dandy, and I can understand their intentions, but IMO they just took it a little too far, and there is too little connection with the Anakin I'm used to. Ah well. There are worse things about this series.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm actually a big fan of Hayden's; I've seen everything he's done except "Awake." His portrayal of Anakin was good, but again there wasn't enough material to give the full scope of his character, not enough time to show his more lighthearted moments. And that could be chalked up to the writing, or Lucas being unwilling to go past that two-hour-and-20-minute mark in the films.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Not sure where this thread is going because we had an old one on the same theme, but I agree with rumble, Tarkas, et al.

Lanter does a pretty decent job. Hayden was absolutely terrible, minus a couple of scenes in ROTS. Blame him, blame Lucas' direction, blame Lucas' script, blame all of the above.

My wife likes SW but can barely stand to watch AOTC and ROTS because of him.

Lucas gives us a little kid in TPM who says "Yippee!", a whiny teenager in AOTC, and finally in ROTS when he is getting to be interesting, he has to turn to the Dark Side in approximately 45 minutes.

But now I'm getting on another PT rant and we know where that leads.

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Jake Lloyd is terrible

Matt Lanter is terrible

I don't mind Mat Lucas

I've seen Hayden act well and that was in Shattered Glass. I mostly blame the script and Lucas's directing.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Hayden's brother directed Shattered Glass, or at least he helped produce it.

It's funny, because I see so many comments from people who thought AOTC Anakin needed to be slapped; I didn't feel that way, at least during most of the movie. Stephen Glass, OTOH, made me want to go through the screen.

But that was probably the point.

22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    The thing is that Hayden's Anakin is the definitive prequel Anakin. Lanter does an OK job, at best, at VAing but he is terrible at playing Anakin. Although I suspect a lot of that also has to do with the writing and direction of TCW, by casting Anakin as the charismatic, suave action hero figure that he just isn't.

23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The only other movies I've seen with Hayden Christiansen in are "Life is a House" and "Jumper". I don't mind Hayden to much. I do think Matt Lanter does a great job in TCW most of the time. Lol totally irrelevant but besides that Matt Lanter is hot IRL. Over time I've gotten to where I kinda like his Anakin better. Anakin sounded funny and boring to me when I watch half of ROTS on Spike a while ago. But it'd been a long time since I'd seen any of the prequels at that point. I had that experience with a few characters vs their TCW counterparts. I've never been a big fan of Mat Lucas who really sounds flat and emotionless to me in the old Genndy series. He really doesn't sound much like Hayden at all to me despite being some kinda voice double. I think the problem there lies in the fact there isn't much dialogue in the old Genndy cartoon and he was still in the company of really good veteran voice actors. That's kinda like how a feel about Steve Blum. The guys a decent voice actor but when they put him in a show next to really good voice actors I really start to realize how overrated he is.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Here's the irony though: I'm not telling anyone what to like or dislike, however, there have been so many complaints about Hayden's Anakin not being "heroic enough," being "whiny," emotional, angsty, etc. But Matt Lanter's Anakin is smooth and heroic, and people are complaining because he isn't like the AOTC Anakin?

I don't get it. For people who didn't like the AOTC Anakin, wouldn't TCW Anakin being presented a little differently, be a good thing?

25. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I dislike both for different reasons. But Prequel Anakin will always be Hayden's depiction, as shoddy as it was.