main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin Padme Romance makes sense now, finally!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jedikobe, Mar 12, 2015.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Aka the only one dumb enough.

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I feel that's one of the reasons Padmè fell for Anakin. His honesty and sincerity must have been so refreshing to her.

To be fair everyone in Palpatine's Office believes the army to be necessary by the time Kenobi is captured. Jar -Jar did what he thought necessary and palaps made sure to emphasize he would have Padmè's blessing.

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I think so, too. :)

4. Estelita

Estelita Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2001
    Yes, you could say he was brutally honest. To a violent degree.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've seen quotes from Portman around the time of the flick that Padme fell for Anakin because he's "a bad boy" and I do agree to an extent. Padme and Anakin know each other from years ago, now he's grown up, and expressing a romantic interest towards her which is verboten by the Jedi. She even asks him if he's allowed to love and he bounces back with the "encouraged to love" line, which is probably the slickest line Anakin has in the whole trilogy. Hellova lot slicker than "are you an angel" randomly?

corinthia, Eternal_Jedi and mes520 like this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Well, in his defense, it is kinda a sweet line. Also one has to remember this is from a nine year old.

7. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    I like the novel, and I agree that it adds an extra element of depth to Anakin and Padme's relationship, but it wasn't required at all to convince me they were in love. I really don't understand why so many people are confused by their relationship in the films. It was one of the things that attracted me to this series the most.

He liberated her from her strict role as a senator and helped her to take herself less seriously. You can see how she starts to light up around him and let herself laugh. The forbidden aspect of their relationship is classic and a huge appeal for me. I always see people commenting that Padme should have been afraid of Anakin because he was "creepy," but women are infamous for falling for the tortured soul types in fiction. The dialogue wasn't Shakespeare, but it was sweet. I think people look too hard for reasons to hate these movies.

8. Estelita

Oct 29, 2001
    That's one reason I disliked it in SW; it's one of my problems with the portrayal of women in fiction. I dislike seeing strong, intelligent women fall for jerks and enable their behavior.

I don't know who you mean by "people" but that doesn't sound fair. Just because I didn't like the dialogue or the portrayal of their relationship doesn't mean I was just looking for an excuse to hate the movies. I enjoyed many aspects of the Prequels and disliked other aspects, and in both cases my feelings were honest rather than looking for reasons to hate anything.

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Yes, he was the only one dumb enough to actually feel a sense of duty to the people he was supposed to be representing. That's true.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    in real life just as much.

11. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    I really don't get what the logic is behind this... Why would somebody want to dislike films? I, for one, wanted so much to enjoy these films (TPM, AOTC ROTS) but..I find it really difficult to because of scenes like these; because of the 'narrative' impetus of scenes like this..among other things.

12. Estelita

Oct 29, 2001
    So in both real life and in fiction! It's this "women" are "infamous" that sounds sexist and unfair to me. "People" make mistakes. I don't see why it has to specifically be women.

I agree and wanted very much to like the Prequels, heck, here I am right now trying very hard to be fair and understand them better! But I got the impression that Padme was more of a plot device; the ending was already written, the plot called for her to marry someone who became Darth Vader and it was difficult to make that happen and still portray her positively, so she does dumb things to fit the narrative. And it supposedly makes sense because "women are like that."

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can and do buy into the idea that Anakin made Padme laugh and relax. The meadow scene showed that.

The rest of this discussion has been done before, and didn't go very well.

I do not think Lucas is sexist, nor do I think he wants men and women with post-1950 mind sets to hate these movies, therefore, the romance has to make sense for reasons other than bull**** stereotypes about how women in our world handle relationships.

Maybe it isn't supposed to make sense, maybe Lucas didn't care if it makes sense or not, and maybe he is just doing a throwback to a time period when a belief in bull**** stereotypes was considered acceptable, and female characters in fiction were portrayed horribly.

That's his prerogative, but it's hard to blame people who like 21st century relationship portrayals for not enjoying it or buying into it.

If Anakin and Padme had corresponded between TPM and AOTC, if Anakin had not killed the Tusken children and told Padme about it, if he had not choked her, and if she had just left him and gone into hiding with the children after he fell, I think the romance would have been received better. That and if the dialogue had been better.

only one kenobi likes this.
  14. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    How did starting a galactic war help the people of Naboo?

15. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Right..because no woman has ever wound up in an abusive relationship....and the ones who do are..dumb?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Both men and women have ended up in abusive relationships, and it's not because they're dumb. The inconsistency of Padme's character from TPM to ROTS was discussed in a couple of other threads; I only took issue with her behavior after he turned.

There is also the fact that since Luke and Leia are the heroes of the OT, viewers might have wanted to view their parents individually and their relationship in a more positive light, and were disappointed at finding them more frustrating than relatable or likeable.

17. Estelita

Oct 29, 2001
    How does objecting to the repeated portrayal of women as "infamous for falling for the tortured soul types" because it's not only women who do it translate to saying that "no woman has ever wound up in an abusive relationship"? I said it's "people" make such mistakes, including women but not just women, so women shouldn't be the group made "infamous" for it. There's a distinction. Just because I don't like seeing it portrayed over and over to the point it has become a tired old trope doesn't mean I'm denying it has ever happened in real life.

As for dumb, yes I think Padme did some dumb things. She was an intelligent person who in some cases should have known better and I would have liked to see a portrayal of her that didn't rely on her being in denial. That doesn't mean I'm saying that women who get into abusive relationships are necessarily dumb. There's a distinction.

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    calm down.

19. AuroraRogersSkywalker

AuroraRogersSkywalker Jedi Padawan

Apr 11, 2015
    Going back to why they fell in love, I also think that "want for what you can't have" has a lot to do with it. We see that feeling in real life all the time! As a simple example, you know how people always say that people with straight hair want curly hair and vice versa? I'm sure this played a part with Anakin and Padmé as well.

And I agree with whoever it was back there that said it's not very hard for two hot people who lead very stressful and isolated lives to fall in love.

20. Estelita

Oct 29, 2001
    How is this constructive? You could respond to what I actually said instead of making a condescending suggestion about my supposed emotional state, which by the way I have every right to.

(Honestly I suspect you're just being purposely ironic, considering I was JUST talking about how women are treated unfairly, and your response is an example of another way women get treated unfairly -- but if you were just kidding then that was not clear.)

Not hard compared to what? People who are not hot? People who meet in a calm, social environment? I guess some people do and some don't. My experience is different, but I suppose it does explain why the two of them had trouble relating to each other as people rather than objects with which they could act out their neuroses.

I mean I can understand how going through stressful experiences together could spark something, or wanting what they can't have is what makes them interested in each other, but that's no basis for a healthy relationship. But it helps me understand why their relationship goes sour.

21. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014

I'd really like to understand why people insist on disliking them myself. It's just that some fans are only ever going to like the OT, and anything post-RotJ will never measure up. I think I was lucky not to have discovered Star Wars until I was older because I didn't end up blinded by childhood nostalgia like a lot of fans. I'm able to enjoy all the films with an open mind, not restricted by any particular formula I'm expecting them to follow.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

Again...what's with the "insist on disliking them"? I don't "insist" on it, I just have problems with aspects of the films. Why if someone disagrees with another person's taste is there an insistence on projecting some motivation other than.....what they say it is, like "nostalgia"...whatever effect that is supposed to have on watching something else...

I actually don't understand what the supposed motivation is meant to be in terms of "insisting" on disliking something. I mean, what does that even mean? That I actually do like it but can't admit it to myself? Say what!? I don't even get what the notion even is.

Trust me when I say that I dislike the movies for exactly the reasons I say I do. It really is the most straight-forward way of understanding what people are saying.

23. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    It's not that I think EVERY fan who dislikes the prequels is closed-minded; that just seems to be the case with most I've seen. I'm sure there are some who genuinely dislike them for valid reasons, but when I see certain fans picking them apart for some of the problems that are JUST as present in the OT (bad dialogue, whiny characters, underdeveloped villains, dated-looking effects -- practical or otherwise, etc.), I don't know what else I'm supposed to think.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Anakin and Padme's three year marriage wasn't abusive to me, except for that one moment in which he strangled her in a fit of anger on Mustafar. Why do people keep saying that their relationship was mainly abusive? Because he became a Sith Lord?

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It only takes that one moment to define the relationship as abusive.

Now if someone said "He abused her in AOTC," I would agree with you, I don't see it either.

only one kenobi likes this.