main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Anakin/Padme romance vs. Han/Leia romance

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Seagoat, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Bicker flirting doesn't equal chemistry for me. Han/Leia doesn't strike me as any more "real" or believable than Anakin/Padme. They're both heavily stylized, but on the whole the courtly love annoyed me less, mostly because the waterfall picnic scene was a great, naturalistic moment of characterization. For me Han/Leia could've used something like this, where the stop the screwball antics for a bit and maybe share a conversation about their past.

Ezon Pin and Seagoat like this.
  2. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Their reactions aren't strong but how a person deals with grief varies. With Leia, the crime is so monstrous that think the film had to get past it quickly otherwise it could have made the film much too dark.

In any event, the events they react to are gone over rather quickly, the death of Shmi and the Tusken massacre were a bigger event in AotC and was very important to Anakin.

The Padme reaction or lack of it bothers me more because a) I found it out of character for Padme to dismiss mass murder so quickly. And b) her reaction in RotS when Anakin kills children again is a lot stronger. She dismissed mass murder and murder of children with essentially, "It happens, no big deal, you are only human." but when it happens again then she gets very upset. Yes the situations are somewhat dissimilar but still she knows what Anakin is capable of.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface.

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The thing is though with the Sandpeople, the majority of people see them as less than people.

"Those Tuskens walk like men, but they're vicious, mindless monsters"

It's a lot easier to accept the death of something you see as an abomination as opposed to one of your own kind, which is accepted as a good, mostly morally ethical race. It doesn't make it any less egregious, but I believe that was Padme's pov

Ezon Pin and Saga Explorer like this.
  4. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    A majority in the SW galaxy or a majority of posters on this site?

Cliegg Lars didn't like them and for pretty good reasons, they took his leg and his wife and killed a lot of people he knew. He might not have cared very much that Anakin killed women and children.

But Padme I never saw as someone who was a "racist", one who only cared about humans and despised non-humans.
    So her not caring about non-humans getting killed but suddenly caring when humans are killed, that explanation doesn't work for me. It doesn't fit her character to turn a blind eye to mass murder, humans or non-humans.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

5. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015
    You scared me for a second, I thought you said: "You may have seen the thread about addressing the "Anakin is a stalker" nonsense. That sort of LIES into this

Thankfully, your post is right