main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin Podracer flag cut from TFA

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by vncredleader, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So apparently Anakin's flag from the trailers which was shown outside Maz's castle was cut. JJ said it was cause they "wanted to not make it all about podracers" so they could "do their own thing". Cause when I think doing your own thing I think constant references to the OT left and right. I mean come on would it kill the guy to throw us a bone? He went out of his way to make PT fans feel even less included. I was happy with the film but the more JJ talks the more I am glad we are getting Rian aka someone who actually seems to welcome people with different opinions and doesnt shun two massive groups of a franchise just cause he doesnt like them. I use to defend JJ but more and more I think that he only cares about the stuff he likes and doesnt give a ***p that people have other opinions. Once again in Rian we trust.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, that scene was totally about pod racers until they fixed it.

3. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh yeah I mean remember when Maz looked at finn then suddenly shouted "Now this is podracing". Or when Rey started talking about how cool Sebulba was.

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ...is what Finn shouted until JJ changed it to "I'm a stormtrooper".

dagenspear likes this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    ridiculous.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  7. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Doesn't make sense whatsoever.

Its not like anyone saw the flags in the first place, just little things.

Gamiel, dagenspear and B99 like this.
  8. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    gee maybe it's because they thought it would be a wee bit implausible to have 66 year old podracing flags from a race on tatooine that nobody ever heard of.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  9. mackmitchell94

mackmitchell94 Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2016
    Smh prequel racism

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's called an easter egg. It's not meant to be noticeable or cause continuity concerns (not that it would create any). Do people question the plausability of the title of a movie made in the early 70s being referenced in every single Star Wars movie? No, because it's an easter egg. An inside-joke. It wouldn't hurt and it's understandable that some would appreciate a PT reference in the middle of that OT pride parade called TFA.

11. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    JJ can't have TPM tainting his masterpiece which has saved Star Wars from that mean old Lucas.

12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it isn't what they wanted so they changed it. it wasn't to personally put your panties in a twist. it was an easter egg in the trailer that was changed for the release. so now "fans" are complaining about something not being there that's not meant to be noticeable anyway? wtf? stop being offended by nothing.

if these are people's real life complaints then they must lead a charmed life.

13. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

JJ Said he "wanted to not make it all about podracers" so they could "do their own thing"

Honestly, was it really about the podracers in the first place? It was a simple easter egg, and now, he had to make it seem bigger than it is.

14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's his movie! what he meant was he wanted them to have their own characters, stories and backstories in tfa. he wanted some flags with ties to things but more new stuff. he wanted to add new things to the universe in his film. not to erase the pt which is what everyone here has a problem with.

the people who made it bigger than it is are the people in this forum!

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  15. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Wow, so it goes without saying that you must have it made as well if you're real life complaints are about complaining about other people complaining about pod racer flags in a movie?

Anyway...That's not why they were removed! Abrams himself said it was because he didn't want the flags to be all about Pod Racers and they wanted it to be original and their own stuff.. It had nothing to do with being an Easter Egg for the trailer only.

Figures, one of the few times Abrams wants to be original, and do their own thing, and it involves removing some of the background, Easter Egg references to the Prequels...

There are still a few references to the pod racers and the PT era there, but, they are a lot more obscure... I think part of Sebulba's flag survived, and Zero the Hutt from TCW survived... Probably a few others but they are really harder to see now..

Notice the mandolrian flag is still front and center and in full view... I guess Abrams didn't mind an easter egg all about Boba Fett.... again, OT = Good and stays, PT = disposable and unoriginal...

Since it seems Maz likes to collect things associated with the Skywalkers, see ligthsaber, it would have been a nice touch to keep at least Anakin's flag visible for an easter/egg and even a little bit of backstory possibilities...

Edit: I correct myself, looks like Zero's flag was removed... And both of Boba Fett's flags survived...

16. Kururu

Kururu Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2007
    "Wanted to not make it all about podracers", from the creators of "a desert, a real desert".

The whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    obviously no one understands that quote properly. btw how many people read that blurb on a clickbait site and didn't read the whole interview when it came out? pitiful grudge holders.

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  18. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

So why don't you explain it to us... because here is the part from the actual rolling stone article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...the-biggest-movie-of-the-year-20151202?page=8

It is quite clear from the rolling stone article that Abrams is referring to the flags, and that his quote is in context to said flags and that they wanted to come up with their own flags in that scene and not have it about podracers.

Once again, what is telling here, is that he wants the PT stuff removed, yet, leaves the OT symbolism front and center! If removing the flags was about doing their own thing, than why does both Boba Fett flags survive?

As others have said, Abrams makes the big deal about this by removing them. Of course the fandom is going to notice and want to talk about why, especially when his reasoning for doing it (originality) doesn't quite mesh with the fact that the one of the biggest flags there is mined from the OT.

So if you have any other information to provide to us about how we don't understand what he says, please, provide it.

19. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    It's revenge for Lucas putting Jar Jar and the Gungans at then celebration of ROTJ SE.

20. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Podracism

21. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Yea that's pretty gross. I'm a JJ fan despite hating TFA, but stuff like this makes me question all of it. All of this bull**** seems so inauthentic. Stop lying about stuff and just say what you think, the real motives behind stuff.

So sick of all the veils. Money talks, I guess. But to remove FLAGS that are in reference to anything PT is petty and makes the bias pretty transparent. I guess Simon saw the flags and gave JJ a lecture about how art can somehow be empirically bad, and he conceded. Whatever.

And **** all this "grudge holders" nonsense. Stop diminishing others' opinions with this ****.

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

22. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    As an OOT fan, sorry but I have to laugh at what JJ is doing because Lucas has tampered with the OT movies for years with his silly changes. Now JJ does one little edit and you guys are up in arms.

But as many SE fans threw in my face for years and I will say it to you guys now, "Its JJ's movie and he has every right to do what he wants with it!"

23. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't care that he changes stuff, but for sure I care WHY he changes it. His intent is what I have an issue with.

24. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Hmm...Your a bit hyperbolic there.

The basic most simplistic concept of editing the film is , but this is a different context.

25. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    But maz is a thousand years old. Kinda stands to reason that some of those flags are old. Also she collects stuff of historical importance and she likes the skywalkers so she easily could ahve hunted it down. Also who cares if its implausible? Finn leaning on the chess table was convenient but that was fine. It doesnt matter if its kinda strange cause its a backgound easter egg. There was no reason to cut it.

Sure he has to right to change stuff but we also have the right to be annoyed at said changes.

Yeah Lucas changed stuff cause he is kinda airheaded about the special editions, JJ did so to remove a minor easter egg for stupid reasons that are likely a veil. Also isint it great when someone defends something with the "well this person did that thing badly as well" statement? I mean how is the fact that Lucas did the same thing which made people angry at him for years at all a good defense for JJ doing the same thing? JJ should have learned from Lucas's mistakes on that one.

Exactly its petty. Keeping it there was not gonna harm the film or make people feel that JJ was unoriginal cause a freaking flag. By taking it away he drew attention to it more then if it was just in the background.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.