Jedi Anakin ROTS Costume and Lightsaber 2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Primrodo, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Knight

star 2
    i measured correctly too, and i think i went like 1/4 inch extra for room, and still the boot had alot of room in the toe area. I didnt want to spend the money to send them back though. With some insoles i was able to get a bit tigher fit. Next time ill order them slightly tigheter if i need a new pair.
  2. MadKidJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey, gang: Looky what I stumbled across.

http://www.goldxinxing.cn/xxlr.asp?tab=CPML&menuid=2264&menujb=4&PAGESN=2&FIND_FR=&KEY_WORD0=&KEY_WORD1=

Top row, center pic.
  3. MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Knight

star 2
    very good, verrry good commander. Nice find man, that is a def plus for those who want to make their own belts.
  4. The_Real_Darth_Mule Jedi Knight

So, here's something on the robe fabric. I meant to comment earlier on this topic, but I got a little sidetracked. Now, I remember reading somewhere about wool gauze being used somewhere on the costume. I may be making that up. I don't remember anymore. At any rate, look at this find:

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=Q960

It's a brown wool gauze. Now being as one who actually knows a little bit about fabrics, although I have never seen the swatches in DAG, I can give you this much info. This gauze (I do have a swatch) is about twice as thick as denim, tho not very dense. It has a visual texture very similar to crepe. It's much more of a robelike fabric than crepe.

Here's the problem with crepe tho. And this my be why Monari's seamstress has many of you perplexed with the "it's too thin for a robe" comment. Crepes come in different weights from sheer to about 16oz. which is a little thicker than denim. So be careful you know what you have. You don't want a sheer robe. Well, Tally might for her femme ani.

Now for those of you that have the swatches from DAG, the best way to tell if it's crepe or gauze is by comparing the two sides of the swatch. If they appear virtually the same on both sides, it's gauze, if the texture is less prominent on the back side, it's crepe. I'm wanting to suspect gauze because of something Danakin said: "The only difference being that the actual swatch is a slightly looser weave". Gauze is less densely woven than crepe.

Just my thoughts, and a lovely link.
  5. DanakinSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Chris, could you scan your gauze swatch? It's hard to make out much detail in the FFC photo. I hope it does have the right texture as I am in desperate need of robe fabric, especially at that price.

I just checked my crepe sample and my DAG swatch and both look the same on each side, with the DAG swatch just a smidgen more fuzzier on its opposite side. On another note, you can see the same amount of light shine through each when held up to the light.
  6. Primrodo Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah I was going to say each side is actually slightly different. The DAG swatch is not loose per sei, but I to would like to see a swatch of Gauze...
  7. MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Knight

star 2
    interesting find, would make a good robe in any case. But i cant see that being anakin material. From the dag swatches ive seen the crepe is the material. The picture at the fashion site makes the material look like it has no weave at all, and just looks like a bubbled texture, almost reminds me of your old robe Dan. The stuff is a nice color though for sure. Lukes ROTJ robe looks to be that gauze possibley though. From an exhibit picture i have the inside texture is fuzzier like this guaze stuff. Hmm now im even starting to wonder.

Im also getting a swatch of monaris stuff so i can check as far as weight goes for how it feels to my robe and the stuff i found for todd.
  8. The_Real_Darth_Mule Jedi Knight

I could always drop it in an envelope and send it to someone that has the DAG samples. Justin seems like the most likely candidate for this examination. FFC does a 1/8 yard sample, so I have plenty to swatch by. PM me. In the meantime, I'll try to locate where I stashed the swatch. Could be anywhere.

But to clear things up a bit... Crepes are usually ever so slightly more textured on the "right" side. In other words, there is a right and wrong side to crepe. Gauze has no right or wrong side.

Also the gauze would be a bit more breatheable due to it's weave. It's nice stuff. I'd almost prefer it to be gauze, because I'd prefer to wear it.
  9. DanakinSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    If that's the case then the DAG swatch is more like crepe, like I said mine is slightly fuzzier on the back of it. PM sent for the gauze swatch though.
  10. Monari Jedi Padawan

Hey, has anyone ever ordered from Montana Leather? If so, how have you guys found them?

I got an offer from a leathersmith here in Ottawa for $250 canadian for the tabbards, but made out of full grain cowhide. However, I was referred to a good leather guy who'd be willing to do the tabbards for $100 cad, provided I supply the material. Since Montana's seems to have the best price, I was going to go with their stuff, unless people have had bad experiences with them.
  11. The_Real_Darth_Mule Jedi Knight

I've dealt with Montanna Leather in the past. Not for the tabbards tho, and I was meaning to get a swatch of their "Distress" color lambskin to see how it matches up. The folks are great tho. Top quality stuff that I've got from them in the past tho. They are the only people I know of that do partials as well. I needed some heavy leather for a project once, and didn't want to drop $100 bucks for a whole hide and have alot of waste, and they were more than happy to give me a 1/4 hide.
  12. Monari Jedi Padawan

Well, I got in my contacts and wig yesterday. Kinda disappointed with both, to be honest. The contacts I bought were the "Darth" ones from CoastalContacs, and while they looked nice in my hand, when I put them in the darkness of my green eyes showed through the yellow to give it a very dark/almost greenish yellow tone. But, you can only really notice it close up, from a distance they look good.

The wig though....hahaha, I put it on and, well, it's gonna need a lot of work haha. Right now it's got a crazy lady thing going, but i'll soak it, style it with some pomade, and hopefully it'll look a bit better.

Hey Morgon - on your boot spats, did you glue them together first, THEN sew?
  13. MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Knight

star 2
    yea i glued it all and then had my mom sew them some.
  14. xFALLEN_JEDIx Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey all,
    Just want to drop on by and see whats crackin!

Still have the black tunic with black leather tabbards that I need to get rid of. Hit me up if you are interested. I have some contacts too!

Mike
  15. The_Real_Darth_Mule Jedi Knight

Hey all,

A couple of you have PMed me about swatches of the fabric I found. I'm still looking for it. I know I have it somewhere because I saw it two weeks ago he I was reorganizing my room. Just gotta find where I stashed it.
  16. Matt-K Jedi Padawan

does anybody know where I can find Anakin's glove? Not those Rubies' inaccurate version. I'm looking for accurate ones.
  17. MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Knight

star 2
    matt there really isnt something perfect yet. Either u custom make one from a rubbies, or from scratch, or get a davids glove from universial designs (can be hard, and its not perfect) , or jsut wait for the anakin glove someone is supposed to be working on for us.
  18. Matt-K Jedi Padawan

what is imperfect about the rubies version? what modifications do I need to work on that glove?
  19. Monari Jedi Padawan

Hey Matt, I had the very same questions, and although the thread is long, if you read through it, you'll find (as I did) pretty much all of your answers. A number of people have modded the glove and have all been very helpful in explaining what they did.
  20. MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Knight

star 2
    matt i would agree with monari, many of these answers are in the thread already, and honestly lol i dont want to type it again. First thing you need to do is look at your rubies, and look at the pics posted of the glove on the first page. Youll see whats missing on the glove.
  21. DanakinSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Even more reason that we need the reference site and forum. Any news on that Justin?
  22. MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Knight

star 2
    yea we need to get the forum up at least, thats all we really need right now. Just a page, and then we can build the real page around it afterward.
  23. Matt-K Jedi Padawan

How much would it cost to alterate the costume? I just bought mine on ebay and kinda regret buying it. by the way, does alterations cost a lot of money?
  24. MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Knight

star 2
    well man, everyone here has bought stuff that they regreated, and u will blow money on crappy things sometimes. IF u bought the whole costume the pants and boots, and main tunic should be salvageable still. If u could dye the main tunic darker then ur ok. The tabbards are crappy. U could nu-life spray them a dark brown. Moding something isnt really about $$$, most of us our gear ourselves.

PS. For any costume you make, please take time to really research a project before splurging, because ull just end up getting things ull regret. Even with research ull learn more and buy new things, but dont jump into anything ever without checking it out throughly.
  25. Primrodo Force Ghost

star 4
    I have yet to find a reliable host. I had a few places to check out, few could give me real answers to my questions. The only other issue has been paying for it, our cards from over the summer are nice and spent :p

Sorry to be delaying on this, but if everyone can be patient awhile longer we'll have sonsofthesuns.com up and running soon!
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.