main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin should have easily defeated Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Xenor, Sep 8, 2015.

?

Should Anakin have been able to defeat Obi-Wan?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    66.2%
  1. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    I dont understand it, Anakin is GOD. I dont see him losing against Obi Wan who could not even take out Dooku . He even lost to Maul in Episode 1 while in full dark side mode.
    I think the story should have been different like Anakin beats Obi Wan but then Yoda appears or something like this.

Look how much power he put in his strikes here and he is not even fully angry like on Mustafar
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC9cwS6Gv-Y&feature=youtu.be&t=1m22s
    People say its because Obi Wan was full on defence but that would take HUGE amount of Stamina to block Anakins attack. So either Obi Wan is concieved by the force too or it was false decision.

There is no way Obi Wan could last 7 minutes against him. NO WAY.
    He is cheating.

2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    He was able to defeat him, but his negative emotions were his undoing (and the positive ones eventually his redemption). So yes, he should have been able to defeat Obi-Wan, but it's pretty clear why he couldn't.

Hayden Christensen puts it really well: "Obi-Wan comes out with the better hand. But I think that's a result of Anakin's emotions and not being able to focus and control them, which is the root of Anakin's inabilities."

3. Delta RC-1138

Delta RC-1138 Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2015
    Pretty much what Alienware said.

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yep. Anakin was emotionally compromised. If he wasn't fighting his best friend & hadn't just choked out his pregnant wife he would've wiped the floor with someone of Obi-Wan's ability. That's my take anyway.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  5. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    Obi Wan is also one of the most powerful Jedi in the Order, and he was backing out from the fight with the first blow.. Anakin had to make a mistake, that's the only way for him to beat him.

6. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I never saw Obi-Wan as one of the most powerful Jedi. Above average, yes; but not one of the most powerful. He was lucky enough to fight an opponent whose emotions were out of control and whose fighting style he was very familiar with.

Alienware and Darth Downunder like this.
  7. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    He defeated two Sith Lords. He was along with Anakin the go to man for tough jobs. Only Mace, Yoda and Anakin are shown to be deserving of equal or more respect than Obi Wan.

enigmaticjedi and JEDI-RISING like this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anakin was nowhere near his full potential at the time and he felt he was invincible. he was wrong

.[​IMG]

pride goeth before a fall.

IHeartKenobi89 and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He was out fought by both of those Sith Lords. He won because he keeps a level head & can focus as well as anyone. He also got schooled twice by Dooku. IMO he's in the upper range in fighting ability for a Jedi but not at the very top end.

Alienware likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's not just about raw power. It's about discipline, patience, wisdom, and skill. Anakin lacked these and deservedly lost some fights.

11. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Monotonous reply but everything said above is true. The emotions of someone who has just turned to the Darkside and killed their wife has to be unstable. Anakin's skills bypass Kenobi's, but being emotionally distraught throughout the fight can take its toll.

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    The whole thing about Anakin being defeated by Obi Wan is complicated and completely believable. Anakin may be the chosen one, and may have the potential to be the most powerful force user in the galaxy and history of the Jedi/ Sith, but he still has many, many weaknesses.

One of which being he cannot control his feelings; his anger, his hate, his fear. Another is his arrogance, his belief that he is invincible and thus, his recklessness. If he was calm, and if he took a moment to reflect, he probably would gather that trying to jump over Kenobi on the slope was a fatal mistake. But no, he wouldn't be shown up by Obi Wan, and he was above everything and nothing could stop him in his mind.

Third, I feel he underestimates just how much Obi Wan loves him. Obi Wan saying "it's over, I have the high ground" and "don't try it," are exactly how they sound; they are warnings. Anakin thinks that by this point, Obi Wan is there to kill him. He doesn't believe he can be saved, even this early on. He's betrayed and destroyed everyone and everything close to him at this point. Instead of seeing Obi Wan as pretty much begging him not to make that leap and sign his "death" certificate, Anakin's arrogance and the belief Obi Wan could not possibly still love him has those words seeming more like a threat, challenge, and means to provoke him, instead of a heart filled plea.

Then on top of all these weaknesses Anakin has, Obi Wan just happens to have a bunch of pros on his side. He has more experience and more time clocked in as a respected Jedi Knight/ Master. He is calm, and can control his feelings. And above all, he knows Anakin's weaknesses, and he trained him for many years full of countless sparring and training exercises. Even Lucas said Obi Wan knows each move Anakin is about to make and can already counter it.

In all honestly, Anakin never had a chance.

13. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    Yeah he may be emotional confused at that duel but still...I still think Obi Wan should be no match for his skills.

Also can you imagine Obi-Wan beating Dooku 1vs1 like Anakin did or going into the Jedi Temple and fight countless Jedis and Swordmaster Cin Drellig?
    It was child play for Anakin and he dominated Bariss Ofee in this video who is quite skilled too.

Anakin was swinging his lasersword like a madman. I cant imagine the power behind it but still Obi-Wan could defend it ALL. I can only think for myself that Obi-Wan went somehow into Super Saiyan Mode else it just does not make sense.

Here at 2:03 - 2:27 Anakin is escalating there is no way Obi Wan can block that. Obi-Wan should have been defeated right there then it would be realistic.

Besides because of his hatred he should be even more powerful at least in the beginning of the fight.

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    what kind of argument is that? obi should have been beaten right there... except he wasn't. this is what the story is. the end.

15. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Without measured control, without precision, power is basically useless. It takes more than raw strength and relentless battering on your opponent to win a fight, as Anakin learned here.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Kenobi went to Mustafar with one goal, one mission - kill Darth Vader. Anakin didn't know what the hell he was doing. He killed all the Seperatists, but was troubled by his actions. He was happy to see Padme, yet willing to kill her mere minutes later. He wants to overthrow Palpatine and rule the Galaxy himself. Even with Kenobi, he's conflicted - pissed that he's there, but almost seemingly to offer him partnership/apprenticeship - "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy.". Made me feel like if Kenobi said h was on Anakin's side, then Anakin would've embraced Obi-Wan as a friend again. And the undercurrent of all this - Anakin's fear of Padme dying, still there, as he belives his new powers are the only thing that can save her..

so,again:

Kenobi - mission to destroy Darth Vader
    Anakin - I want to be the Emperor, I love Padme,but she turned against me, OMG what have I done, etc.

I really don't think Anakin could have won. Just way too much drama and conflict in his head. Combine that with arrogance, and not fully having a handle on his Dark Side power yet, and you have a very vulnerable Vader.

17. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Luck enabled him to defeat Darth Maul. If the latter had not hesitated and revel in his superior position over Obi-Wan, the latter would have been dead. And again, luck - along with being familiar with his opponent's fighting style - allowed him to defeat Anakin. I think Obi-Wan might be a bit overrated as a Jedi.

For a man who defeated two Sith Lords (with a great deal of luck), it seems surprising that he was easily defeated twice by Dooku, whom Anakin managed to defeat.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  18. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    If he'd simply stepped onto the bank of the lava river instead of attempting a triple somersault back-flip he probably would've won the fight. The way the fight was resolved with the "high ground" nonsense was poorly done.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think people make too much of that. I don't even see it as a literal thing more a philosophical one.

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Should Anakin? I think so
    Should Darth Vader? No

thejeditraitor and Alienware like this.
  21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That doesn't add up to me. Why would Obi-Wan suddenly say "it's over Anakin. I have the high ground" & then follow up immediately after with "Don't try it" if he were just speaking about the moral high ground? What a strange point that would be to make anyway at that time. Obi-Wan also motions with his arms when he says he has the high ground to signify where he was standing. It's a bizarre thing to say given all of Anakin's options to easily get onto the bank.
    So Obi-Wan's comment aside, what I didn't like was that Anakin had the entire bank to just step onto or jump a bit further along from where Obi-Wan was standing. Yes I get that Anakin was being arrogant & he was unstable etc etc but that scene was poorly done IMO. Vader's reason for being sliced up & placed in the iconic suit was due to a completely unnecessary bonehead decision on his part.

darksideDINO and Tosche_Station like this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Hey, whatever. :p

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maul got cut in half because of being a bonehead...

Palpatine got killed because of being a bonehead...

There's a pattern.

24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I'll give you Maul but I don't think Palpatine was guilty of boneheadedness. Arrogance maybe.

25. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Camp in high places, facing the sun. Do not climb heights in order to fight. So much for mountain warfare. -Sun Tzu

Have to disagree with you on that one, that bank was all slope, if he stepped off he would have little to no traction and would have to go up while having Obi-Wan bearing down on him. I also disagree that it was non sense because using the high ground is a tried and true method that's been used for thousands of years and more often than not leads to victory. It was perfect illustration of calm and rational Obi-Wan defeating brash and arrogant Anakin with tactical superiority, showing how consumed Anakin had become with his negative traits.