main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin should have easily defeated Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Xenor, Sep 8, 2015.

?

Should Anakin have been able to defeat Obi-Wan?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    66.2%
  1. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I always thought he had to lost that fight because this way the Force could reward Palpy for his clever plans and glorious victory. I have no doubt that if he wins Palpy would have gone next... And he would have been the emperor and he would have enjoyed it even less than him being a supreme commander...

Anyway have you realised, guys, that Anakin/Vader holds a unique record: he lost the biggest number of duels without being killed. A lightsaber duel is an easy receipt: if you lost it, you are dead...

2. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    People say Anakin lost because he made the jump at the end.
    But I'm sure Anakin would be able to beat Obi-Wan 20 seconds into the fight.
    Could Obi-Wan beat Cin Drallig while fighting two other Jedi?

[​IMG]
    Cin Drallig is said to be a master swordsman but Anakin defeated him without any problems.

But as I saw in other Threads it seems that Obi-Wan (ROTS) is almost godlike like super saiyan in DBZ.

3. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Obi-Wan was losing ground in that fight, but Anakin made a big miscalculation in maneuvers that has left him scarred for the rest of his life.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I seem to recall there being material to the effect that Drallig did actually slow Anakin down somewhat. I mean he obviously lost eventually but we only see the closing stage of a protracted duel. And the one thing Obi-Wan had that no one else did was full experience/knowledge of Anakin's specific version of every technique. He knew all the tricks and tells. Anakin COULD have had the same advantage but he favoured raw power over craftiness even before he went ape-dung with anger.

5. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    It's funny you mention DBZ (a childhood show I do like), people in many fandoms including Star Wars has a really bad habit of giving people "Power Levels".

"Person A beat Person B so his powerlevel is higher then Person C who couldn't beat Person B"

This is not how it works in Star Wars and in real life, fights have many many factors that effect the outcome. For example looking at the recent Kylo Ren fight (something I have argued people with in many different places). Putting it under spoilers just in case.

On paper yes Kylo Ren should of been able to wipe the floor with both Finn and Rey but when you look at the factors surrounding the fight, namely Kylo being severely wounded from the Bowcaster, emotionally on edge from the obvious reasons, and Rey "taping into the Force". All of these factors plus more allow for Rey to beat Kylo in the end.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    No.

Anakin wasn't more powerful than a much more experienced Obi-Wan who was in his prime, in a couple of years, Anakin would be more powerful for sure, but not yet in RotS.

Just as Yoda said, Obi-Wan wasn't powerful enough to take Sidious, but he could take Anakin.

7. Steve1988

Steve1988 Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Very believable fight could have went either way but I feel that obi wan was a more skilled fighter than anakin. Doesn't mean obi wan is more powerful but anakin was fighting foolishly and he was emotional during the fight. Obi wan was relaxed and focused.

8. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    Han't obi-wan always been overpowered though? In the first movie, the dude could hold back the powerful strikes from Vader's robot limbs and then become a ghost. The fight on mustafar is easy in comparison.

9. JediART05

JediART05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2015
    Obi-Wan had the Force to guide him and was calm and very focused, while Anakin was impatient and had a lot clouding his mind and judgement. I think Obi-Wan certainly had the advantage.

10. friedbantha

friedbantha Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    Couple of thoughts on this. First of all, Obi Wan is absolutely one of the most skilled duelists in the galaxy. Mace Windu himself says at one point that Obi Wan's mastery of Form III makes him a worthy adversary for any opponent. The lightsaber fighting forms are an important consideration here because Obi Wan was at a distinct disadvantage fighting Dooku, but at a major advantage fighting Maul and Anakin with Form III. Dooku specialized in Form II, also know as Makashi. Makashi is designed almost entirely for dueling another light saber wielding opponent and is weaker against multiple enemies. Importantly, however, it is not an overly aggressive style and is patient. This works against Obi Wan who engages a defensive style and is uncomfortable on the attack.

Anakin utilizes Form V light saber attacks which relies on overpowering force. Put simply, Form V is the most devastating type of attack a Form II user (Dooku) could face because Form II isn't defensive enough to withstand the full onslaught of a Form V attack, whereas Obi Wan's Mastery of Form III is the perfect foil for the style of attack employed by Anakin and Mace Windu.

Put simply - the fighting style employed by Dooku was a foil for Obi Wan and an advantage for Anakin, and the opposite was true in the Anakin vs Obi Wan showdown where Obi Wan's Form III Soresu has the edge. Here is in depth analysis of it all.

http://lightsaberacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/7-Forms-of-Lightsaber-Combat.pdf

Ultimately, however, if all this bores you (I get kind of turned off by it all to be honest) there is a much easier answer. When you're talking about Yoda, Anakin, Obi Wan Dooku, Maul and Windu you're talking about the greatest warriors in the galaxy. On any given day one can take the other. Ali was the greatest boxer ever and Frazier took one out of three from him. Sampras and Agassi were two of the best tennis players ever and the traded victories. Anything can happen at that level of talent and skill. Combine all of that with Obi Wans calm and Anakin's arrogance and you have the answer.

Those of you knocking on Obi Wan need to remember something - he is the ONLY Jedi to have defeated two Sith Lords in combat.

11. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    - Defeated Maul, but if you believe the Clone Wars series to be canon, Maul survived anyway.

- Got his ass handed to him twice by Dooku.

- Only beat Anakin because the latter was cocky and was fighting with fear and anger. Didn't kill him.

So yeah.

12. friedbantha

Dec 26, 2015
    Well let's look around and find a greater Jedi. Will one please stand up?

- Yoda - equalled by Dooku. Defeated by Sidious. No victories. One draw. One defeat. 0-1-1.

- Anakin - defeated by Dooku and Obi Wan. Victory against Dooku. 1-2

- Mace Windu - highly questionable win against Sidious who may have intentionally lost - 1-0

- Qui Gon - ran from Maul once. Defeated by Maul second time. 0-2.

- Luke - 1-1

- Obi Wan - defeated Maul. Defeated by Dooku twice. Defeated Anakin. Intentionally lost to Vader. Also defeated Grievous who was trained in Jedi arts. 2-2-1 plus a win over Grievous.

The numbers speak for themselves. Aside from Mace Windu's dubious victory, Obi Wan stands far above the others.

13. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I don't think so. Anakin was giving into his anger and couldn't stay focused enough, plus Obi Wan was probably familiar with his fighting style seeing how he taught him.

14. SEN. Padme N. Amidala_

SEN. Padme N. Amidala_ Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    You all have to remember, Anakin is Obi-Wan's padawan. Even though they are both used to each others moves, Obi- Wan is still older and wiser than Anakin.
    Also, Anakin's hatred was raging inside him causing him to not thinking before attacking. This caused him to loose many limbs in the end. [face_batting]

15. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    "Is the dark side stronger?"
    "No. Quicker, easier, more seductive."
    "But how am I to know the good side from the bad?"
    "You will know when you are calm, at peace."
    There are no power levels, only experience. Obi-wan drew from his fight with Maul to goad Anakin into doing something that would be his undoing.
    It's not a perfect scenario but Lucas had kind of painted himself into a corner with this duel anyway because we all knew the outcome before it even started. I think a bit of dialogue during the fight would have gone a long way towards showing Anakin's overconfidence, especially with Obi-wan constantly refusing to become the aggressor, even for a moment and trying to convince Anakin to abandon Palpatine and come back to the good side.
    "Come with me."
    "Obi-wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the dark side; I MUST obey my master."

16. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    All of that lightsaber form stuff isn;t canon anymore so doesn't really apply. But it doesn't take that to notice that OV was on the defensive the entire fight just wearing Anakin down waiting for him to slip up.

17. friedbantha

Dec 26, 2015
    I thought the light saber forms were developed by the film makers and fight coordinators during filming of the PT? That would make them canon right?

18. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Vader, is a killing machine. He does not jump into lightsabers. Kenobi, was wise to hide.

19. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Yes Vader (I won't call him Anakin because he already turned at this point) should have defeated Obi-Wan. According to Lucas himself Vader/Anakin was a "9" as a duelist in ROTS putting him on par with Yoda, Sidious, and Mace and above Obi-Wan who was an "8". However Obi-Wan has a more defensive strategy, more patience, more maturity, and most off all more emotional stability which is what ultimately gave him the victory. That said 9 times out of 10 Vader wins this duel. Obi-Wan was very lucky to survive as long as he did until Vader screwed up.

If you're old enough to remember think of it this way:

Vader = Mike Tyson
    Obi-Wan = Buster Douglas

All that said I think Obi-Wan is not a mediocre jedi (as some have said on here). He was a master on the council who was a top 5 jedi IMO. Besides Yoda and Mace, look at how the other members of the council died. 3 went down to Sidious in seconds while the others got shot down like chumps in order 66. Note that Obi-Wan survived Order 66 as did Yoda. I think prior to Anakin turning the top jedi (skill wise) were Yoda, Mace, Anakin, and Obi-Wan. The rest went out like chumps.

20. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    I guess I can live with that.
    Fuking Obi-Wan, luck was always on his side the whole franchise.
    Funny how he says in EP4 he thinks there is no luck what a troll.