main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin should not have been in RotJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Zoo, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    After seeing RotS, and Darth Vader's evil it is hard to believe that Anakin's soul could ever be redeemed. I do think that he helped right a wrong by destryoing Sidiousm, but Vader helped enable Sidious to get to that position. Throughout the OT Vader was ruthless and evil and I'm sure off screen he didn't change much.

I find it disturbing that Anakin can just appear in RotJ as if all the crimes and injustice he spread over the galaxy were forgotten. The ending should have just been Obi-won and Yoda. It's nice to see "pops" up there but Anakin/Vader lead to decades of terror.

What do you all think about Anakin having the audacity to materialize near Obi-won and Yoda.

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    To a Jedi, one is truely never too engulfed in evil for there to be no hope of redemption. Even in Revenge, Anakin wasn't completely evil. Not even close. He had intentions to save Padmé, which is truely a good thing. He made a mistake to fall in love and marry her. It was against the code, but he wasn't doing a bad thing. Because of this, it made him question the things that are the exact reasons behind why posession is forbidded. It was too much stress for him, and he forsaw things a normal individual who didn't use the force would never have seen. Anakin went to great lengths to save Padmé, and all because he broke the Jedi Code by having posession in the first place. This is simply semantics to discuss this. Was Anakin evil for wanting to save Padmé? No. Was it evil of Anakin to want power? No. Was it evil of Anakin to side with Palpatine? Regardless of how evil Palpatine was and his intentions, following him in itself wasn't evil. Was it evil for Anakin to kill Jedi and become a personal hitman for Palpatine? Yes. For reasoning, Anakin wasn't evil at all. I mean, he broke the Jedi Code, but until he became a murderer of Jedi, he wasn't evil for it. When he made the action of becoming a murderer, then and only then he became evil.

By the time Anakin made it to Mustafar in Revenge, he was truely evil. He was on a power trip, and he forgot who his real friends were. He was so blinded that he forgot how much he loved the Jedi Order, Padmé, and Obi-Wan. His love for everything was still there, he just couldn't see it. Now, getting back on subject, in Jedi Anakin was redeemed when he was seen as a force ghost. He was never so evil for there be no redemption, the only thing was that he was the only one that could make that happen. Obi-Wan tried and failed in Revenge, and it never happened.

3. revan796

revan796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    i personally do believe that anakin had redeemed himself and that it is right that anakin should apear there, although it sould be the old anakin. it used to be, but they changed to to haden. even though he turned to the dark side as haden, he turned to the light as an old man. thus, he should be old in that shot.

ps:anakin does not fully kill emperor palpatine. He left his body before it died, so he lived on in spirit to be heard of again. Palpatine actually dies many times.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    His crimes aren't forgotten, but he is forgiven by his friends, not because of who he is, but because he redeems himself as the Chosen One. He doesn't get redeemed by someone else, he redeems himself. Only then are they able to embrace him as their friend again. But his crimes aren't forgotten.

Anakin Skywalker is free
    /LM

5. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    As ObiWan told to Luke about Anakin being slain by Vader in ANH, it would be too fit here for the metaphore that Vader the murderer was slain and Anakin returned

6. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    revan796 posted on 7/19/05 12:37am
    i personally do believe that anakin had redeemed himself and that it is right that anakin should apear there, although it sould be the old anakin. it used to be, but they changed to to haden. even though he turned to the dark side as haden, he turned to the light as an old man. thus, he should be old in that shot.

ps:anakin does not fully kill emperor palpatine. He left his body before it died, so he lived on in spirit to be heard of again. Palpatine actually dies many times.[hr][/blockquote]

I agree about the part about Anakin.

According to the movies, Palpatine dies then and there. That does it for me.

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Master_Mace_Windows][b]Master_Mace_Windows[/b][/link] [b]posted on 7/19/05 2:51am[/b][hr]As ObiWan told to Luke about Anakin being slain by Vader in ANH, it would be too fit here for the metaphore that Vader the murderer was slain and Anakin returned.[hr][/blockquote]

That's a good way to look at it.

7. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Star Wars is all about the metaphors. Anakin was there, and rightly so, because his soul was repentant his God, the Force. The Force forgave him so he gets to go to 'Heaven'. This is not to say that even though had his physicall self not perished he would have had to pay his debt back to society. Should/would he have gone to prison? Most likey yes he would and rightly so but he still was going to become one with the Force at the time of his death.

8. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    How does Anakin get to have communication past death? Wasn't it a new teaching that Qui-Gon had found out and gave to Yoda, who in turn gave it Obi-Wan? Just a quick question.

9. Tomtrek

Tomtrek Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    In the RotJ commentary GL says that Yoda and Obi-Wan help him become one with the force when he dies.

So they must think he's good enough to come back as a ghost - they made him the ghost.

10. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I like to believe that no matter what kind of person you are, self-sacrafice for a good cause is an automatic trip to Heaven and redemption.

11. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    Self-sacrifice can encompass a lot. Even a murderur could sacrifice himself so that his accomplice could get away. What sort of God would accept such one? No, I believe that it was Anakin's fully turning away from his dark path and redeeming himself by returning balance to the Force, removing the major force of tyranny forever, and in the end returning the Jedi to their proper place.

12. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I said for a "good cause", meaning to save the lives of good people.

13. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
  14. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    ROTJ would look so weird if at the end there was only Obi Wan and Yoda. We need to see Anakin because he proved he wasnt bad in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.