main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin Skywalker dominating the entire saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Chaotic_Serenity, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I was thinking about this earlier, about the affect the new movies will have on the original trilogy, how people will view it years from now who didn't have the experience of seeing the "later" half of the story initially before the first. When I think about how I used to view the movies, I saw the OT as the story of Luke Skywalker while the PT was the story of Anakin Skywalker, but now...

Now that we have an emotional connection to the Anakin who existed before Vader did, is it possible, with the strong focus on his character that the PT has and his dominating performances in the OT, that Anakin's character may very well swallow up the storyline? That people will see it less as two separate parts with one about Luke and the other about Anakin, and instead see it as a six part saga of the introduction, rise, fall, and subsequent redemption and loss of Anakin Skywalker? This isn't to say Luke will lose his own position as a powerful protagonist, but the stories will now be intrinsically connect in ways they weren't before when ROTS comes out. Add to that the fact that Anakin/Vader has a way of dominating (or at least becoming an outspoken presence) in any scene he's in. Simply that Anakin's complexity and power as an individual character may become even more compelling in the OT films because of the PT and the early emotional establishment of Anakin's character with the audience.

...What do ya'll think?

2. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Well i think there's always another side to Anakins story.

In the PT it's Obi-Wan, in the ANH he literally hands over the torch to Luke.

I Definitely think AnaVader will be the main focus of Star Wars in the future - technically speaking he already is, i mean as you said he owns/dominates all of the movies.

Whereas Luke and Obi-Wan both share their respective halfs, Obi-Wan as the one who makes us love and then hate Anakin - Luke as the one who makes us hate and then love Anakin.

Once everybody has "let go" of their personal experiences (seeing the OT first) or once we're all dead (very blunt i'm sorry) Anakin WILL be the main character - unarguably.

The beauty of it all is that it works everyway you look at it, the story of Luke - Anakin - a Republic - the Jedi - the Sith etc etc.

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree. The focus of the PT is on the friendship of Anakin and Obi-Wan, how it turns into enmity. In the OT, it's the opposite, but between Luke and Vader.

So, I would say that those three are the main characters of the saga, with Anakin having the biggest part.

4. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    I agree mostly ,but not completely, with the previous posts. If you've read Frank Herbert's Dune you'll know that Paul was nor the messiah nor the most important protagonist in the storyline. His son was,almost. So I feel that there are many things that will shape our opinions about the Anakin-Luke duality in epIII.

It is very possible that Lucas will tell us a story that in its final form will show both Luke and Anakin being the messiah of the prophesy. That is why I called them duality earlier. Anakin's downward voyage in PT is coupled with Luke's upward voyage in OT. I stronly feel that they form a dual mythical entity that is brought together by Ben. If you study the important characters in several mythologies you will always find this ''duality'' in the form of either father and son (Zeus-Hercules) or two powerfull enemies like Thor and Loki. So Luke's future comming is as much important in PT as much Vader's redemtion is in OT.It's not really evident but it's there.

''What would Luke do where he in his father's position'' etc. That is not just speculations of some crazed fan, it is actually the subcontious recognition of that duality.

Anakin will seem the most important to the people who will not accept the mythological value of SW and will treat it as a series of movies. That's what I think anyway.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'd always understood Star Wars to be Anakin's story. While the OT did focus on Luke, I saw it more as concerning Luke's attempt to resolve his relationship with his father: who was he, what does his legacy mean, family allegiance versus principles, and Vader's possibility of redemption. Thus, even though we were seeing the story through Luke's eyes, it still was very much about Vader.

The prequels confirmed this focus, as does the fact that there will be no more SW movies. That is, if they were really about Luke, one would expect his further adventures to be filmed, not his father's.

So since this is a pretty old conception, I don't think the PT will change things radically. It'll just give this old interpretation more prominence.

6. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Essentially I feel the entire Saga is, "Anakin's Story", future generations will watch the Saga in order. Anakin will be a major character in each and every Episode. People may think the PT is Anakin's Story and the OT is Lukes. This would be true if Anakin didnt play such a pivotal role in all the films.

7. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    The story for all six movies is about Anakin, but the central characters (heroes) of the PT and OT are Obi-Wan and Luke, respectively, and it is about their quests to save Anakin and the Galaxy.

I don't think we will be watching the OT and see Darth Vader as the main character for those movies. Mainly, the Big Three of the PT (Obi-Wan, Padme, and Anakin) are replaced by the Big Three of the OT (Luke, Leia, and Han) and those characters are in the driver's seat.

Now, Darth Vader doesn't take the OT lying down, of course. He is still a major character and is key to the plot as any good villain would be, but I think the perspective the audience will take is to see the ghost of Anakin Skywalker, the phantom of what that man could have been, standing there on that Star Destroyer. By the OT, he seems as if he's a lost cause. The OT is about how Luke sees that he isn't one yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.