main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin Skywalker: EU & Film, Hero to Brat? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In both TPM and AOTC I cared little for Anakin Skywalker, in both he came across as arrogant. As a kid that is allowable, how many of us have been a bit cocky as kids after all? Yet most of us alter, we change, come AOTC there is little change in Anakin, he remains the same cocky character. We see a less than great love story, beginning with a line that makes Anakin sound more like stalker than lover and we go downhill from there. Although Anakin's rush to find ObiWan demonstrates his ability to be good as well as evil, the movie seems to focus more on the latter.

This to me seems a great mistake, come ep 3 we know Anakin will go postal, we know he will fall but for that fall to matter we have to care about him, he has to win our support by being a heroic character. On their own, the films fail at this, but with the EU?

In the EU I have read Anakin Skywalker comes across much better. As he is forced by the fire of the Clone Wars to become the hero he can be, so I come to like him more. Yes his potential for ill is there, his secret massacre distturbs him as seen at the Battle of Kamino, he force choked people on Jabiim, attempted to kill Master Hett. Yet at the same time, he aids ObiWan at Kamino, fights on the moon of Naboo, deals with Lorian Nod and seeks a rematch with Dooku, manages to lead the Republic on Jabiim whilst dealing with ObiWan apparent death and overcomes his contempt for Hett's Tusken roots. In this EU Anakin's potential for good or evil is more balanced, I get a sense that this really is a character on the edge whose turning will be decisive. This I do not get from Christiansen's portrayal at all.

So what of it? Well is it not a pity that all this may be lost or ignored as the Prequels continue by bashing us over the head with the fact Anakin will go dark? If so then perhaps it would be better as Greek tragedy with fixed predestination and Anakin attempting to escape his decreed fate. But the PT does not do this, we are supposed to be able to believe Anakin can choose his fate freely. Without reading the EU I'm not sure this really is present in the Prequel era.

So does it matter? Does anyone else see differences between the film Anakin and that of the one in the EU? Is the one better than the other and what of it? Does the portrait differ in the various parts of the EU? After all, this is not a complete list of Anakin's EU appearances, I'm not able to see the Clone Wars cartoon, how does that impact on these questions?

JB

2. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    In both TPM and AOTC I cared little for Anakin Skywalker, in both he came across as arrogant.

You're a bit harsh there. In TPM Anakin is anything but arrogant. Do you have any evidence to back this up? I'd like to hear it.
    I wish some people would stop trying to trash Anakin's character just so he can fit the vision they wanted of him.

I'd agree Anakin was arrogant in AOTC, but thats the product of his upbringing amongst the Jedi.

As a kid that is allowable, how many of us have been a bit cocky as kids after all?

But he is NOT cocky. He's a very good kid, who doesn't make himself out to be more than he is. Besides he knows he's a good pilot of a podracer, its hardly arrogance on his part.

Yet most of us alter, we change, come AOTC there is little change in Anakin, he remains the same cocky character.

Is that his fault or the fault of the upbringing he's been given by the Jedi Order though? And I disagree anyway he has changed, his arrogance is very clear (its hardly visible in TPM), and most of his bad traits are clear to see in AOTC whereas in TPM he was just this good kid.

We see a less than great love story, beginning with a line that makes Anakin sound more like stalker than lover and we go downhill from there.

Erm watch AOTC again he is NOT acting like a stalker....maybe you should find out what one of those is like before type casting him so.
    Plus most of his lines are brought because of inability to understand how he is feeling or how to express himself to Padme, typical uncomfortable young love.
    That doesn't make him a stalker, just showing that he is new to this kind of thing. Remember the Jedi forbid love.

Although Anakin's rush to find ObiWan demonstrates his ability to be good as well as evil, the movie seems to focus more on the latter.

Is that any surprise though? We are supposed to see how he becomes evil....thats why we are seeing this trilogy, he is NOT going to end up like Luke in EP3 you realise.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You realise we are talking of perception and opinion, two highly subjective areas yes? I realise you disagree but cool off and take another look at the post, you've missed the point.

TPM: He may be a good kid but he's also cocky, as kids can be, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Nor is it necessarily a bad thing, a kid who wasn't a bit cocky probably wouldn't have done so well on Tattooine.

AOTC: The line goes something like: "I've been thinking of you every day for the last ten years." Know how creepy that can sound? He hasn't called, he hasn't talked and then bang! Nor did I say he carried on like a stalker throughout, his opening line simply gives the impression of obsession.

Neither of these points invalidates your points, they're simply different interpretations. In regard to AOTC it's an interesting take, but not one I pick up from the film, perhaps with a better director I would get the sense you describe.

"We are supposed to see how he becomes evil....thats why we are seeing this trilogy, he is NOT going to end up like Luke in EP3 you realise."

And that's all you're interested in, right? Explains your entire post really.

Intersting you too you talk about my trashing Anakin to fit my vision of him, I'm someone who has loathed the character but due to the recent EU product has had to re-evaluate that opinion! I'm looking at the OT again and recalling ObiWan's description of Anakin to Luke and like it or not, that description is of a heroic man that the PT films have made no effort to show, therefore the only guy who has screwed Anakin is Lucas, who cannot even stay consistent to his own work! Lucas has ObiWan depict a hero and then gives us a brat, yeah, showing the 'real' version is so cutting edge. (About a decade ago it might have been, but even then it was a hackneyed device.)

If the Prequels simply exist to ONLY show how A, B, C got to point X in advance of the OT story and nothing else, then what interest are they? We already know the destination, the journey has to be spiced up a bit and the EU has done that. I don't expect much to change for ep 3, Anakin will go bad and no one will be surprised or even sorry, after all we know how the story ends.

JB

4. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I can't really adress how the EU portrays Anakin, because the only Anakin I've read was Rogue Planet. Which bothered me a little for the attempt to show Anakin already using the darkside as a child, which I felt was a mistake. I felt Anakin was fairly innocent in TPM. Not seeing the same arrogance you have. He was just a child with special skills he didn't understand but knew he could count on to win races. Pretty typical kid reaction to feel pretty super that he could do something others couldn't. No, AOTC, was the big surprise for me. There was a big disconnect that wasn't explained how this young innocent boy could grow up to be so full of himself and be so annoyed with Obi-Wan. There was no trasistion from innocence to "I'm hot stuff". Some of this can be explained by typical teenage selfcenteredness but not all.

Just what did the Jedi do or not do to mold his personality this way? They took on the responsibility of him, so surely there must be some Jedi influence in there. Yoda says that the Jedi themselves are becoming more arrogant. Could perhaps Anakin have picked up on this as the years went by? We know he's going to choose the darkness over the light so I do agree that we needed to care more for him to fully appreciate his turning more.

Were these EU comics you are referring to?

The Anakin question is really one of control in my opinion. Anakin never had control of his own life so thus seeks it out in other ways. He tries to control events and make things happen. This is what he knows. He'll end up paying for that in the end.

5. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    And that's all you're interested in, right?

No I'm just stating the basic premise of the trilogy, that we are seeing Anakin go from a good person to a bad person. Thats as simple as it gets. And yes that fascinates me.

But its more than that. Besides I'm an Anakin Skywalker fan, and I see this heroic person, who wants to do good and wants to be a hero, yet fails miserably because of his flaws.

And thats what I'm interested in, how Anakin can't overcome his flaws and instead looks for an easier route to become the person he wants to be (and ends up becoming the antithesis of that).

AOTC: The line goes something like: "I've been thinking of you every day for the last ten years." Know how creepy that can sound? He hasn't called, he hasn't talked and then bang! Nor did I say he carried on like a stalker throughout, his opening line simply gives the impression of obsession.

Well think about it, he hasn't been able to contact her because the Jedi do not allow attachments or love. All he has been able to do is think about her, its not creepy, its perfectly normal.
    Plus as I said before Anakin doesn't know how to woo a woman or express himself in front of one, so he tries the only thing which we all try, which is honesty.
    And you could see after Anakin said it, as he bites his lip, he realised it came out the wrong way he intended. He tried to tell her that he has never forgotten her (after all he fell for her in TPM, love at first sight and all), and I'm sure most girls would of found that sweet, not creepy...despite the way Anakin said it.

I'm looking at the OT again and recalling ObiWan's description of Anakin to Luke and like it or not, that description is of a heroic man that the PT films have made no effort to show, therefore the only guy who has screwed Anakin is Lucas, who cannot even stay consistent to his own work!

You're relying on Obi-Wan for Anakin's characterisation? Oh boy! Remember Obi-Wan is seeing Anakin from his own point of view. Besides we havent seen EP3 yet, Anakin's heroics are as yet not fully seen.

Anakin is heroic in the other films, if TPM didnt show his heroics as a young child, to risk his life to help strangers and even to go into a dangerous battle to help a planet he doesn't even know, well I guess that doesn't make him a hero.
    But you do have to remember Anakin is also a flawed character, his heroics are constantly shot down by his mistakes and wrong actions.
    Attempting to save his mother is heroic, but his reaction to her death and (what he sees as) his own failure to stop her dying was wrong.
    Going to save Obi-Wan was heroic, but foolish, in the end, he had to fight to save his own life let alone Obi-Wan's.
    He did however show his warrior talent in surviving the arena, firstly overpowering the Reek and submitting it to his control, then being able to fight the battle droids and stay alive.
    Even in the Clone War battle, he showed his skill and expertise by directing where the Gunship should fire on a Techno Union ship.
    He failed in the duel against Dooku because of his own hotheadedness and the need for revenge, yet he did manage to protect his mentor from being killed by Dooku, though he arrogantly got himself hurt anyway.

Ah I give up frankly, Anakin is a hero whether you like it or not, he's just not the kind of hero you want to understand or root for.

6. one-jedi

one-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2003
    Jedi Ben, I agree with a lot of what you said. I too personally would like to have seen him to be more of a hero.
    One of my main problems with the PT is what we see of him, IMO they left some of the most important parts out. We never really get to see him be a hero. Where as Obi-Wan in the Phantom Menace is shown to be noble and heroic, even tho he is not an obidient and boring. We never get to see that with Anakin. Plus that fact that althougth he was a 'slave' it seemed he had an ok life with a job with a nice boss (ok, under the surface he was nice) a nice big home with his own room and he was able to find parts to make a droid and a pod racer, plus he was able to enter the pod races that he loved. Plus the fact his clothes were nice and he was always clean I didn't particuly feel for him when he was younger, he then get's his dream come true to become a Jedi but the next time we see him he is already a bit whiny and arrogant. I would have like them to shown him to be more heroic and the maybe start to introduce him in the way they did in AOTC, IMO we needed to see it. More like a fall from grace than never getting anywhere near it.

The above is a bit harsh but i'm in a harsh mood!

7. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Plus that fact that althougth he was a 'slave' it seemed he had an ok life with a job with a nice boss

Yeah I'm sure being own by someone is a nice life [/sarcasm]

plus he was able to enter the pod races that he loved.

Yes and the Podraces hold no danger do they especially to a 9 year old child.... [/sarcasm]

Hmmm my sarcasm mode is being well used :p

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yoda's line about even the older more experienced Jedi being arrogant was about himself (Yoda) too. The whole Jedi Order was very arrogant. They thought they were invincible for a long time, and were so set in their ways thinking they were fine that they missed the Sith returning.

Add this to the fact that Anakin is 20 (come on, he's 20...he's young...a lot of people are arrogant around that age), give him a break. He's not some aged Jedi Master, he's a young apprentice, five years younger than Obi-Wan in TPM. Also add the fact that he was only trained because he might have been the "Chosen One" and he's going to be arrogant. He's going to think he's better than he is.

Overconfidence is his weakness. Just as it was his second master's. And this overconfidence leads to his turn to the dark side.

9. one-jedi

one-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2003
    Hey i'm not saying he had a great life or a perfect life or even a good life but I wouldn't have described it as bad, no where near as bad as it could have been. There were some bad things but if he hadn't said he was a slave or anything about being a slave mentioned would you have thought he was a slave. Was he ever shown to be suffereing because of being a slave. All i'm pointing out is his life could have been much much worse. He had many very good things in his life, which is more can be said for many.

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I think the EU is supposed to provide some of the backup on Anakin's character as its hard for the films to do it unless we end up with 3+ hrs. each time, and we know that won't happen. I loved Hayden's performance, but it was abbrivated (Rick's "let's wrap this up in sixty days" - anyone???). He did what he could with a VERY complex character in the time he was alotted. George has said he's leaving the scar Anakin's sporting "up to the EU" to explain. That was verbatim. For a glimpse of how Obi-Wan and Anakin came to be the pair they are in AOTC, the Jedi Quest books have been assigned that task, and are doing a pretty good job. The last book has Anakin saving Obi_Wan from the Gundarks and coming to terms (or not coming to terms as they case may be) with being the Chosen One. In Anakin's words to Obi in the last chapter..."Why am I chosen? Why is it me? Can't I refuse it? Can't you let me refuse it? Can't you take it away?...Take it from me please, Master.' Anakin wanted to fall to his knees. A deep tide of feeling, of dread, had risen up within him and choked him. What do they see that I cannot? The sudden panic shocked him. He hadn't meant to say what he'd said. He hadn't even known he was feeling it. Now it felt like the truest thing he'd ever said. The dread was always there. He lived with it, but he didn't understand it. He just wanted it to go away..."

Sorry that was so long, but its a good passage and helps one to understand kind of where Anakin is coming from with the Prophecy. That's another thing that the prequels haven't shown, probably for lack of time and want of fanboy effects (Vader's kewl, duuuude), but heh, I guess that's what sells movies...

I love the character of Anakin, but that started in ESB, yes, ESB, because when he walked away without strangling Piett, Anakin had a toe in the door... :)

I read the comic and they cast Anakin in a much more positive light as the confused, but heroic young jedi. That and Jedi Quest have increase his depth tenfold.

11. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    I thought Anakin was 19 in AOTC?

12. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    I thought Anakin was 19 in AOTC?

Apparently he turned 20 just before the events of AOTC.

13. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    In the prologue of the AOTC novel it says how he had just turned twenty. AOTC was 10 years and a few months after TPM.

14. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Wasn't he supposed to be 9 in TPM?

15. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Yes. It wasn't 10 years to the day. It was 10 years and a couple months. He had a birthday in those couple months.

16. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    It's all a matter of perspective. Anakin's a fricking Don Juan compared to Torgo from Manos: The Hands of Fate. ;)

Anakin has flaws, that's the whole point of a tragic hero. If he didn't have any flaws, that would actually weaken his character in my eyes. Yoda, for example, is not one of my favorite characters (although he does have his moments :p ) because he is completely and utterly STATIC. Yoda from TPM is NO DIFFERENT from Yoda in ROTJ or in ANY other EU source. In a word, he becomes BORING after a while. By contrast, Anakin goes from being a sweet kid, to being an arrogant youth, to being a powerful, but "disturbed" Jedi Knight, and continues to fall and become the Knight of Darkness himself. There he stays, but always there are cracks in his armor, things that hint at what he once was, then through the love of his son, he redeems himself and kills the Emperor thus rebalancing the force.

You can't really critizes his flaws then because without them, he wouldn't be as interesting a character.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps I haven't been as clear as I thought.

It's like this:

I have found Anakin Skywalker to be a better, more interesting character in the EU than the films, but I see little chance of this more interesting, more heroic yet as flawed character turning up in ep 3.

Now does this difference really exist or it just my perception? If so, what of it? Can we simply rely on the EU to pick up Anakin's tale post ep 3? Possibly improving on it if ep 3 delivers an Anakin that matches the other films.

DT,

I believe I actually recognised your interpretation of the love scene and even liked it! What's the problem?

As for your ObiWan comment, quite ironic you first complaining about trashing Anakin then when I cite a positive description of him, you whack it! ;)

As to the trilogy's premise, there is nothing that says it has to be singular. Yes there is the how Anakin came to be Vader but I want there to be more to it than just that. Let's face it, no matter how you may like it or not, the debate on whether SW is 1 6-film story or 2 trilogies, or what the story is, is never going to go away, all we can say is I see it this way and you see it that way.

rhonderoo,

Interesting. I have wondered if Anakin's awareness of his status would play any role in his fall, thus far I thought it hadn't been picked up on. Which book is it you are talking of as I'd be interested in looking for it.

MS,

One of the points I'm making here is that the EU has shown Anakin to be a far more even mix of good and bad than the films. The films I just find seem to hit us over the head with 'Anakin's going to go dark' message. The EU seems to be fairer to him.

JB

p.s. EU sources read:

DHC: Republic 49-59
    DHC: Jedi
    Legacy Of The Jedi

This is not intended as an exhaustive list though!

18. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Well, to be fair, most EU sources give us more in-depth studies of ALL characters personalities.

Think about how much of Darth Maul you know due to movies, then think of how much you know if you add on Shadow Hunter, the comic, etc...

Anakin doesn't have anywhere near the central screen time in the first two movies that Luke had in ANH and ESB.

Its just the nature of the beast, you can't show everything in a two hour movie.

Additionally poor Obi-Wan is remembering someones whose dead. Sure, you have a friend who may be annoying or immature, but when they're dead, you're going to try and paint them in the most positive light possible.

History shows us that heroes are very rarely as great to the people who know them personally, as they are to the public at large.

I suspect Anakin is like this. To the public who only view his heroics, he is idolised.

But I think one reason he is portrayed as he is, is for the viewer to compare him to Obi-Wan in Ep I, and Luke in the later episodes, and say, "Ah yes, he had potential, did a lot of great things, but I see where he sowed the sees for his own downfall..."

19. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    He is more evenly portrayed in the EU.

He has a huge amount of conflict in his soul. The sad thing is he really doesn't want to be a Jedi. He wants to be normal, but he is also afraid to let everyone down, esp Obi-wan, and his mother. He feels driven to succeed and prove Qui gon'd faith in him. Even though his heart doesn't seem tobe in it.
    He has a hard time controlling his rage which IMO stems from an ingrained habit of needing to survive. I suppose he overreacts to real threats, and doesn't think things through. He gets very caught up in the moment, yet he isn't truly malicious.
    As a slave these actions were neccessary. He was anonymous, a number, or a thing. As a Jedi, his actions have far reaching consequences, but he can't even concieve of that. He only lives in the moment in battle, he doesn't think about retreating to fight another day. It will be his downfall.

He's truly a tragic character. He does everything wrong, for basically the right reasons, and loves like it's never going to hurt. He's reckless, not evil.

20. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    I think Tiershon Fett hits the nail on the head. Anakin really doesn't want to be a jedi, but at the same time can't quit, because Qui-Gon was the first person to believe in Anakin, and so Amakin feels honour bound to carry it through.

Also, Anakin feels Obi-Wan stuck out his neck for him, feeling maybe if Obi-Wan had a "good" padawan, he would be a master by now.

The problem was Anakin's introduction to jedi was Qui-Gon, who was such an atypical example of the order, that it has coloured Anakin's perceptions of what the order should be like.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tiershon,

Don't know if you're able to but given what you wrote you ought to check out Republic 55-59, particularly issues 58-59.

Here Anakin demonstrates an ability to think through his actions and the consequences they might have, (58) yet also fails to do so. Thus he makes some progress but chooses not to go as far as he might despite being given the chance. (59)

QG,

Interesting pair of posts, unfortunately it's late hence the brief reply.

General point: If ep 3 does deliver an Anakin in the style of the 2 PT films, as opposed to the deeper EU character, then for many that will be their last sight of the character, which seems a shame. To anyone who has not come across the EU Anakin, he may seem a flat character. Of course, if you have nothing to compare with you're inclined to simply rate a so-so character as average, so it cuts both ways.

JB

22. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Yup, Anakin has been potrayed quite well in the EU. And I got what you were saying from the start Ben. ;)

The films don't really have time to dwell on a whole lot of "realistic" character development. Plus, realistic character development just doesn't happen much in Sci Fi serials (can't wait for Sky Captian and the World of Tommorow BTW). They're there in the film, but a lot of the little details that make a character well rounded come from the EU.

I await Episode III with great excitement, because every single source of Clone War Anakin reenforces stuff that happens to him/he does in Episode III. :D

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, well MS I'm sceptical of the chances of the EU Anakin making it into ep 3 but I'm not fool enough to say it won't happen.

Care to contribute your view of Clone War Anakin, perhaps mentioning that CW cartoon I can't see yet? (Not sure when I'll be able to either, not having cable or broadband.)

Jb

24. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    The films don't really have time to dwell on a whole lot of "realistic" character development. Plus, realistic character development just doesn't happen much in Sci Fi serials (can't wait for Sky Captian and the World of Tommorow BTW). They're there in the film, but a lot of the little details that make a character well rounded come from the EU.

As I said, going into depth with a character over the space of a 10+ comics, novels, computer games etc, with many different authors, is different from two movies from the same author.

Still, I understand your point, Jedi Ben. And its nice to know there is still some intelligent, rational, discussion of Ep I & II in fandom rather than juvenile "George Lucas is senile and he raped my childhood" posts...

;)

I await Episode III with great excitement, because every single source of Clone War Anakin reenforces stuff that happens to him/he does in Episode III.

I'm spoiler free for Ep3, but... hell yeah.
    :D

Its great to see the EU is co-ordinating itself a lot better with other mediums and the films with the Clone Wars than it has previously..

25. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    "Hmm, well MS I'm sceptical of the chances of the EU Anakin making it into ep 3 but I'm not fool enough to say it won't happen."

I didn't say the EU appears in the film. But when you look at certain things he does, you can easily look at the EU and see how it just reenforces stuff he does in the film. One thing immediately comes to mind in regaurds to what Anakin does to some bad guys. :D

"Care to contribute your view of Clone War Anakin, perhaps mentioning that CW cartoon I can't see yet? (Not sure when I'll be able to either, not having cable or broadband.)"

CW does a great job at showing Anakin's intensity, cleverness and ferocity in battle. He turns the tide of battle above Munnilist single handedly, destroying literatlly hundreds of fighters through his tactics and flying. There's also some very obvious hints that Anakin really appretiates the praise that Palpatine gives him. His mind set is shown as, "Finally! Someone who doesn't critisize me at every turn and really appretiates what I'm doing!"
    At the same time, he again bristles at Obi Wan putting him down and not trusting him.

The saddest moment is in a fighter bay. Anakin says he's doesn't know why Obi Wan isn't proud that he's been promoted to commander. Obi Wan sharply and harshly responds that his skills were never in question, only his maturity. He then says rather sarcastically, "May the force be with you, *commander*." Then Anakin gives a crestfallen look to the camera. here's a snippet from the CW thread on the subject between me and a few other CW fans.

DarthTerrious:

"As for Anakin, I like the somber look he gave. It's saying, "I wish I knew how to earn your trust and approval."

Sith Man:

"Dude, I totally got the same feeling. That is, if you're talking about the look he gave Obi-Wan after his (I think) sarcastic, "May the Force be with you, Commander." It wasn't the usual, annoyed squint that Anakin gave Obi-Wan several times in AOTC when he was peeved at Obi-Wan. It was much more a hopeless sigh... Anakin just doesn't know how to earn Obi-Wan respect.

I kinda feel bad for Anakin.

Man, isn't it amazing, though, how a 3 minute show like this has been able to fit such great "moving" moments like this Obi-Wan/Anakin one, and the Anakin/Padme one in the first episode?"

Me:

"Anakin says he doesn't understand why Obi isn't pleased he was placed in command of the space force. Obi Wan says he trusts his skills, just not his maturity (cripes, no wonder he goes dark with this kind of piss poor Jedi teaching). Cue the sad Anakin look."

There's another great moment with Padme, showing his sadness at having to leave her to fight in the war.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.