main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin Skywalker: Failure of the Jedi or Product of Self?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darth_jess, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_jess

darth_jess Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    Because my Sith question didn't go over real well (sorry everyone) I've got a new one: Do you think Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader because of the Jedi not dealing with him/using him properly, or was it his own fault he became Darth Vader?

2. Darthgenius77

Darthgenius77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    Many things aided in Anakins turn. Palpatine, for doing such a great job in making Anakin believe that Jedi order was against him. The Jedi Order, for treating Anakin the way they did, without trust, and using him as a spy, against someone Anakin thought of as a friend. But it was still Anakins choice to turn. He didn't have to side with Palpatine, but he does. In the end, everything must be laid at his feet, he is the one that choose his path.

3. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    See I disagree a bit there. Anakin had no idea that Palpatine was a Sith Lord and using him. Sure Anakin made the choice, but he had two sides using him, the Jedi and Palpatine. So in turn, if both these sides did not play him, I doubt Anakin would have turned to the Dark Side.

4. VEJJITA

VEJJITA Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2004
    I was under the impression anakin does at one point know palpatine is a sith master, but can't turn away from the hope he can teach him to keep padme alive... thus being his own choice.

5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    yeah, eventually, before anakin turns- Palpatine is going to have to reveal himself as a sith and say join me, dude.

But, its more than that too- Padme has a lot to do with it.

CLone

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Do you think Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader because of the Jedi not dealing with him/using him properly, or was it his own fault he became Darth Vader?

Anakin made his own choice to become evil, which is clear in the ROTS trailer. That's all I'm going to say right now until the release of ROTS.

7. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I think hes a falied Jedi.He didnt have to turn in order to save padme.

8. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Like many tragic figures, Anakin is solely to blame for his own downfall; while others may have (inadvertantly) planted the seeds which would ultimately point him in the direction of his unravelling, the focus is always on his personal dilemma. Lucas has, thus far at least, directly implicated the character without obvious recourse to any sort of artificial dramatic apparatus which might otherwise be employed, creating a more passive state or remove through which Anakin is separated from the consequences of his actions. He is responsible, a matter which Lucas has communicated sufficiently throughout the first two pictures (although "The Phantom Menace" was primarily an expository framework in which the character's burgeoning conflict was marginally addressed), and so therefore I would have little doubt that the upcoming film would appear to be much different. Without engaging in any sort of spoiler detail, it would be difficult for me to articulate, but ultimately, Anakin's fall is a matter sheathed in a modicum of irony, something which would consequently make his fate seem more melancholy and pathetic.

9. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I think it was both. They failed to protect him from the darkside. He chose to go of his own free will....maybe.

10. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    yeah IF Palpatine hadnt worked Anakin he wouldnt have turned I guess.....

-Mel

11. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It was purely Anakin's choice.

12. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    he was gently nudged in teh right direction. but you're right ultimately it was anakins choice but without what palps did he would have been different when making that choice

-Mel

13. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    True, without the manipulation of Sidious Anakin may have not made the same choice but, he also had the influence of Obi-Wan and Yoda. He just chose to listen to the wrong one.

14. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    true.
    without palps he wouldnt even know this choice existed....

-Mel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.