main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anakin Skywalker in the New Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Jul 13, 2014.

1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    It's a real possibility. Anakin's ghost was a big part of the final scene leading up to Episode VII. When I was a kid I assumed Anakin took over Obi Wan's duties guiding Luke. Since then George Lucas retconned Hayden Christensen to replace the redeemed and older Sabastian Shaw. Logically if Anakin has a presence in Episode VII (which would be unusual if he didn't) he will be played by Hayden Christensen.

Hayden has been in the states this whole time they have been filming in England. However I'm sure when they do pickup shots later on, it will be in LA. That opens the door for a cameo or some voice over work. Can he return??

whostheBossk, AVIEL1722 and Shamear like this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't see why not and I'm hoping so.

3. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    It would be cool. But I tend to wonder if they'd be willing to risk that. Unfortunately they may see that as a risk. It shouldn't be that way, but... I dunno.

Do you think people would flip out?

Darkslayer, VMeran and Luukeskywalker like this.
  4. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I made an uncalled for reply. I apologize.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    we have reached a new low when we feel the need to go from thread to thread dismissing other people for "speculating" and discussing not-all-that-unreasonable ideas.

6. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

That's fair.

7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I have been suggesting that the Anakin switch in ROTJ could well have been for future use for quite some time.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Quick, someone start stalking Hayden and see what he's been up to recently.

9. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    I'm sure people would. I might even become one of them..... but you know they can't do the whole trilogy without Anakin having at least one scene. Disney could revert to the original ROTJ ending and avoid that problem.... It really depends on what do's and dont's were in Lucas's contract.

Immortiss likes this.
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't know for certain if he'll show up at all. Some will dismiss it outright because of disdain for HC and the PT in general. I've discussed story potential in regard to the character, for instance, if it were revealed that Palpatine or Plagueis created Anakin or something to do with Padme's Jaipoor (sp?) amulet or reunification of the two of them. Not central plot scenarios, but more peripheral or binding/fulfilling story elements. I always imagined him showing up at the end of the ST and not VII necessarily, if at all. HC will be one to watch along with Ian McDiarmid.

11. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't hate Hayden. He matured awesomely for his Ep3 role. I just don't see the use of Anakin. I think if you bring back (Hayden) Anakin, even as a ghost, you have to bring back Obi Wan from the Clone Wars era too. It could work, I guess. It just seems a little too convoluted for my tastes. This saga needs to move on.

12. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Highly unlikely, but sorta/kinda(not really) possible... I guess...

Having said that, it wouldn't bother me if it happened. IMO, Hayden gets a bad rap for something that was more Lucas's fault than his. He is actually a fairly solid actor when he has the right material and director. As much as I didn't care too much for his performance in Episode II, I actually think he really redeemed himself in Episode III. Also, Episode III, at least for me, is tied with ANH for second best SW film(it would be almost impossible to dethrone ESB).

whostheBossk and S73 like this.
  13. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    While it would be completely reasonable, story wise, for them to do this, I don't think they will. I don't know, I just get the vibe from this production that they're trying to have SW "reclaim its roots" if you will, trying to recapture the feel of the OT. Introducing a predominant PT character might inhibit that a bit. I feel like they'll mostly stay away from stuff like that.

If they decide for him to appear at all in this new trilogy, I don't think it would happen until a later movie. Maybe as a way to physical tie all three trilogies together. But not right out of the gate.

VMeran and jaqen like this.
  14. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    It will be interesting to see how the ST deals with the Force Ghosts. It feels to me like you would almost have to have all 3 appear if you have one. (I'm of the mind that I would love seeing them talk to Luke and I am absolutely fine with Hayden coming back...) Maybe they will follow Timothy Zahn's idea that the force ghosts could only communicate with Luke for a limited time and they have disappeared by the time of VII.

Of course, if VII is sort of a "search for Luke" movie, the force ghosts could possibly be held for VIII (assuming we don't see Luke until near the end of the film). Unless they're also appearing/speaking to Leia or others...

A lot of variables. But yeah... I'm fine with Hayden.

15. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014
    I don't really want to see any of the Force ghosts.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    My personal prefernce for Hayden's appearance put aside, I'm not really sure that at this advance age and wisdom Luke would need guidance in such a direct form. In fact, I would count on it that he is the one who is providing the guidance to the new generation.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If there is a Force Ghost, and I think it's very likely there will be one, the only one I can see that should be used would be Christensen's Anakin Skywalker. If anything, it would continue the theme of Anakin's redemption, even after he's dead. I think it'd have more emotional impact than Luke chatting with Obi-Wan or Yoda because Anakin is his father. I wouldn't want too many Force ghosts, it starts to get a bit silly ("Geeze, can't ANY of you stay dead!!") but if they are going to use only one, I think Anakin is the best choice.

Echo7even, Cevan, VMeran and 4 others like this.
  18. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I think that if they want to get deep into the lore of the Force, not that there is indication that they might... But if they did, I think that Force Ghosts are almost essential. I would like to get more from the Sith end of things too. Unless the mystery of the Sith is something that they want to use to keep driving things.

19. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    I actually think if the force ghost Anakin was to appear, he's more likely to reach out to Leia. Luke has already made his peace. At this point, we have no idea where Leia stands. He tortured her for information on the Death Star, was held her back while her whole planet and entire adopted family was blown to bits, was there was Han was frozen in carbonate, almost killed Luke her only surviving relative...

I feel like they have some business to work out. Maybe if the Han dying rumour is true, he reaches out to her after, to ensure she won't act out in the name of revenge and retaliation.

20. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I prefer Shaw as Anakin's ghost, but I have a strange curiosity of seeing Hayden being directed by JJ and his lines written by Kasdan, I'm sure he could have pulled off the Anakin I didn't saw in the PT. It would be interesting to see, but I'm ok with him not showing up.

Dak Oolron and TX-20 like this.
  21. Porkinslovehandle

Porkinslovehandle Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2014
    I agree that Disney will try and distance the future episodes from the PT. That being said, it would be cool if Luke and/or Leia found an old hologram of their mother.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  22. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Natalie Portman in Episode VII?

I don't know if I'd call Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda appearing as Force ghosts silly, but I do wonder if it wouldn't make things too crowded. There's already seventeen people in the cast. Even if some of them are minor roles, that's a pretty crowded field. I don't think most people want to sit down for Episode VII with a score card to keep track of who everybody is. It worked for LOTR and the Hobbit but those movies had the luxury of being based on books that people had read before going into the cinema.

dyous87 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, crowded is a better term, as in I believe a trio of Force Ghosts would start to make the afterlife would seem to be rather crowded. We've seen the 3 at the end of ROTJ already, that's enough for that. I still go with Anakin being the one Force Ghost they use again if they need Force Ghost to impart plot information (which is really what they serve the purpose in the story for, the dead character has to deliver exposition so Force Ghost) because it keeps the whole Skywalker thang going.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd say go for it. Sure, Disney may be all about adhering to an OT style first and foremost, but the fact remains that this is Episode VII of a larger existing saga, and it's already been stated that the prequels still "fully count." Even with Abrams' preferences it is inevitable that some prequel-related elements will appear, and it's probably a good bet that the legacy of Anakin/Vader will figure into the narrative in some manner. Seems a very real possibility at some point in the ST.

25. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    if the prequels didn't didnt suck and hayden gave a great performance then i'd say absolutely yes. however the prequels and hayden both sucked so absolutely not. jj and kasdan both know deep down the prequels were bad and will avoid any references to them.