main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anakin Skywalker in the New Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Yeah very disappointing.... I would have loved to see Anakin and Obi wan communicate with Rey at least, maybe she is about to give up but they tell her to keep going and that she can help Luke return to the light. Anakin not even being mentioned once is a big slap in the face. The Chosen One prophecy has been pretty much completely ignored. Disney continues with its disrespect of the prequels.

Nanaki likes this.
  2. asdv

asdv Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    On the bright side, with Anakin not showing up, at least they couldn't mess up his character like they have everyone else's in the ST.

Mark Pierre, LadyZ, Knoah and 2 others like this.
  3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I really like the concept of Anakin returning in the ST as a spirit, even in a brief role. I found his concept ideas created for TFA really intriguing.

How neat a scene would it have been to have old crazy hermit Luke bickering/communing/learning from Force spirits Yoda, old Obi-Wan, Anakin, and heck, maybe even Qui-Gon, lol. I'll concede perhaps that's too much, but I think a scene with Luke and Anakin communing with each other could have been really powerful.

Rickleo123 likes this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya. As it stands now it's just a huge plot hole.

5. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

At it to the LONG list of plot holes created by this mess of a movie lol

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Rian was asked about Obi wan and he said that from a story telling point of view it wouldn't have worked very well to have Ewan as obi wan talking to luke because there was less of an emotional connection between the 2 actors you never seen interact before previously for the audience.
    I am gonna guess thats the same reason with Hayden, it was about giving back those old school feeling of seeing yoda and luke together.

yanote and Darth Nikean like this.
  7. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Anakin talking to Luke would honestly have made a lot more sense than Yoda.

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    It would have been powerful to see Anakin visiting Luke just before he died and passed into the force.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It ultimately doesn't make sense for either Hayden Christensen or Ewan McGregor to show up in this trilogy because none of the actors in this film had any relationship to them previously. And to be honest, while Obi-Wan might have been a paternal presence for Luke in ANH, Yoda was the one who taught Luke the most in the OT, and therefore his return in TLJ felt natural.

yanote, Vohnkar, 11-4D and 1 other person like this.
  10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Sorry Rian your talking completely ridiculous twaddle there... - It's called ACTING :rolleyes:

Knoah and Darth Raiden like this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Agreed. "Yoda will always be with you." They set up his appearance in ROTJ, and it makes total sense.

12. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015

Maybe. But I still think it would make sense to have Anakin/Ben because of their relationship. But that is over now. Anakin could still appear in IX, I mean that would totally make sense since Vader was mentioned more than once.

wobbits likes this.
  13. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Force Ghost Anakin needs to pay Kylo a visit and have some words with him. I don't know if it'll get thru, but he still needs to do it because Vader is part of Kylo's motivation.

yanote, Miles Lodson, Vohnkar and 4 others like this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I get what Rian was saying, he basically wanted that nostalgic connection to see yoda and luke talking like they did in the OT.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Makes sense, but in that case I still had trouble accepting Yoda acting more like his goofy ESB intro self back when he was testing Luke. Actually made me (half-jokingly) hypothesize that ghost Yoda wasn't really there, and Luke was just projecting that version of Yoda.

So, yeah, I have no problem with the idea of Yoda appearing, but given the execution I definitely would've preferred a Luke/Anakin moment instead.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't know that it would have made more sense as such but just as much certainly.

Depends how you do it.

Anakin failed as a Jedi but Luke brought him back so in the context of the movie it would be about Anakin talking to Luke would then bring Luke back the way Yoda did.

Certainly in terms of raw emotion it'd be far more powerful for a father and son scene with now the father helping the son after the son helped the father.

Also since Luke had cut himself off then that means that Luke hadn't seen Anakin for years and of course Ben Solo is following a path similar to Anakin as Vader and Rey is following a path also similar to Anakin.

It's not about HC or EM but Anakin and Obi-Wan and they both do have relationships with Luke (as does Yoda) but between the 3 of them a fully renewed in spirit Anakin is the only one who hasn't had a scene with Luke in Star Wars.

Yes Yoda and Obi-Wan were failures also but not to the degree that Anakin and now Luke were. Anakin and Luke both abandoned the Jedi. Anakin as a Sith and Luke by deciding it was time for the Jedi to end. Obi-Wan and Yoda never went there.

Anakin helping Luke would be a nice tie-off to their relationship in the movies.

Lulu Mars, MissJo and wobbits like this.
  17. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Goodbye.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No way. Yoda failed & exiled himself on Dagobah. He was also reluctant at first to train another Jedi. The similarities between Luke & Yoda's situation, & their place of isolation made Yoda the obvious choice.

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes but Yoda never stopped being a Jedi.

He had hope through Luke and Leia and Obi-Wan was still around as well.

Luke totally gave up. Completely and utterly gave up because he had no one.

Did Yoda do that? No.

Did Obi-Wan do that? No.

Did Anakin do that? Yes.

So in terms of parallels it's a no-contest. Anakin gave up and Luke brought him back so having Luke give up and Anakin bring him back (after his experience with Rey) makes complete plot, story and character sense.

Does Yoda work very well? Sure but Anakin just works far better.

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Luke is also directly responsible for Kylo's turn, in a way that Yoda and Obi-Wan simply weren't. Luke also lets a completely new Empire spring up around Snoke, while Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't know the Empire was coming until it was too late, and after that it had the full support of the population and control of the galaxy.

Subtext Mining and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  21. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    exactly

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly.

Luke's failure is monumental.

I mean the failure of Yoda, Obi-Wan and the Jedi was terrible but Luke's is 10x worse.

The other thing (and this is getting a bit off-topic but I'll tie it in) is that Luke was not angry at Yoda for his failure with Sidious or Anakin. So that tells me that Luke didn't really believe what he told Rey. He was projecting his failure on to them and was really talking about himself.

So again this ties to Anakin who was blaming the Jedi for his problems when it was really his fault. Anakin knew he wanted more and shouldn't have. In his case though he failed, turned to the Dark side and then rationalized that it was all the Jedi and Obi-Wan's fault.

So again the spirit of Anakin would realize this and be able to tell Luke.

Remember after the destruction of the temple Luke soon cut himself off from the Force so Anakin had never talked to him since before that incident.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  23. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Luke and Anakin should pay a visit to Kylo in EPISODE IX.

24. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I could see that happening. Maybe as a last chance to save him (though Luke doesn't seem to believe it possible for Ben).

25. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    In the discussion about Luke's failure with Ben, I sense a lot of you are removing any volition from Ben whatsoever. TFA and TLJ clearly present that Ben was going dark before the night that Luke confronted him. Luke may have failed at that confrontation, but that does not excuse Ben for the bad choices he had made up until that point, or that he would make in that moment, or the years that followed.