main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin Skywalker........*some Approaching Storm Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Doright, Feb 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999

The one thing that struck me in the Approaching Storm was the "hints" of Anakin's dark future. I just though they are becoming more of a slap in the face than a hint. I am not saying that is a bad thing. I just have a few thoughts on it.

As soon as he is introduced in the book the other Jedi are noticing unJedi like qualities about him. Later we see him itching for a fight and toying with a person in battle. In RP there where hints of recklessness and one time he did get very angry but it wasn't a constant thing. It is getting worse as he grows older. Why is the council still sending him out on missions? Do they really want someone who toys with someone during a battle, representing the Jedi in the field?

2. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    you have to be a very good author to strike the right balance of having readers notice hints of darkness in anakin but not consciously realise that he's getting worse...
    one of the problems with TPM was that we hardly saw any hints of darkness in anakin... and the authors are probably now trying to rectify that, but are maybe going a bit over the top...

3. RB-wan

RB-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2000
    No, bashers and critics lambasting Jake Lloyd and George Lucas for not trying to place adult-appropriate emotions in the role of a nine-year-old boy is over the top.

Anakin's hints of darkness are readily apparent in TPM, if you watch for them. Take a closer look at Anakin when the Council tells Qui-Gon that the boy will not be trained and that the Queen's safety and the mystery of the Sith take precedence over his dreams and hopes of becoming a Jedi. He is SERIOUSLY pissed off, enough that he looks like he'll walk over and knock Yoda off his chair.

Watch the behavior of nine-year-olds in real life ( TV and movies don't count ). A lot of them would complain and cry about it. Anakin has the "benefit" of having been raised in harsh conditions. Sure he can play and tinker like a kid, but his emotions are already in turmoil. To leave his mother behind to her life of slavery so he can be trained as a Jedi, and being told that he won't be trained...he's not going to cry for his mommy. His first reaction is to want to punch out a little green gnome, just like he punched out Greedo for calling him a cheat, for belittling his efforts, his dreams, his abilities....in other words, for trying to put Anakin the worthless slave boy in his place. And Anakin already knows he's better than that. HE KNOWS.

"Pride goeth before a fall..."

Bri

4. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Your right I did catch that. He did look really mad during that scene. I actually like seeing that the dark is starting to come out. I just think it shouldn't be so obvious to the other Jedi. It's ok if we as readers get a peek at his mind and see it. It just strikes me as odd when the other Jedi see it too and they continue to put him in Danger. Maybe the Jedi Quest book series will help put this in better perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.