main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin Solo Death Age Breakdown Poll

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Oct 10, 2002.

?

Anakin Solo Death Age Breakdown Poll

Poll closed Nov 9, 2002.
  1. Want Him Back; Ages 13 - 17

14 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Want Him Back; Ages 18 - 22

29 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. Want Him Back; Ages 23 - 27

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Want Him Back; Ages 28+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. Want Him Dead; Ages 13 - 17

23 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. Want Him Dead; Ages 18 - 22

42 vote(s)
    29.4%
  7. Want Him Dead; Ages 23 - 27

9 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Want Him Dead; Ages 28+

6 vote(s)
    4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    I'm 21, and I want him back.

Here's the deal--I cannot stand reading anymore NJO. This started after SbS, and believe me, I'm not happy about my lack of interest in the series, either. But, the atmosphere in the books has gotten far too depressing, and Anakin's death was the ultimate kick in the butt. Well, on the bright side, it's saved me over thirty dollars in book bills since then. :)

2. Jaina_Solo3263827

Jaina_Solo3263827 Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2002
    I'm almost 15 and I just finished reading SBS last week and I was really sad the whole day after I read it. I'm not a teenybopper or anything, and I had no real attatchment to the character, but I really don't think they did the right thing by killing him off. What, were all the authors sick of writing about a 17 year old kid? Geezus! I have a Jango Fett/Clone Trooper bandaid on my finger. Ouchies. Yes, back on topic:
    I don't think they should've killed him, but on the other hand, they shouldn't resurrect him or have him come back as a Jedi Ghost. Besides, they burned the body, I don't think either of those is really a choice.

3. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    dp4m wrote:

I may have, but now you're no longer debating and getting into ad hominem attacks. Touchy, touchy...

I hoped you would recognize the humor in my comment. Sorry, should have include a little smiley or something.

;)

Also, I suggested that the younger folks who wanted the return were the ones who read the YJK/JJK series. The older folks I based on the other measurements. I certainly didn't read YJK or JJK books...

Didn't catch my boo-boo.

It may be. Except that Star Wars did it once before and, to my knowledge, Dark Empire sold better than any other issue of any Marvel SW comic. Plus remains relatively well-regarded by the masses many, many years later. (NOTE: This does not include DE2 or EE! ) Is your argument that you'd not like him back or you'd not like him back if done poorly? Because that's two separate arguments. If it's the former, then I have already won...

That's right, they have done it once before. In fact, they've done it two or three times before. I think enough is enough, and I think that is the general feeling of many other fans. The idea of someone not really being dead and coming back has been done before - why do we need to read the same thing over and over again? Done too many times, and the idea of death becomes mundane because it isn't permanant.

My opinion on Troy Denning's writing has NEVER been an issue for debate about this. I LOOOOOOVED Denning's novel for all it was worth in the way it was written. I disagreed mightily with what was said in it. The distinction is a rather large one. Bad storytelling does not mean poorly written -- especially when you're dancing to someone else's tune (and admitted it).

Denning was a writer for hire. He was just doing his job, and while his choice of words during Anakin's death are questionable, I thought he did a rather good job.

That's a ridiculous notion. Our argument has never been (to my knowledge) "So many people have been killed off and never come back, it's cliche at this point!" How many people have TRULY come back from the "dead." As in, a body died and they came back anyways? Two? Emperor and Callista? Isard? Not dead, presumed. Fett? Not dead, presumed. Corran? Not dead, presumed. Jacen? Not dead, presumed. At this point, it's more cliched to have someone die and stay dead... Chewbacca, Elegos, Vale, Borsk, Tsavong Lah, Miko, Numa Rar, Raynar, Ganner, etc, etc, etc...

You're nit-picking. It doesn't matter whether or not they were really "dead" or not, the story's still the same. A person everyone thought was dead returns - the semantics of the situation are irrelevant.

And, I've never suggested that anyone believed "So many people have been killed off and never come back, it's cliche at this point!"

What you are arguing against is history. We are arguing for the future.

You're arguing because you're willing to risk ruining a character because you liked him. I'm arguing that leaving him dead allows him to remain respectable.

That is just my opinion, however.

4. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Ooops, I upped this at the moment DP posted the analysis I was looking for!

Thus, I'd theorize that the popular culture influenced the younger generations more to the point of enjoying realism in EVERY form of diversionary entertainment, and thus not wanting Anakin back. Whereas those of us who have grown up with Star Wars (and the description I posted from the WEG original Star Wars: RPG book) are a bit... taken aback by the direction the series has gone and want Anakin's triumphant return.

Nice theory! Nice to see the reasoning behind the thread too! :D

5. Jet-Eye-Blah

Jet-Eye-Blah Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Thus, I'd theorize that the popular culture influenced the younger generations more to the point of enjoying realism in EVERY form of diversionary entertainment, and thus not wanting Anakin back. Whereas those of us who have grown up with Star Wars (and the description I posted from the WEG original Star Wars: RPG book) are a bit... taken aback by the direction the series has gone and want Anakin's triumphant return.

I'm sorry, :) even if Anakin Solo pulled a Jesus, his return will not be a bit triumphant. This is NJO, not YJK. This serie is suppose to be dark and mature, not childish populist.

[face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.