main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anakin Solo in the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This is pretty much my feeling on the matter. There are two completely different characters here who just happen to have the same names.

2. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    She knew, and her son would knew. That wouldn´t usually been enough if Dark Horse had thought the Force ghosts would have told them Anakin´s backstory the day after the Endor party. As it was narrated, Anakin jr just knew sr had gone DS not knowing the reasons and became reasonably scared of his name.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    He's a Jedi descended from Anakin Skywalker. His burden is going to be great no matter what the name. You might as well just thumb your nose at history and say, "yeah, my name is Anakin, what about it?"

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think them naming Anakin and him living up to the legend of Anakin Skywalker the Jedi hero would have been amazing. But his premature death and Jacen's fall to the dark side ruined it. Jacen's story arc overshadows his and is much more related to his grandfather, both in and out-of-universe. Imagine how epic it would have been to see that clash of Force powers between Anakin Solo and Darth Caedus?

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Originally, Anakin was Jacen and Jacen was Anakin.

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Exactly. Every single one of Vader's major descendants save Ben (That I can remember anyways) has struggled with his legacy at some point, regardless of what his/her name is.

7. Anakin Solo Reborn

Anakin Solo Reborn Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2013
    Anakin Solo is the greatest character from the EU. A character I feel they need to bring back. They killed him off way to soon.

8. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Not bring him back. Undo his death. The entire LotF-series must be erased from contiunuity.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  9. Anakin Solo Reborn

Anakin Solo Reborn Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree that they should undo from the New Jedi Order series onward, unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As much as I didn't like the fact that Anakin Solo got killed off and for the lamest reason possible, I can't imagine any way of resurrecting him that wouldn't be worse.

Revanfan1, HWK-290 and krtmd like this.
  11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Uppps, I was thinking of Jacen Solo there. Anakin can stay dead. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing between TUF and the beginning of the Legacy-comics.

My apologies for any confusion. [face_blush]

Gorefiend and DigitalMessiah like this.
  12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    okay that's confusing.

13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    if i remember right wasn't Anakin during the NJO series being called the next "Luke Skywalker?"

14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yep, but apparently GL saw the character as being too similar to Anakin SKywalker and though that would confuse people. So he had him executed.

15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    According to Pablo, that's not true. Lucasfilm (not known whether it was Lucas specifically or not) said that Anakin's arc was too close to Anakin Skywalker's, and to swap the role with another character. Nothing was said about killing Anakin. That was LucasBooks and Del Rey's choice. They could have switched the arcs and kept Anakin alive.

http://tosche-station.net/mythbusting-did-george-lucas-order-anakin-solos-death/

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Anakin's martydom at the hands of George Lucas is an important part of his fan worship though.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Still, it was a net-loss.

If Anakin had remained the "philosopher", I am absolutely convinced the PTB would not have dared to turn him to the dark side in the aftermath of the NJO.

Solent and DigitalMessiah like this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm not.

Lucas was not in the loop for LOTF/FOTJ like he was for NJO. Remember, "Vergere was a Sith."

That they billed up Caedus as the next Vader so much to promote the series, I have absolutely no doubt the editors that "loved" the idea would have been loving it even more if it was Anakin Solo becoming a Sith Lord like his grandfather. It's the legacy of the Force!

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Heh. If only Caedus had been the next Vader.

Turn the last remaining Solo son to the dark and drag Vergere through the mud if you absolutely must... but, for pity's sake, at least give us a truly magnificent, long lasting villain in return.

20. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    I don´t see Lucas allowing that, no matter how out of the loop he was. And what would they have called him, Vader 2.0?
    Sith Vergere wasn´t that much of a strech, even in universe we are told she wasn´t right (Luke - Jacen conversation in NJO). I just think as she was, Vergere probably despised Sith for they lack of control. Maybe she was this generation´s Traya?

They could have still killed Jacen, have Jaina save the day in NJO, and then no LotF because Lucas wouldn´t allow Anakin to become the "hero" (although calling anybody in LotF hero is being very generous).

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He wasn't in the loop. It doesn't matter if he wouldn't allow it, he wouldn't even know about it.

Wasn't right about what? What Luke said she said, which isn't what she actually said? Because Luke was actually agreeing with her in that scene.

Tangential rant: for people that get upset about the EU getting trampled by Lucas, I have to ask why the EU bothers even asking Lucas' approval for stuff, when they go out and violate it anyway. Lucas rejected Anakin as the focal character because in the outline it was said "that he is the prophesied one." Lucas felt this was too close to the prequel storyline, that there was a prophesied Anakin, not that he was a hero -- Anakin Skywalker wasn't the hero. Legacy of the Force is the prequel storyline repeated. If he rejected a prophesied Anakin as being too close to the films, why would he allow Anakin's grandson to follow the same exact story as Anakin?

He rejected the Yuuzhan Vong as exiled extra-galactic Sith because he didn't like the idea of a Sith society -- it didn't fit his idea of the Sith being a cancer that wiped each other out, so this millennia old extra-galactic Sith culture didn't fit his conception of the Sith. What changed for the Lost Tribe? Nothing.

So why even ask Lucas his opinion or for his approval if you're going to ignore the spirit of the rejection while following the precise rejection itself? I'm sure there has been EU trampled on numerous occasions for precisely this reason.

xezene likes this.
  22. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    The only thing I read from Lost Tribe were the tales by JJM before the first time jump, and I´d say it showed why Sith and society is almost an oximoron. Backstabs, genocides, and so on. How was it in FotJ?

I´ll reserve any further discussion regarding Vergere´s ideas in TUF until I find that paragraph again. As far as I remember, he didn´t agree with her at all.

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Saying you disagree with someone doesn't mean much if you're actually agreeing with what they said. If Luke swapped out Vergere's name for Yoda, would he be disagreeing with Yoda?

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Is that really wanted though? Where a new character is concerned? I'm not really convinced. Though if you're going to have one, you need a reason for why s/he can't be taken out easily and you need a supply of disposable villains too.

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    No, I suppose you're right, it'd have been awful if LotF had merely been Caedus' origin story, and -- despite the lamentable NJO retconning -- he'd gone on to be a truly marvelous villain to plague our characters well into the future, ala Doctor Doom.

_Catherine_ likes this.