main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anakin Solo is overrated

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DigitalMessiah, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    *reads most recent posts on the post-NJO*

*blinks*

*blinks again*

WTF is this...I don't even...

*goes back into corner with Kenobi novel and feigned ignorance*

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I remember the night when complete Invincible spoilers hit the boards, and it was kind of a gray dull headache thing.

I'd loved for it to be something completely bonkers. An entire novel on the level of Daala making chief of state, that would have been a night to remember.

Nobody145 and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I wonder if Denning secretly wishes he could write for comic books, where space is warped and time is bendable.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Hasn't the character of Anakin Solo been dead longer than he's been alive by now?

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Born in 10 ABY, died in 27 ABY -- but I believe he was 16 IIRC. Would have been resurrected in 41.5 ABY. Crucible is in 45 ABY. By Crucible, yes.

Had he been resurrected, he would only have been two years older than Ben and Tahiri would be substantially older than him.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I meant in real life. His run was 1991 to 2001, right?

There are people posting on these boards who weren't born yet when Star By Star came out.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    *drinks*

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    May 23, 1995 to October 30, 2001.

Edit: Although, I suppose he appears as a baby in JAT which is before he's actually depicted as being born, so that would precede it. October 1, 1995 is when he became an actual "character" per se in The Golden Globe.

Revanfan1 and Ghost like this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So people have been complaining about his death over twice as long as he's even been "alive"... :p

And there are people posting on these boards who weren't born yet when Star By Star came out.

windu4 likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm not going to knock people for that.

From my perspective, I find that five years of character development is quite a bit to flush down the toilet and it's really killed my interest in stories of that era.

I just think Anakin is rather lacking in substance as a character and consequently easily replaceable. I think it's a testament to how bad things have gotten that they haven't even been able to do that to most folks' satisfaction.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, wherever he is, I'm sure Jimmy's plenty rustled right about now.

RC-1991 and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    How do you think Rhett feels? This whole forum is an overrated thread for him.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, to be fair, the nice thing about comic books is that any boneheaded decision - like, oh, let's say derailing a popular character's personality, turning him into a poorly-conceived villain, and killing him - can and usually will be undone. As I've said before, one drawback of the EU's single continuity policy is that bad writing is forever.

Grey1 and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell.

15. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I think the only problem with all of this, is because he's dead, all we have is speculation. That's why he appears to be "overrated". IU, his last cameo before NJO was the Anja Gallandro arc at the end of YJK? Must have been, what, a year before the Yuuzhan Vong invaded, with him at age 15? He's still growing up! And he had to grow up fast. At age 15, he loses Chewbacca, and his father initially blames him. That changes a person. Then Dantooine, and he almost dies protecting Mara, and then Daeshara'cor dies. All these have their affects on him. Then he turns 16, and he has a dream involving his best friend. When he returns to Yavin IV, Tahiri remarks that he's changed. How could he not have? His world turned upside down, and the past 2 years have served to harden him. By the time Star by Star rolls around, he's not only discovered a greater aspect of the Force, he's maturing into a man, and taking responsibility for things. He's still rash, of course, rushing to save Jaina, but he couldn't bear to lose any other members of his team. In that light, it's noble. And it shows he's human. Given the chance, he would've gone on to lead the Jedi, I have no doubt of that. It's not that it's too out-of-character, it's that he's growing, and learning.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Nah dude, Jaina gets mistreated as character from time to time by Denning by bad authors by some authors, but when she gets taken out of the box and used *right*...she shines.

So damn stupid. *So* stupid.

Revanfan1 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  17. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    Such as? Denning's use of her is not great, but still better than anything else I've read.

18. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Please tell me thats a Two Best Friends Play reference :p

[​IMG]

19. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    When Star by Star came out, I didn't even know there were Star Wars books; as a matter of fact, I didn't grow into Star Wars until a year later, when AotC came out and I watched that at the Chinese Theater. It wasn't until the year after THAT that I discovered the EU through the Star Wars Databank, and grew to love Anakin Solo.

20. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I was there when he was born and I've never been that big into him. He never really became anything to me.

In fact, his greatest moment for me is still his heroic death/martyrdom in SBS. Also, best Denning book by far.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    This thread made me realize something which I never thought about. Leia was only pregnant with Anakin in the original Dark Empire, but he isn't born until #6 of Dark Empire II, where he's named Han Solo, Jr. Anakin. But he's depicted in the Jedi Academy trilogy prior to that, and as the subject of a subplot on Anoth, in which he's named Anakin. KJA wrote the foreword to the trade paperback of Dark Empire in which he said he was writing his trilogy with only Jacen and Jaina with knowledge of Zahn's books only, and then he learned of Dark Empire and a third child, so Veitch presumably informed KJA of what he intended to name Leia's third child so KJA could use it before Anakin was actually depicted as being born. Early EU cooperation!

Vthuil, tjace and Mia Mesharad like this.
  22. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Yeah...if you really think Denning's Jaina is the best we've had, I don't see any point. Needless to say, we disagree.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I can agree with the general proposition that Anakin is overrated, but I'm not as hard on the character. The fan deification of Anakin and angst over his death is silly -- it's a good death that served a good narrative purpose, and all the hoopla acting as if the entire EU died when he got killed and it was the death of hope and goodness everywhere is incredibly overheated. He was one of a large cast of next-generation characters who could fulfill the simple role of being the crusading, action-hero young Jedi, and he's honestly probably better served as an everlasting symbol of potential cut down young, the cost of war, than persisting and having authors struggle to mature him and keep him a memorable character and not run into the same mess as every other character.

But I do think the character had something to offer. It's easy to call the crusading, action-hero young Jedi role generic, but it's necessary, and it's not necessarily synonymous with Luke. The key is what you do with the personality of the character, and on that score I think Anakin comes off well. He's a straightforward, fight-the-war, be-an-action-hero kid, young and confident and eager to prove himself, but that doesn't really push all the way to being brash, cocky, and reckless. He's not the typical hothead type. He's also thoughtful, engaging in debate with Jacen, willing to consider what a Jedi's role is, processing the war -- he just comes to a more active position than Jacen. His struggle with survivor's guilt was just a segment of his larger struggle with the central question of the NJO -- the question of responsibility. He's friendly, and his experience with Vua Rapuung is great. He's got a romance that's not earth-shattering, but it's a nicely executed little teenage-friends-admit-their-love dynamic and he's fun with Tahiri. It's clear that his arc over the course of the NJO was pointing toward an increasingly thoughtfulness about the war, further maturation, and I think he and Jacen would have eventually converged had death not intervened. I think he was one of the better riffs on the eager-young-Jedi concept, and there was a lot more to the character than just a pale copy of Luke or a generic action hero.

DurararaFTW, tjace, Zeta1127 and 5 others like this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    One of the central pillars of my "KJA is underrated" argument I make from time to time is that, say what you may about his actual writing, he was very willing - unlike most of the EU authors then, who just basically did their own thing - to go along with what others did.

25. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    Oh come on, that's such a weak cop out. If you don't give me any examples how am I supposed to know what you're talking about? From what I recall Denning actually gets Jaina to do stuff (even if it's often stupid stuff) when other authors just shove her in the background or give her pointless jobs. I might be wrong but how would I know if you don't give me your reasoning?

meh. What's more important? A good, interesting well written story, that has some minor discrepancies with other material (that most people wouldn't even notice), or a story that incorporates continuity well but is written so terribly and childish-ly that I can't even make it more than half way through!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.