main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin tells you Palpatine is the Sith Lord. What do you do?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Jul 2, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    As the title says, would you do?

Would you have a plan that is different from the one Mace and Yoda had?

Would you inform the Senate first?

Can you think of a way of using this information to prevent Order 66 and the Rise of the Empire?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    By the time Anakin told him, it was too late.

I'd probably inform the Senate first but I would not expect it to do any good. The scene in which he declares himself Emperor demonstrates that they are already on his side. Plus I doubt the average Senator even knows what a Sith Lord is.

Beyond that I would do exactly what Mace did, but I would ignore Anakin's whining and strike the killing blow.

3. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011
    I like your reasoning, anakinfansince1983. In fact, I might even go one step further. Given how unstable Anakin was at that time, I might have ordered the Jedi at the Temple to temporarily detain Anakin until the situation was resolved.

Going to the Senate might prevent an accusation of treason. On the other hand, given how loyal they had become to Palpatine, they might have ordered the Jedi not to take any action against Palpatine without proof, and that would have made any action they take treasonous.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. DragonIroh

DragonIroh Jedi Master

Aug 5, 2013
    Better yet, thrust the lightsaber straight through Palpatine's heart, instead of dramatically raising his arm for a swing. Less chance of having an arm cut off that way.

Course then you'd have to deal with Anakin and that might be... problematic.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Mace would have no problem kicking Anakin's ass if the need arose.

Tosche_Station and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. DragonIroh

DragonIroh Jedi Master

Aug 5, 2013
    True, True

What are the odds that Mace, if he survived, would find a way to have Anakin take the blame for killing Palpatine, deflect it away from the Jedi? Anakin being mentally unsound, might make for a perfect scapegoat for the public.

Course that obviously would make him no better than the Sith. But in Mace's eyes, Anakin's just proven himself untrustworthy and unfit to be a Jedi.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Even if true, that would be no reason to blame Anakin for something he did. Mace, as a Jedi, would take responsibility for his own actions. He would probably get arrested, but at least he would have prevented the Sith from returning.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what I think too. Mace wouldn't lie about what happened.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If the Jedi had to detain Anakin, question is could they stop him?

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You mean after he turned?

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would've done exactly what Mace did. Destroy the Sith first, and then deal with the ramifications with the senate later. I would've struck the killing blow without hesitation, ignoring Anakin's pleading to the contrary. Too much is at stake.

CT-867-5309 and enigmaticjedi like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Stop Anakin from what? Screaming that Padme is going to die and that it's ALL THEIR FAULT?

I'm sure he'd try to fight back, and yes, he's skilled, but I think he'd lose against Mace and several others. Especially while emotional and therefore not on top of his game.

13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    offer him a brandy "so I can bloody well sort it out" it with him, how to end the war.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    ^ That. Well said, mate. Though I think the drink would be offered to Sidious, yes? :)

15. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    I think that mes520 meant stopping Anakin from leaving the Jedi Temple to interfere with Palpatine's arrest.

16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    CA: yes :)

it's actually a line taken from the novel in which Anakin and the Chancellor are talking about the Sith.

While the context isn't really the same, I'd still try to sort things out with Sidious if I found out he was a Sith, try to reach his humanity a bit, only if to see if there was.

17. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Yep, that's it.

18. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Well I would hope I was smart enough to realise that this means that Palpatine's been way, way ahead of the curve for a couple of decades now and playing a game that no-one else even knows the rules of. And from there it would be telling the other Jedi what I've been told then booking my butt on the next flight to somewhere really, really remote and getting out of dodge with a shiny new ID and hoping he's too busy to come after me. The galaxy's screwed, but that doesn't mean I should be!

Yeah, I'm despicable. But also alive, which is alright by me.

19. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    I'd go to the senate first. Not the whole senate. I'd go the senators connected to the Jedi Order. Bail or Padme would do. They, in turn, could have taken it to the Delegation of 2000, the people who were suspicious of Palpatine's power grabs. It would have taken more time, but it would have given me some kind of senate backing and shown my respect for the system I'm meant to support. The way Mace did it, it was like he was unaware that the Jedi Order's reputation was apparently in the dumpster. I'd hope I'd be more knowledgeable about where I stand. This also isn't a Jedi who left the order like Dooku. Mace was a council member, a representative of the entire Order. Being in that position, I'd better think about how my actions would affect every other Jedi.

So, yeah, I'd get some political support before I commit treason, and take some non-Jedi when I make the arrest in a public area.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    I'd hold off on the arrest for a start. If Palpatine's told Anakin then....I'd figure, he expects....no, he wants the Jedi to act now. So...walk with Anakin back to the temple in order to contact Yoda. Warn the Jedi more generally to disengage from their units (an army of clones who 'follow orders without question' of questionable origin - to say the least - and under the command of the Sith Lord "we have been looking for" just screams 'getaway from them')...and while I'm walking with Anakin ask him how this conversation went; why didn't he kill Palpatine? Is it because he felt endangered? Was he armed? You know.....'what's going on here Anakin? There's something you're keeping from me. This is vitally important - nothing else matters at the moment.' etc...

21. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I am not sure any of this would work, knowing Palpatine...
    If I wanted to save my hide, I'd definitely leave.

But if I was focused on the Galaxy - getting together the most loyal Senators and the Jedi and sending them into hiding may be the best thing. In case things went south at any point. The other Senators could be dealt with later.
    Then, I'd still do what Mace did, and as anakinfan said...don't let Anakin influence anything.

I actually think it'd be a good idea to keep Anakin away from everyone while this is happening. Especially those going into hiding. There was really no way to tell how much Anakin had been influenced by Palpatine. If he had just told me Palpatine was the Sith, I'd wonder what else Palpatine had told him.

I'm trying to think of a method where they would safely allow the Empire's formation, but uproot it rapidly with a Rebellion. (That isn't the plot to the OT :p )

jakobitis89 likes this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well I guess they could go there in Jedi fighters zip to the outer window and blast him!

Might be a bit hard to explain to the Senate though but hey at least he'd be dead!

"Yes he was... A Sith Lord."

So we killed him and now are taking power.

But we will give it back...

once we've got rid of all of the corrupt Senators...

This might take a while.

23. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I disagree with what most are saying. Anakin can't be kept away from the situation, even by other Jedi, we saw how he handled the other Jedi when put up against him. Instead, I'd take a different approach, tell Anakin to pretend like he didn't reveal Palps identity.

I'd wait for Obi Wan and Yoda to both get back to the Jedi Temple. Yoda for the back up, and Obi Wan to try and keep Anakin in check.

But I guess that's the whole point of the PT, the Jedi have arrogance and have become overconfident. Instead of seeing that Palps obviously set this all up to happen at this time, when Anakin is vulnerable, desperate and alone they jump right into a fight. Sidious put in decades into the perfect moment the strike, and the Jedi can't even wait 10 minutes.

And they preach patience....

Darth Boycs, minnishe, jc1138 and 3 others like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Going to the senate first would take time-way too much time, compared to Sidious plans, and there would've been a great risk of Sidious finding out in the meantime. Mace knew this:

"We'll need to move QUICKLY if the Jedi order is to survive."

Also, if Sidious had the clone army at his beckoning with just a single command, it might not have mattered if the senate got together. Considering Sidious had spent the last decade weaving an intricate web of war and deceit, I'm sure they felt that he'd be able to manipulate things even more while on the defensive, if they had waited to kill him. When you have a rattlesnake approaching a group of children at a backyard birthday party, you go and immediately kill the snake to prevent any bites-not try to convince all of the children to find another place to sit. As long as the snake can still bite, the people there are still at risk.

Ultimately, the Jedi were planning to stage a coup. (Only this one would've been for the good of the galaxy-rather than just some tyrant taking over power with an army of mercenaries and thugs behind him to instate his agenda.) To a true Jedi it wouldn't have mattered what happened to them as a result of killing Sidious first-as long as it restored peace to the Republic. A Jedi would've made that their first priority, rather than self-preservation.

True, it would be a LONG road in explaining everything to the senate, but I believe they would've had enough supporters to eventually convince all of them of the truth. The Jedi knew how dangerous this was. At least Yoda did.

"To a dark place this line of thought will carry us. Great care we must take..."

only one kenobi likes this.
  25. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011
    Wow, this post was great.

When I was a kid, I erroneously thought that the Jedi were near-flawless heroes. In fact, there are many adult fans who still hold this viewpoint I had from when I was a kid.

Good analysis =D=