main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin/Vader Characterization - Anakin in the New Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rhonderoo, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    I'm sorry my fic whoring slowed this topic down....*back away slowly*

2. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    I LIKE that!!

Food for thought for me, too.

3. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Not even. I'm going over to read it right now.

4. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    ratna, the mods aren't too keen on double-posting. Might want to watch it.

...And I didn't realize how much that sentence sounded like the beginning to a fic or a summary or something...

5. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    Word.

He was an intense, excitable and protective young man when he made bad choices and was manipulated into making a very bad decision (ROTS). Much like a drug addiction, I'm sure he started out with the best intentions in mind (protecting family), thinking that he would be different, believing he could handle it and perhaps establish a benevolent rule.

20+ years of Darkside and learning to hate Palpatine (and have no doubt-they despised each other the whole time) let him grieve, reflect, and learn the Darkside wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Welcome back, Alethia! [:D] And fancy meeting you here, ROTSfan. [:D]

Did any of you see the Star Wars: Legacy Revealed special on the History channel? It was really good. The creators and writers seemed to understand the saga and it was neat seeing all of the notables like Linda Ellerbee and Dan Rather and others talking about our guy. :)

7. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I liked Kevin Smith's comment wondering why the most biggest villain in the galaxy some whiny teenager. The answer was that of course the the biggest bad guy was once some whiny emo kid.

I thought Linda Ellerbee was going to melt when discussing Han Solo answering just, "I know." just before getting put in the carbon freezing chamber.

8. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002

That part was great [face_laugh]

I loved the Legacy Revealed special. The discussion captured the unique elements of all the major players in Star Wars. R2 and 3PO as the Greek chorus? Who knew?

The Vader insight as well as Luke's relationship with Vader really struck a chord. I can't remember who brought it up, but I liked the part about Luke's choices. In theory Luke had two choices in RotJ - 1) kill Vader or 2) join him. Luke made up a third - 3) redeem his father.

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    This was my favorite part, too. "The sins of the father" was a good segment, as well as the piece on Vader/Anakin by himself and comparing him to Achilles. I liked that they didn't just go with the "iconic villian" and leave it at how many action figures there were of him, but got deeper into his character and what made him who he was, complete with psychologists' views. And the Vader/Luke piece was my absolute favorite. I love how they linked them together and showed the contrast, also. It was like they had been lurking here with all of us. :p

10. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    I thought the Palpatine/Anakin stuff was done quite well also. After quite a bit about the role of a mentor and how eventually everyone must become independent, we see Anakin instead strike a bargain to latch onto another mentor who can supposedly teach him what the others couldn't.

11. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree. I also liked how they showed Luke's independence and rejection of Obi-Wan and Yoda and their teachings to form his own conclusion in what he must do.

I think Padme's part was also done extremely well. Finally someone got her character in a commentary. Her as the nurturer goddess was really interesting.

12. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Another good metaphor was that Anakin wasn't burnt from the lava on Mustafar, but instead he was consumed by his passions.

13. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    I just finished writing a dream sequence for my fic. Vader (as Vader) has a dream about Padme and himself and she beggs him to save himself and come back to her. He wants to do that really bad but than he hears his Master calling him and he cannot disobay and cannot break away from Palpatine.

After writing this and rereading it, I came to a conclusion.

Palpatine (in all the movies) is Vader. Palpatine is Anakin's dark side. Palpatine is Vader because when you listen to all their conversations in the films it is like the good angel on your shoulder vs. the devil on your shoulder. Palpatine is the sounding board for Anakin's evil alter-ego.

So, I realized as I was writing the Fic that the voice of Palpatine holding back Vader in the dream and keeping him away from Padme is not Palpatine at all but Vader's own selfishness and weakness.

14. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Good way to think about it Minela! :)

Okay, so he cut Luke's arm off, but as a parent, I can't tell you how many times tough love is needed... [face_mischief]

But I think dying for your son makes up for it, at least a teeny, tiny bit, so vote for Vader in the Famous Dad poll on Amazon.

He's certainly better than that boring Mike Brady!

15. Dawashindi

Dawashindi Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2007
    I voted for Vader! I met some great writers at CIV and decided to check out the boards in more detail. Haven't written anything yet...

16. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Welcome! Let us know when you do, we love a good Vader story. :)

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    *dusts off cobwebs* We need a new discussion topic and maybe some challenge type stuff.

Anakin pre-TPM What do you think his life was like?

Ever since reading ROTS and the memories of Watto's fist, my perception of his childhood has been a bit changed. I was a bit naive about his life as a slave due to the more child friendly images from TPM. Then I though, he was a slave, of course his life was pretty bad.

How do you think he interacted with other slaves? He seemed to be a favorite in Mos Espa, and gave a lot of his winnings of the Boonta away before he left. What about his relationship with Shmi? And the pilots at the spaceport? Do you think their were any similarities between Luke and his father as boys?

How do you think that contrasts to his life later?

Discuss! :)

And for this period's challenge, something different: We all know Shmi and Anakin were slaves before Watto. But what about Shmi's life before Anakin? Write a story that shows us Shmi's history. It can be anytime, it can be through Anakin remembering things she told him, it can be a story about Shmi.. go crazy, there's a pretty clean slate here. ;)

Write your stories, and link here. :) Make sure you put the A/V thread challenge in the title.

18. CHEVALIER_RYU

CHEVALIER_RYU Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    About Anakin being winny. I think I allready said it on another thread but I think that people are being way too hard on him.

remember your teenager years, chances are you winned just I much, with less reasons to do so. I know I did and I'm a western middle class girl with great parents not a former slave living among a restrictive order that mistrust me on the edge of civil war, with a mother that dyed in an horrible way.

Do you think he ever forgave the Jedi for his mother death ? If he had acted on his dreams sooner maybe she would have survived.

19. CHEVALIER_RYU

CHEVALIER_RYU Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    about the tropic.

I think he was the darling of a good part of the town, he was a charming little boy and must have been a breath of freash air for a lot of them. some other must have distrusted him, Judged him with disdain, either for his slave status or for his unnatural habilities.
    And as a whole I think the people of Mos Espa ( or is it Mos Eisley) were very much pragmatists an so used to violence that beatings, killing or separating families was ordinary.

20. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    I always thought Anakin had a father. Deep down, he would have known and wonder who he was. I've never met my real father and I often think about him but the thought of bridging my father and Anakin's into one would be an interesting course. On that note, it could also help if I write what I feel and how I thought about who this man would have been if he was still around. I honestly don't believe in the whole concept of "concieved by the force" - I mean, come on, the only way a woman could get pregnant is by having you know.

My vision would be that Anakin met his father as a very young lad but one day, he was excited to see him again and while waiting patiently at sunset, he never showed. Meaning, something bad might have happened and no one never heard from him again. This has helped me come up with fresh blood (new character) to that galaxy far far away. I imagine him as a space pirate even though he has the potential to use the force but he strayed away from the path of the Jedi because of the pressures of understanding what the force is and what it means and learning how to deal with having the kind of control over your power and so forth. Yet somewhere along the way, something does happen to him and I havn't really thought that far ahead yet.

As for Anakin, I think he always has been a curious kid back in the day. I still think he should have been a tad older but know that Shmi is the only family he has because all his life he's been with her. If he was with his father, things would have been different but on the other hand, he felt his son wasn't ready to face the unknown as we call it - the Galaxy. He just wanted what was best for him and Shmi... to protect them both - especially Anakin from the Sith. Though someday, Anakin would face the same choice whither for good or evil. Well thats just my thoughts for the time being.

Working on the fic as we speak.

21. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi all!

I have a question that you might be able to help me with. Did Anakin's perception of the word "master" change at all during his life? He's never been without one, and he had at least three: Watto, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Palpatine/Sidious. I haven't read too many Star Wars novels, so I'm not sure if anyone ever addressed the issue.

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Welcome! :) I don't think it did, really. I think deep down he harbored a resentment at never being "free". Out of them all, Obi-Wan ended up being the father that he never had, but I don't think he realized it until the end.

If you guys haven't gotten it already, there a new book out called The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader from Scholastic. It's a young reader book, but it's Anakin's life through his own eyes. It's a really good book!!

23. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I'll second Rhonda's recommendation.

I believe Obi-Wan makes a similar observation in the young reader book. I don't have the book with me for the exact quote, but he states that Anakin doesn't have positive feelings towards "masters" and that the Jedi Council doesn't understand this fact.

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'll have to get that!

25. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, Nicki, in it Obi-Wan says something about the Council not understanding the connotation of "Master" for Anakin based on his experiences and his childhood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.