main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin/Vader Characterization - Anakin in the New Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rhonderoo, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I've heard a lot of theories on this one, but I believe that Obi-Wan proved that the word Master could actually have positive connotations, but that it wasn't until after Anakin was Knighted that he actually realized that.

2. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Here's the quote. (This is after TPM when Anakin is brought to the Temple for training.) HTR just to be safe. :)

"He knew that Anakin's upbringing - as well as his formidable powers - set him apart from the other Padawans and even alienated him from some of the Jedi Masters. After all, Anakin had an unfortunate history with the word "Master".

They don't know what it's like to be born into slavery."

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    :eek: Well, that adds another layer to his feelings toward the Jedi, that's for sure...

Though I wonder, would the Council really rub it in, the whole "Master" issue, as a form of tough love? It might be their way of teaching him that he has to rise above his surroundings, detach himself, all that good jazz.

On the other hand, the PT Council folk weren't known for their warm fuzzy feelings, and look what happened to them. :p

4. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Thanks for the input, everybody! [:D]

It always seemed to me that Anakin had no real reason to change how he thinks about the concept of "master" from his initial experience of it from Watto. Apart from Obi-Wan, the Jedi in general apparently viewed him as someone who might be useful, but isn't to be trusted. And, of course, dear old Palpy set things in stone with his handling of Anakin post-Mustafar.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Exactly. Obi-Wan understood that he needed special handling, but the Council in all their infinite wisdom didn't believe in "special handling" (unless you count the fact that they finally allowed Obi to train him) and that sometimes special circumstances make things "gray". It makes Obi's statement about absolutes on Mustafar writhe in irony. ;)

Both Anakin and Obi-Wan were put in very difficult places by fate, the Force, whatever you want to call it in the GFFA - and with a lot of things working against them on top of that (Palpatine and the Council).

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Got it last week and I've read a little. How sad (or funny) is Scholastic > Del Rey? o_O

7. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Probably because Scholastic's audience is the younger set - the subject is interesting enough so that they don't have to add unnecessary complications to give it "depth." :oops:

8. Lilly_Kasei

Lilly_Kasei Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2007
    I was reading through and this caught my attention. It's a little old but I have a good response/question for Brodiew. He says

I would bring into question Kyp Duron. he destroyed star systems and killed planets full of sentient beings. yet he was punished by becoming a servant of the galaxy by becoming a Jedi. so how about a redeemed Ankian? and by the way there is a good Anakin redemption story called A matter of technique by reckaryujinn

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Also catching up. I always thought that Kyp's punishment was completely wrong. He should have had more consequences than becoming a Jedi. However, there was a good story in 'Tales from the New Republic' called 'Simple Tricks' where a non-Jedi meets Kyp and realizes how badly he felt about what he'd done.

So I agree with Brodiew - Anakin should be punished for what he'd done. I think Anakin himself would have demanded it.

As for Scholastic books, I like them. They really seem to flesh out parts of the story very well even though they are supposedly for kids.

10. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I received my copy of Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force a couple of days early, and I was showing it to Rhonda and Jedi Trace this weekend. The book is worth buying for the artwork alone, and it induced some fangirl moments for us. [face_laugh] The following pics are by Chris Trevas.

Shmi and Anakin arriving on Tatooine
    [image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/TNPredsFan/LiveJournal/shmi_anakin.jpg]

Anakin constructing his lightsaber
    [image=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/TNPredsFan/LiveJournal/anakin.jpg]

I highly recommend picking up a copy.

11. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Wow. That artwork is fantastic!

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Looooooove that pic of Shmi and little Ani. [face_love]

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Love the picture of Anakin constructing his lightsaber. That was cool!

Edit: it's going on my Christmas list!

14. CHEVALIER_RYU

CHEVALIER_RYU Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    I'm sure he had ambivalous feelings thoward the word master. On one hand he had a positive experience with qui-Gon, and intellectually he is aware of the difference between a jedi master and a slave master.

but when jedi are cold or mistrunsting thoward him or just when they misunderstand him, I'm sure the two definition start to blend emotionally.

15. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Just picked up the book, the artwork all throughout is freakin' sweet!

16. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Even though I'm on page 55 I am going to come to the Council's defence.

During World War II British broke the German code. After they broke the code they learned that the Germans were going to bomb a town. The Brits had two choices, a. evacuvate everyone and take a chance that the Germans would realize that their code had been broken or b. not do anything so they could listen in on German plans.

The Jedi Council probably saw that by placing Anakin with Palpatine they could spy on the Sith Lord and Palpatine therefore ending the war sooner by hopefully keeping the Sith Lord in the dark as of how close the Jedi were to him. They didn't count on a few things though like the Sith Lord being the Puppet Master of the entire war.

They probably thought if the denied Palpatine's request and kept Anakin safe in the walls of the Jedi Temple they would let Sideous know that they knew he was in Palpatine's inner circle and he would disappear.

How I see it the Jedi Council like the Brits took a chance on 'maybe' in the Jedi's case that blunder turned out to be fatile for the whole galaxey.

I'm a horrorible speller when it comes to words that are not spelled the way they should be.

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    How is everyone???

I came in to wish all of my Anakin fan friends Happy Holidays, and you guys are discussing stuff! :):D

This makes sense. I don't think they went out of their way to make a terrible blunder on any of it, but suffered from not listening (to Obi-Wan especially) and paying attention to subtle currents in the force. But they were desperate, and that leads us to do desperate things, sometimes against our inner voice's better judgment.

18. CHEVALIER_RYU

CHEVALIER_RYU Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    I never thought of it quite like that but now that I read it I can't help but agree.

19. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    As long as we're (sort of) on the subject of masters... To me, Anakin is a rather complex person - he is rather dominant, does not like being bossed around and obeying rules that aren't his own. Yet he strikes me as being rather submissive in his personal relationships - eager to please and to be praised. I believe it does stem from his past as a slave. No matter that he hated - for I believe he did - being owned and all that it entails as far as self-esteem and respect for yourself as a human being are concerned, the master-slave relationship will be familiar, and therefor feel safe to him, which I believe is one reason why he becomes so utterly dependant on Palpatine. Not only is his family and friends dead (okay, mostly because he killed them, but hey - still hurts); the only one left for him is one who is more than willing that ressurect a relationship pattern Anakin is very familiar with. It's like abused women falling in with the same kind of man again and again, really.

Of course, as I said, Anakin does not like being ordered around, no more than women like being abused, but I still believe he has a hard time getting away from this kind of destructive relationship when it is offered to him.

*blinks* Okay. Enough with the random rambling.

As for redemption, and what would happen to Anakin had he survived ROTJ... It's a nasty question, that one, and one I find rather hard to answer. Dismissing it as easy would be... well, too easy. (Okay, so I lied. I'm going to keep on rambling.) Now, don't expect a coherent and eloquent presentation of the solution to this problem, 'cause I haven't got one of those. Just a few general thoughs on forgiveness.

No abslute unforgiveability One the one hand, I don't believe in absolute unforgivability (as in, an act that cannot, for ever reason, under any circumstances, be forgiven, ever) - as far as I am concerned, that is not for me or anyone else to say; the decision to forgive, or not, always rests with the victim. Of course, some things are harder (and should be harder, as we should not accept people treating us badly) than others to forgive, but ultimately, there is no such thing as an act that must not be forgiven. However, the fact that Anakin is a massmurderer, torturer and generally bad guy, does not make him inelegible for forgiveness as such.

Consideration for the victims. Having said that, the mere fact that Anakin is genuinely sorry for what he has done doesn't necesarrily help his victims (certainly not the dead ones). They have been hurt, and they deserve justice. Now, justice is a complicated concept at best. What is justice? Can there any be any true justice? Me being pretty much an atheist, I tend to think not, and thus any attempts to achieve it will fail, succeeding only on a surface level. So what about the victims? Ruling out true justice for them, what else can they have? For me, they should be given whatever (within certain limits, of course) they need in order to... move one is probably not the right word. But make them feel as all right with what happened as possible. When someone wrongs us, they basically says "you are not important, you do not matter, and thus I can hurt you" and thereby robs us of our self-esteem and the all-important sense of having a worth. Will punishing the offender restore that? If that is the case, then punishment does indeed seem like proper response. Then again, it needen't be the only way to achieve a restoration of significance (yeah, so I'm arguing from Pargament's coping theory). If the offender expresses genuine regret, that means that he acknowledges that he was wrong to treat us in such a way - that is, he confirms our human worth and dignity. Though that will not (and probably should not) always be enough for us to forgive those who have,

20. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    "What I really wanted to ask in this post was: anyone care to point me in the direction of any good Anakin redemption fics? I've read most of the 'classics', but I would love to read more."

Well, I'm struggling with the same problem there :D ... and now I'm in hope that our dearest Kee might be desperate enough to start a new fic... *puppy eyes* :D

And do not be that critical with "good, old ones" please!

21. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Hey, I did update NWD like two months ago! Who would have thought... *smirks* Might actually finish that fic one day. Then maybe there will be another...

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Speaking of Masters...

Spoiler Warning for the new Animated Clone Wars Series below...

Anakin had a Padawan

Um...what? Her name is Ahsoka and she is a Tagrota, like Shak Ti. :eek:

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I was just about to say something. Since when????? And wouldn't Obi-Wan know????

I'm confused. :confused:

24. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I know...!

Wookiepedia Article

And someone in Lit had this picture: (Obviously Spoilerific to some new Clone Wars game coinciding with the TV series)

[image=http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/2608/cw1fj7.jpg]

25. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Anakin has a Padawan?!?! :eek: Never saw that coming...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.