main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin/Vader Characterization - Anakin in the New Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rhonderoo, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    I've been reading through this thread and greatly enjoying it!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who sees Anakin with a huge chip on his shoulder labelled CLASS ISSUES. I haven't read much of the EU minutiae, so hearing little bits here is really useful to me. :)

What do y'all do with details like Darth Vader having a valet - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vader%27s_valet ? Obviously it was written before Vader/Anakin's whole story was fleshed out... but I'm about to tackle this issue in my fanfic, and I'd love to be able to hear different opinions and perspectives.

2. brokenlullaby

brokenlullaby Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2010
    I've always liked the idea of the council taking Ahsoka away from Anakin for some reason and giving her to Plo Koon as a padawan to continue her training. That might be just me, though... [face_plain] I just can't see CN killing off the main character of the series, especially a strong female character like Ahsoka.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't like the idea at all, it would further fuel Anakin's resentment towards them, but I can totally see them doing it.

4. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I can see it, though it seems a little anticlimactic for that show, I think. It wouldn't make the show feel finished, because I'm more inclined to think that Anakin would be keeping obsessive track of Ahsoka regardless of being her master or not, and that would just feel like another story we're not getting told, if that makes sense. While I don't -want- her to die, per se (she's the reason I started watching the show in the first place - having an apprentice adds so much depth to his character) that's the only satisfying ending I can really see.

Of course, I'm kind of new at this whole being an Anakin fan thing. It's only just recently become a bug that's bitten me, so I may be wrong.

EDIT: Regarding the valet - I just don't know how I feel about that. It smacks of Starkiller to me, and I hate Starkiller. Of course, the valet is not so much an apprentice but like his own personal Hand, so I dunno. I always assumed Vader liked best to work alone unless ordered otherwise; he never seemed to think he needed help. As Anakin he was consistently doing things his own way, alone - I figure having help would just annoy him.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I love Ahsoka--love her--but my preferred ending for her would be her death, and Anakin failing to save her somehow or believing he has failed to save her. It would bring closure to her character, because if she were reassigned and we never saw her again, we would wonder if she survived Order 66, etc. It would also make Anakin that much more determined to save Padme, because he was not going to lose One. More. Person. that he loved, and would tie in well with ROTS.

6. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    There's tons and tons of pages upon pages of great discussion re: Ahsoka's fate over in the LACWAC forum, too. :)

I'm still kind of struggling with the whole valet issue. It makes sense that for, say, Bast Castle ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bast_Castle ) there would need to be some people there as basic infrastructure - a majordomo in the more traditional sense of the word, if you will. It's hard for me to figure out why Vader wouldn't merely use droids for that purpose, however. The best answer I've come up with for my own 'fic is that the skeleton staff for Bast Castle is mainly full of misfits he's had foisted upon him or otherwise picked up - like a person born into basically indentured servitude who was more or less given to Vader as a 'gift', or a slave recovered from a slaver's compound he stumbled across in official Imperial capacity. But that may be getting too much into my own personal 'head-canon', it's not as if there's really Dasje and Mirou in Wookieepedia.

Still a really interesting idea to ponder, though, especially if you're like me and have been watching too many British period dramas obsessed with above-the-stairs and below-the-stairs class tensions, lol...

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I posted my thoughts in that thread then left it. It was a little too contentious in there for me.

As far as Vader having valets, etc., I'm with EmilieDarklighter on this one, I think he preferred working alone. And he liked fixing his own stuff. Given that he was a slave, it's amazing that he didn't have more class issues than he did.

8. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I never got the feeling that Vader bought into the Empire's xenophobia, but rather held himself above it. Never really campaigned for the freedom of Wookiees, for example, but regarded those who maintained xenophobic views with the same kind of distaste Anakin always held for corrupt politicians or small bugs underneath his shoe. And as for Bast Castle - I like your ideas, Harpalyce (Really, I've got to dispense with this whole-username thing. Shall I call you Alyce? And all of you feel free to call me Emmi.), the idea of Vader stumbling over various people and housing a collection of misfits over the years. I get the feeling that life directly under Vader, be it at Bast Castle or aboard the Executor, was vastly different from the normal Imperial life.

Vader was a villain, sure, but he was a principled villain. I like to think that up until the very end, in his own twisted way, he thought he was creating a warped version of that better government he and Padme were talking about in Attack of the Clones. Perhaps waiting for Palpatine to die so that he could change the parts of the Empire that he thought were needless. (Didn't Vader work with Thrawn, at one point? I'm working my way through the comics but I haven't gotten there yet. I seem to remember something involving Corran Horn encountering a disguised Thrawn working for Vader.)

He also got extraordinarily fussy or irritable as Anakin if someone were doing a job he could have done faster and better. The incompetent obviously did not last long under Vader. I'm reminded of a Firefly quote.

I cannot abide useless people.

I imagine that all the people who performed their jobs ably or even extraordinarily might even have been loyal to Vader - if he prized anything, as Vader or Anakin, it was competence. And if he hadn't known there would be some people willing to follow him, and not the Emperor, I'd think that he wouldn't have been plotting to take over.

Anyway. Now that I've blurted my opinions all over the page, I think I'm going to go grab a soda. :p

9. TragicHeroLover132

TragicHeroLover132 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 24, 2010
    You know, I think both Vader and Anakin hated failure, which was of course related to his past as a slave. Also, I agree that he was a principled villain. Part of the reason why he wanted to have an Empire is because he thought his Empire would be less evil than Palpatine's---he thought Jedi were evil and therefore killed them, and also killed Imperial Officers when they "failed" him, but I can't imagine him wanting to enslave species and blowing up planets for the lulz. Like I said, he was against those type of things and thought if he ruled himself the Empire would be less evil. He himself only killed or harmed people whom he believed were dishonest, disloyal, traitorous, or evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.