main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin/Vader Characterization - Anakin in the New Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rhonderoo, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I don?t believe for a minute that Anakin?s love for his wife and unborn children caused him to fall to the dark side. But I do believe that the combination of the Jedi leadership?s unwillingness or inability to address the issue and Palpatine?s talent for exploitation set Anakin up perfectly for a downward spiral.

I completely agree! Anakin has a very human desire to marry the woman he loves and his career essentially makes that impossible. I think the Jedi's hard stance on "attachment" contributes heavily to Anakin's ultimate decision to turn dark. He is responsible for his choice, but I know I can relate to his thinking on the matter. I thought Ewan's statement on this was very insightful.

We've all made bad decisions due to the heat of the moment, or the emotional upheaval of a situation. Okay, I have, I shouldn't speak for others, LOL!

I get very sad when I think about what has to happen in Ep. 3. It's weird, but I almost dread seeing it. I will, of course, and more than once, but I know I'll cry! :_|

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I know what you mean, VaderLVR. I will have my hands over my eyes ALOT in this movie, I can tell. [face_worried]

And no, I'm going to extend the challenge, since this thread sank to page two and stayed there for a week, and I was too lazy to get over here an rescue it. You know, I'm probably due for a good "Apology Accepted, Rhonderoo...." :eek:

Gunrays_Lawyer, I agree on your point about the Jedi. I guess one of the most controversial topics for me is when I find myself "defending" Anakin's behavior in AOTC. As the mother of a 16-yr-old son, I saw so much of my son in the brash, arrogant, cocky, but oh-so-needy and insecure Anakin in EPII. And a lot of how my son comes out of that is me and my influence. How much freedom do I give him to make his own decisions, how much comfort and understanding do I offer despite not approving of somethings that he may feel in his infinite wisdom of 16 years?

Of course, any of you with teenagers (or children for that matter!)know, the more you hold them down or try to control them, the more "rebellious" they become. And what is amazing is their need for encouragement and self-esteem at a time when they don't really have it. This is one reason I cringed when Obi-Wan would make the mistake of shooting down Anakin's ego in the last movie. But Obi was like many parents in that we care too much to step back and wait until we don't embarrass them. Ah...now I'm rambling... :p

3. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Okay, I posted it. But it's not very mushy, unless you have a slightly skewed view of mushy. It's mushy from "a certain point of view."

4. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    "mushy from a certain point of view"... :p

Now this I gotta see... [face_laugh]

5. darththunderbird

darththunderbird Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2003
    I think Anakin was destined to face the choice to become Vader or remain Anakin. He CHOSE the darkness and turned away from the light, but he would face that fork in the road because it was his destiny to do so.

YES! YES! thrice YES!

I think he was faced with so many emotional conflicts, not understanding the forbidden attachment aspect, being a father, hiding his marriage and child-to-be from the Jedi,( specifically Obi-Wan, who he has such a deep bond with), and he was trying to find a way to handle it all, so his mind already wasn't where it usually was. Enter Palpatine, who has manipulated his way to the top. He says his intentions are good, that he wants to help the Republic. He has always been 'the only one that understands' Anakin, complimenting and 'supporting' him, so Anakin likes him, and is inclined to agree with his decisions, since a) they dont seem evil, and b) he wants to do well and has generally good intentions.

Anakin, in my opinion, gets stuck in the 'ends justify the means' mindset, So he unconciously turns a blind eye and ignores the 'red flags' about Palpatine's actions that would otherwise pop up in his head.

6. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Anakin, in my opinion, gets stuck in the 'ends justify the means' mindset, So he unconciously turns a blind eye and ignores the 'red flags' about Palpatine's actions that would otherwise pop up in his head.

That's a lot of Anakin's trouble in a nutshell.

We need to be thinking about the next challenge. What do you think? Should we do angsty Anakin? Oh yeah, he's never angsty... Or should we do some kind of Vader story? Maybe Vader humor ... [face_mischief]

7. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Well I'm up for anything Anakin! I sure do love that bad boy. I want to kick his tail for messing it up so badly, but then I want to hug him and tell him that he's still loved. I feel very motherly towards Anakin/Vader. I'm not sure that's a good thing...

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Of course that's a good thing! :p Seriously, I think that's what George was aiming for. ;) But why did he have to make him so freakin' complex and conflicted??? [face_laugh] All I know is any boy who loves his mama like he did can't be all bad. [face_laugh]

We could do maybe the missing scene where Vader finds out Luke is his son.

You guys throw something out there, or I'll have to choose... [face_worried]

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    We need to be thinking about the next challenge. What do you think?

Maybe a Vader/Luke or Vader/Leia 'behind the scenes/missing moment' from the OT?

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Well, I've always wondered what his first days in that armor were like...

11. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Well, I've always wondered what his first days in that armor were like...

I'd imagine there was a lot of chafing. :p

12. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Wow, I would like to participate in this. I love Darth Vader!! He is awesome!

[face_skull]darth_nemisis[face_skull]

13. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    A lot of chafing?! [face_laugh]

Of course, any of you with teenagers (or children for that matter!)know, the more you hold them down or try to control them, the more "rebellious" they become.
    This I think is where the JC harmed Anakin - by holding him down - in his own words, Obi-Wan was holding him back. :(

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Okay, the big question remains unasked and unanswered.

Do you think Vader wears underwear under that suit or does he live on the wild side and go commando?

Sick minds want to know!

15. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
  16. darththunderbird

darththunderbird Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2003
    well, since hes 'more machine than man'...im not inclined to think he needs underwear now

17. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Do you think Vader wears underwear under that suit or does he live on the wild side and go commando?

*spits drink onto keyboard*

:eek:

Considering the rather imaginative fanfic I've seen on the subject, I'll just agree with leia_naberrie.......

[face_laugh]

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Commando??? [face_laugh]

I remember finding out about Luke being Vader's son in ESB, it was like..."okay, how did he...? You know....". :confused: [face_laugh]

Considering the rather imaginative fanfic I've seen on the subject, I'll just agree with leia_naberrie.......

[face_laugh] Oh yeah, I never knew about it before, but appartently Vader was quite the ladies man during the OT days with a lady at every small outpost, according to some fanfic writers. (and we won't go any further...) o_O

Welcome, darth nemesis! Feel free to join in the convo or any of the challenges.

I think a good Vader/Luke or Vader/Leia missing scene in the OT is a good challenge. In fact we don't have to have only one at one time, we can do two or three.

Let's do it... o_O here

19. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Come on! Someone else has to write something for the proposal challenge AND the Vader/Luke or Leia one, too. I feel all lonely out there on that thread, like the only kid dancing to music no one else hears. Help!

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm working on both, a late A/P mush and a Vader/Leia missing scene... :)

Curse having a job, what the heck do I need one of those for again? :mad: Oh yeah, more Star Wars stuff... [face_laugh]

21. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I put up a VERY short Vader/Leia missing moment. "Moment" being the operative phrase here, LOL. I'm kinda nervous. I've never flown solo in Saga before and I've never attempted Vader without rhonderoo holding my hand. Please be gentle... [face_worried]

22. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

I think commando is a necessity. Boxers or briefs might ride up, and you can't go around killing Jedi Knights when you're stopping every now and then to undo a wedgie, especially in the suit Vader wears.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, everyone go check out Trace's awesome missing scene. :eek:

Herman, speaking of underwear...you're right, he probably doesn't wear it. I mean, if you look at the design of the armor codpiece, it's pretty evident, he's built for efficiency. [face_mischief]

[face_laugh]

Do you guys really want to go here??? o_O [face_talk_hand]

EDIT: I have done five edits because I can neither type or spell.

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Wedgies would sort of lessen his commanding presence, too. Don't you think? Of course, he could always have a toadie follow him around to pull out the Sithly wedgie when it happened. Can you imagine THAT poor guy? "And what is your job?"

"Uh, I take care of the Sith Lord's wedgies."

"Oh."

I don't think that would get him the girls. Of course, Vader could be sporting a Speedo under that get up and we'd never know, would we? It would be black, of course! Or maybe bright red...

25. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    How long do the challenges go for? (It's probably already posted somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it.) I may try to write a missing moment Vader/Luke scene if I can make time. It's hard, though, just trying to keep up with weekly installments on my current fic takes up all my writing time.

And as for the underwear question, I think I'll stay far, far away from that one! :p

Kristeh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.