main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin/Vader's diction in the saga.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Eschatos, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eschatos

Eschatos Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2005
    (To my knowledge, there isn't a topic that addresses this issue--if I'm mistaken, forgive me.)
    I posted this query as a rhetorical joke in my application for the non-spoiler forum for Ep. 3, but the question seems to have some merit--I'll put it to you guys. Doesn't the man's diction seem horribly inconsistent in the saga? I can see saying that turning evil can change one's personality . . . but going from having pretty average diction in one trilogy to having a devastating flair for style in the other seems a bit much.

2. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Do not bash Lucas for not thinking out the prequels. It wouldnt make sense for Hayden to talk like Vader, or does he?....

And he does!! And many have not noticed it. Watch aotc again my friends. Hayden is doing a Vader voice. Pay me after you witness it. It starts when they enter the clubmaster.

3. S_W_lover

S_W_lover Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2003
    sarcasm is the lowest form of humor.

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    You do realize that there is a twenty year gap between the PT and OT, right? Anakin Skywalker in the PT is a young man. His speech is likely going to be less formal, more patterned with vernacular and slang. Once he becomes the right hand to empire, his position forces him to mature in the role, and with age, his speech becomes more consistent, elegant, littered with formality and authority. Not to mention that most of the Imperial officers have a distinct accent. As part of the Imperial aristocracy (I use the term loosely) and high command, it's only natural that Anakin's becomes influenced by it.

Physically, his voice has completely changed. Hell, the voice he has in the OT isn't even really his own. It's being modified through an electronic filter to be deeper and more autocratic. Whether biologically or sociopsychologically, speech and diction will change throughout a person's life, especially with aging.

I think Hayden Christensen did a job well enough of creating a similar thread between the two characters. He studied Vader's speech patterns, and if you listen closely enough, you can hear them come out time to time. Best examples? Probably the sports club scene and his fireplace confession of love.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Anakin is a transition character. He is becoming more like Vader within each Prequel film and I have confidence that Hayden is going to pull it off in Revenge of the Sith. Lets all see that movie and then come back to the topic. I don't know how you can judge the transition when we are missing an entire film.

-Seldon

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree with Seldon. To me, Anakin is exactly the way he should be in the PT.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - rest in peace @};-
    /LM

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The point of the prequels is to see the transition. Evil did not begin that way, it began as an innocent child born to a loving mother. What is interesting is to see how that little boy became Vader.

-Seldon

8. Eschatos

Eschatos Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2005
    I think you guys have made some good points. Let me present the following point in order to progress in our dialogue.

If I'm not mistaken, the points made about Anakin's transition to Vader in the OT and his attitude in the PT point towards his lack of patience for the Jedi training's pacing, no? If this is the case, is it logical to assume that Vader would seek to improve himself (as some have suggested), which requires a great deal of patience and persistence?

9. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Yes. He even says in AOTC that someday, he will be the most powerful Jedi ever. He is greedy, because he wants to keep those he loves around him. He wants the power to keep them alive forever.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - rest in peace @};-
    /LM

10. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Not just to keep them alive forever, but to control them in such a way that he won't have to deal with things like separation, death, suffering, etc. Anakin's desire to bring order to the galaxy is really just a manifestation of his inner desire for personal harmony.

11. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    "sarcasm is the lowest form of humor."

If that was directed at me i'll have you know that im dead serious. I started a thread awhile ago in the AOTC boards called "Haydens Vader Voice Mistaken for Bad Acting?".

http://boards.theforce.net/Attack_of_the_Clones/b10001/17278138/?63

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah even Neo can't deny the effort Hayden put into becoming the character. It's obvious that he was mixing Jake Lloyd and James Earl Jones delivery during AOTC.

Once his mother died, he stopped sounding like Jake and only sounded like James Earl Jones.

13. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I think he sounds very much like a child in the confession scene. It fits too, because that's when he sort of returns to his childhood for a while, fixing the shifter and stuff.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.