main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin was my brother (Owen/Obi-wan)!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, May 3, 2016.

1. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    In the spirit of revisions and without bashing or gushing, here is a minor change I think could have been great, I'm sure it coyly have been thought of before:

Owen should have been Anakin's older brother. He should have been Shmi's first son, and he could have added a bit more dramatic tension in episode 1 when Anakin leaves not only his mother but his brother, and there is a tinge of jealousy. (As most people do, I think Obi-wan should also have been the one to discover Anakin.

Most of the plot could have gone the way it did. However, I think the bar some point in episode II, (after Anakin frees the slaves, maybe at the end of the movie) Anakin has settled down on Tatooine with Padme and lives a simple life as a farmer.

However, at the start of III Obi-wan returns to ask Anakin's help to end the clone wars and return peace and justice back to the Galaxy. Owen begs him not to go, but Anakin's sense of duty calls and he goes off. This is the last time Owen sees his brother.

Rest of the prequels can be pretty much the same, but these changes could have helped make a more powerful audience connection with Owen in IV, and add weight to the Obi-wan / Owen / Anakin are brothers dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm sure GL could've gone there and made it as magical as what we got, but I'm content.

AshiusX likes this.
  3. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    I think he wanted to distance Anakin from Owen to make the fact that Obiwan hid Luke with Owen more realistic... If they were close, Owen probably would have been investigated or killed, but in the circumstances, Vader probably never thought about him again.

Also, if he was really attached to Owen, I'm sure steps would have been taken to prevent his death in ANH.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
  5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I think it worked fine how it did. I feel that there was plenty of drama, particularly how she was effectively letting her ONLY son go. Of course loosing any child is an unspeakable horror for any parent, but there is just something about how Shmi was effectively left on Tatooine alone.

Plus I like that they took an unexpected route in making Owen Lukes step uncle, everyone might have thought blood relations, or maybe that Obi-Wans brother thing, but Lucas through a curve ball by making him his step brother. It is also a testament to Owens respect for Shmi at least that he agreed to raise the son of a man he barely knew, that is his step brother and her son.

I think its kind of sweet, and I also like how the old EU (particularly The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi) Portrayed Obi-Wan and Owens growing animosity. I do not feel it was completely necessary in the context of the films which left room to the imagination, but it did offer some fun expansion in that regard.