main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin, you idiot!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SithHappensIII, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithHappensIII

SithHappensIII Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    You know, if Anakin had just put two-and-two together, he would have never turned over to the dark side.

Clearly he was "deceived by a lie". But if someone would just explain to him that Palpatine, a Sith Lord , sided with Count Dooku, the Seperatist leader, to create the war.

The whole assignment to kill all the Seperatist meant nothing. Anakin was so far into his anger and lust for power, that he didnt stop for a moment to realize "Hey, wait a minute, i didnt bring peace to the republic, Sidious was behind the war the whole time!!"

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Love blinded him.

:)

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He knows that Palpatine was behind everything, he just didn't care. All that he cared about was saving Padme. Nothing else mattered.

4. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    In a way, Anakin thought he was using Palpatine to learn his "powers" to save Padme, just as Palpatine was using him to conquer the galaxy. Anakin talked about overthrowing Palpatine to Padme and later to Luke.

5. DARK_HELMET_05

DARK_HELMET_05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    by this time, he had started to make plans of overthrowing palpatine and become emperor himself

6. Darth_Muffins

Darth_Muffins Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    He knew what he was doing was wrong right after he cut off Mace's arms.....the youngling/temple slaughter, seperatist saughter etc. He knew doing all of that was wrong but he was so wanting to save his wife that it corrupted his thinking. It then became a lust for power as the darkside changes you.

Anakin may have a high medichalorian count, but his I.Q. count must be extremly low to think Sidious was not lying to him.

7. SithHappensIII

Jun 13, 2005
    I find that hard to believe..... if he would have come to his senses he would that Palpatine is manipulating him, and therefore choose the right path

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    His focus was saving Padmé. The fact that Palpatine was the Sith Lord didn't seem to deter him much either. He wanted power, and he would stop at nothing to get it.

9. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    It was clear that Anakin knew exactly who and what Palpatine was when he revealed his true nature to him. Anakin wanted to kill him, but by this time the Dark Side was already a temptation. Essentially Sidious said "Yes, I'm the monster responsible for all your problems, but join me and your wife will live." That is all Anakin focused on. Logic and reason went right out the window. The Dark Side isn't about logic, it's about emotions.

10. MySaberStings

MySaberStings Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    Makes you wonder if he did know Palps was on both sides and started the war if years later he questioned the Rebels fighting the Empire wondering if Palps was up to the same thing again.

11. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    his I.Q. count must be extremly low to think Sidious was not lying to him.

I would say his "passions" clouded his better judgement-- his desire to save Padme and his greed to overthrow the Emperor and rule the galaxy as "husband and wife" or "father and son". I don't think it's as simple as saying he had a low I.Q.

12. Darth_Muffins

Darth_Muffins Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    Yup, like I said

Medichalorian count: the highest of any jedi/sith in the galaxy.

I.Q.: the lowest of any living being in the galaxy....even lower than Jar Jar's I.Q.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "He has a black irredeemable heart," McDiarmid says of Palpatine. "There's nothing that can be said about him that's good. When we first saw Vader in the original trilogy we thought he was the heart of darkness, and nobody could be darker. But now we understand what happened to him. And one of the exciting things about seeing this movie is that you can follow Vader through Anakin's journey every step of the way even if you don't agree with the choices he's making. In part his decisions stem from his traumatic childhood, and his impatient lust for power. And it's that which my character takes and then uses again him."

"When you're playing a character of solid blackness, that in itself is very interesting, in the sense that you have no other motivation other than the accumulation of power," McDiarmid continues. "It's not so much about not having a moral center, it's just that the only thing that mattered is increasing power."

--Ian McDirmaid, Homing Beacon interview, 2005.

"This is obviously a very pivotal scene for Anakin because this is reuniting with his mother and his youth and at the same time dealing with his inability to let go of his emotions and allow himself to accept the inevitable. The fact that everything must change and that things come and go through his life and that he can't hold onto things which is a basic Jedi philosophy that he isn't willing to accept emotionally and the reason that is because he was raised by his mother rather than the Jedi. If he'd have been taken in his first year and started to study to be a Jedi, he wouldn't have this particular connection as strong as it is and he'd have been trained to love people but not to become attached to them. But he has become attached to his mother and he will become attached to Padme and these things are, for a Jedi, who needs to have a clear mind and not be influenced by threats to their attachments, a dangerous situation. And it feeds into fear of losing things, which feeds into greed, wanting to keep things, wanting to keep his possessions and things that he should be letting go of. His fear of losing her turns to anger at losing her, which ultimately turns to revenge in wiping out the village. The scene with the Tusken Raiders is the first scene that ultimately takes him on the road to the Dark Side. I mean he's been prepping for this, but that's the one where he's sort of doing something that is completely inappropriate."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

"The scene in the garage here, we begin to see that what he's really upset about is the fact that he's not powerful enough. That if he had more power, he could've kept his mother. He could've saved her and she could've been in his life. That relationship could've stayed there if he'd have been just powerful enough. He's greedy in that he wants to keep his mother around, he's greedy in that he wants to become more powerful in order to control things in order to keep the things around that he wants. There's a lot of connections here with the beginning of him sliding into the Dark Side. And it also shows his jealousy and anger at Obi-Wan and blaming everyone else for his inability to be as powerful as he wants to be, which he hears that he will be, so here he sort of lays out his ambition and you'll see later on his ambition and his dialogue here is the same as Dooku's. He says "I will become more powerful than every Jedi." And you'll hear later on Dooku will say "I have become more powerful than any Jedi." So you're going start to see everybody saying the same thing. And Dooku is kind of the fallen Jedi who was converted to the Dark Side because the other Sith Lord didn't have time to start from scratch, and so we can see that that's where this is going to lead which is that it is possible for a Jedi to be converted. It is possible for a Jedi to want to become more powerful, and control things. Because of that, and because he was unwilling to let go of his mother, because he was so attached to her, he committed this terrible revenge on the Tusken Raiders."

--George Luca

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Anakin had Palpatine in his sights - a lightsaber to his throat - and all he had to do was kill him. Palpatine really was defenseless. But NOOOOO, he had to go tell Mace.

15. Tachikoma-Kun

Tachikoma-Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2005
    *chokes on Lucas quotes* :p

I agree, Anakin is slow. He never even asked how Palpatine knew about sith stories..The one about Plague...Plagie...err.. Darth Difficultname. I mean howcome a politician is intrested about sith lords? But then again, all the Jedi seemed pretty clueless throughout the PT.

16. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Anakin could have been beaten over the head with a 'Palps is
    an evil Sith Lord' stick and it wouldn't have made any difference.
    His [first] motive was to save Padme even if it meant turning to
    the darkside and serving Sids.

17. Obi-Twice-Kenobi

Obi-Twice-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2003
    Anakin had the force potential of a half-god combined with the IQ of a noodle. That's why he was so dangerous. But everyone knew that since about 6 years, so what's the news?

18. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm wondering how long it's going to take everyone on this board to have all sinister's quotes memorized... if only we could be so lucky.

"It's about a good boy who was loving and had exceptional powers, but how that eventually corrupted him and how he confused possessive love with compassionate love. That happens in Episode II: Regardless of how his mother died, Jedis are not supposed to take vengeance. And that's why they say he was too old to be a Jedi, because he made his emotional connections. His undoing is that he loveth too much."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine Interview, June 2005.

This is the key I think. Love has completely blinded Anakin, he no longer sees reason or logic. He knows who Palps is, but the only thing he can focus on is Padme. The dark side has given him tunnel vision... but yet Lucas clearly shows that Anakin doesn't like having to do what Palpatine wants, he sets about his tasks with a grim determination and even cries over what he's done. So somewhere in there, as Lucas says, the good part of him is screaming "What am I doing?"

19. SithHappensIII

Jun 13, 2005
    I mean come on!! The fate of the galaxy is on the line!!!

20. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Jeez RebelScum is cleaning up this place

21. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    SithHappensIII posted on 6/22/05 11:21am
    I mean come on!! The fate of the galaxy is on the line!!!
    [hr][/blockquote] So was the fate of the one he loved the most. To him, the needs of one outweighed the needs of many.

22. SithHappensIII

Jun 13, 2005
    Which brings me to another question:

Did Anakin really buy that JEDI REBELLION nonsense?

23. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "Did Anakin really buy that JEDI REBELLION nonsense?"

If it fed into his rationale [or lack thereof] at the time,
    why not. It allowed him to justify his actions that he had been
    feeling so conflicted about.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

25. RedKitten

RedKitten Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2005
    well if you look at it the Jedi did want to kill him so in a way it was a rebellion, from a certain point a veiw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.