main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by andrewjvb, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I really dislike how people tend to describe Anakin in this fashion... age is besides the point here...Anakin was just out of his teens in AOTC...So what? people whine and complain all the time...its just that Anakin its magnified by situation as well as baggage which I can totally relate to and I turned 25 last Monday. I believe OW to be an arrogant ass throughout the PT, yet Anakin gets the heat for his....I just believe Anakin wasn't expected to me HUMAN at all! Btw, this is not intended directly at you anakinfansince1983.

As for Leonardo DiCaprio I believe he would have done well: his lasts scenes with his wifes in Revolutionary Road andI nception kill me every time...:_| though he may looked too macho as a Jedi which would upset me big time since Ani isn't intended to be... which is another reason I love Hayden.

Arawn_Fenn and Samnz like this.
  2. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Neither the actor nor the writing "hurt" Anakin since Anakin is the writing and the actor portrayed it.
    The writing perhaps hurt your own theoretical imagination of "Anakin", but that's a whole different thing.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  3. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I'm pretty certain that these types of threads aren't allowed in the PT

------

eh?

4. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I really hate topics like these. Especially since it's yet another thread in which Kilroy gets to try and bash on the prequels. We get it, you don't like them. Move on. How many times, and in how many ways, can you illustrate that very thing?

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It might be best not to read them then.

As for Phoniex, of course he would be a better actor than Hayden for the role I dunno how that could even be a question.

To be fair to Hayden and he is not entirley blameless either (see his Mustafar Lines urghh), he did suffer from several handicaps though:

1) Not being in TPM. Hurt both him and the charachter having a 9yr old and a Jake Lloyd 9yr old at that insetad of using him and having Anakin a bit older as it was originaly going to be. Compare that to Luke, just imagine if we had a child actor for ANH and Hamil only showed up in ESB it would hurt him too.
    2) He did most of his scenes with Portman, who he had no chemistry with whatsoever and who just stood around with a bored look on her face. Its a shame as he had good chemistry with Ewan and played off him better, but sadly they never really got many scenes together.
    3) Dialouge, don't care how good an actor you are, lines about sand and how its all Obi-wans fault are gonna be hard to deliver
    4) Writing, again no matter how good an actor is you will not be able to generate sympathy for a child killer. Lucas forgot that a tragic hero has to be a hero first in order to feel for him when he falls.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Nope it was not my imagination but what was talked about in the OT. A great and powerful Jedi who was tragically seduced to the darkside, Or as Obi-wan tells it "the good man who was your father was destroyed". Then there was the great friendship with Obi-wan with even Vader telling Luke that "Obi-wan once thought as you do" Or Yoda describing him as a powerful Jedi.

Sadly we never got any of that in the PT.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We never saw it in the PT? How about the fact that he's willing to risk his own life to help strangers that he just met, or helping to free a planet from occupation, or saving Obi-Wan's life after he recklessly jumps out a 100 story window, or going to save his friends life after being told to stay on Tatooine by the Jedi Council (and yes I know he had to be convinced but to me it's obvious that he's doubting himself at that moment), or how he saves Obi-Wan's life again on the Invisible Hand even though he risks his own life in doing so. There are plenty of moments in the PT where Anakin is shown to be heroic even foolishly heroic like when he charges Count Dooku to avenge the deaths of all his Jedi brethren. Just because he has flaws does not mean he is not heroic. Anakin has many flaws but IMO that's what makes him interesting and ultimately makes him a tragic hero.

Also, I don't see how Anakin is not portrayed as powerful in the PT. He does defeat Count Dooku single-handedly after Obi-Wan is knocked out. However, this notion that some held before the PT was released that Anakin was some wise and perfect Jedi Knight is simply not supported by anything Obi-Wan or Yoda says in the OT. In ANH Obi-Wan describes Luke's father as, "the best star-pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior." Where in the PT is this contradicted? He also describes Vader as a young Jedi and again the PT shows this. In TESB Yoda says that Luke's father was a powerful Jedi but he also says that Luke has alot of anger in him just like his father did. In ROTJ Obi-Wan says, "Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed." Again I don't see how this is contradicted in the PT. Anakin is shown multiple times in the PT to be a good but ultimately flawed person. Now, you are certainly allowed to have your own opinion on how Anakin is portrayed in the PT, all I'm trying to say is that nothing Anakin does in the PT contradicts what Obi-Wan says about him the OT.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly, Darth Chiznuk.

And I'm pretty sure we weren't supposed to sympathize with Anakin when he was drawing his saber on those younglings during Operation Knightfall, or any other time after the ruminations scene in ROTS for that matter.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Absolutely we're not. I think those scenes are there to illustrate the depths to which Anakin has fallen. As Obi-Wan puts it, "You've become the very thing you swore to defeat."

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.