main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's acceptance of death

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ulicus , Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Anakin: Luke... help me take... this mask off...
    Luke: But you'll die.
    Anakin: Nothing can stop that now.

Apologies if this has already been commented on, but does anyone else feel that this exchange between Anakin and his son before he dies has become far more significant since they've seen the Prequel Trilogy?

I know that there are many who disagree with the way in which Lucas handled Anakin's character in the Prequel Trilogy - but I think that by giving Anakin an obsession with stopping death, it's made the (near) final words of the Chosen One much more fitting in terms of the arc of Anakin's character.

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    His main goal in the prequels was to stop death...

However, he realized that immortality was impossible, and that death is a natural part of life. So yes, I think the scene definitely has a lot more meaning now.

3. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    His main goal was to save Padmé from death. Once she died, mortality likely became less of a concern to him.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    It's nothing I ever noticed. I like it.

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Excellent point, Ulicus. I never thought of it that way before.

6. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    "When ya gotta go, ya gotta go," they say. Also applies to potty stops.

7. delwyn_sermosa

delwyn_sermosa Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, when I first saw that I thought that "nothing can stop that now" just meant he was accepting that he was just too hurt to go on.
    Maybe when he came back to the light side he saw that "there is no death, there is the Force"
    Or maybe I've been playing KOTOR too much lately [face_plain]

8. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I suppose even as a Sith Lord, Vader had matured. Vader is not as naive and stupid as he once was when he was much younger. He couldn't accept Luke's death either, so he risked his own life for that purpose. So eventually it's fitting that he finally embraces the idea that death is a natural part of life, as a wise Jedi Master once told him.

9. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Had'nt thought of it like that. Very insightful. That line will mean more than it did for me. =D=

10. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Nice theory. Like it alot.

11. DarthJiangWei

DarthJiangWei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    Remember the prophecy. Anakin would destroy the Sith. He was a Sith so he HAD to die for the prophecy to be fulfilled. I believe that is what made him accept death, the fact that he was the chosen and what the propechy's said he'd do.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Anakin destroyed the Sith Apprentice shortly before (or just when) he picked up the Emperor. ;)

13. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Amen to that. And the posed question that started this thread.

14. RED-SKY_05

RED-SKY_05 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2005

That and "immortality" is when your children carry on a little part of you, even after you're gone. Anakin's time was up. He risked what was left of his "life" to save his son, destroy the Sith, and do the right thing for once, thus redeeming.

15. Golwen

Golwen Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    For the first time since probably around TPM Anakin did something that was totally unselfish. His love for Padme was selfish and he would betray everything he believed in and everyone he loved to save her but in saving Luke's life he consciously and deliberately sacrifices his. AS soon as he reached over for Palpatine, he knows that he's going to die.

16. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    He did stop death, he stopped Luke from being killed by Palpatine. Vader began to die as a result of also being electricuted by Palpatine. So in a sence Anakins prophecy was two fold, one was the prophecy of bringing balance to the force by destroying the Sith. The second was a self fulfilling prophecy of stopping people from dying. He sacrificed himself to save his son, Luke.

17. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    This is a really great observation. Why didn't I think of that? :)

Forget that, the intial poster's thoughts were insightful

18. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    Good point.

19. Conantheking

Conantheking Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2005
    I love what you pointed out there, really I do. There is more depth to that line now, and I belive that is why him, Obi Wan and Yoda vanished after death, they were ready to accept death and become one with the force.

20. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i think that he realised that he was gonna die wether he liked it or not so he simply accepted it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.