main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakins "cave"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Sloth, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sloth

Darth_Sloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2002
    In ESB, Luke had his vision in the cave, of his face in vaders mask. with all the parallels between the OT and PT, I'm trying to rem if Anakin has had a similar experience.

2. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    The cave represents the place of your fears. Luke encountered his fear Vader (this is because he saw how Vader killed Obi-Wan). Also the cave is everything one takes along. Remember in ESB:

LUKE: There's something not right here.

Yoda sits on a large root, poking his Gimer Stick into the dirt.

LUKE: I feel cold, death.

YODA: That place...is strong with the dark side of the Force. A domain of evil it is. In you must go.

LUKE: What's in there?

YODA: Only what you take with you.

Luke looks warily between the tree and Yoda. He starts to strap on his weapon belt.

YODA: Your weapons...you will not need them.

Luke gives the tree a long look, than shakes his head "no." Yoda shrugs. Luke reaches up to brush aside some hanging vines and enters the tree.

Luke took weapons, he encountered danger (Vader). He was in fear, he encountered his fear (Vader).

So as a conclusion Anakin's cave could be the scene in AOTC when he looses his mother. His was affraid of losing his mother, and he lost her. But he couldn't handle it probebly so he got angry, like Luke couldn't handle his fear by striking Vader down just to see that he striked himself.

Luke moves into the almost total darkness of the wet and slimy cave. The youth can barely make out the edge of the passage. Holding his lit saber before him, he sees a lizard crawling up the side of the cave and a snake wrapped around the branches of a tree. Luke draws a deep breath, then pushes deeper into the cave. The space widens around him, but he feels that rather than sees it. His sword casts the only light as he peers into the darkness. It is very quiet here. Then, a loud hiss! Darth Vader appears across the blackness, illuminated by his own just-ignited laser sword. Immediately, he charges Luke, saber held high. He is upon the youth in seconds, but Luke sidesteps perfectly and slashes at Vader with his sword.

Vader is decapitated. His helmet-encased head flies from his shoulders as his body disappears into the darkness. The metallic banging of the helmet fills the cave as Vader's head spins and bounces, smashes on the floor, and finally stops. For an instant it rests on the floor, then it cracks vertically. The black helmet and breath mask fall away to reveal...Luke's head. Across the space, the standing Luke gasps at the sight, wide-eyed in terror.

The decapitated head fades away, as in a vision.

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree with Weirdo; Anakin´s cave experience is on Tatooine, when he goes to find his mother. Just like Luke, he fails the trial by choosing to avenge his mother´s death by giving in to hate.

4. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    But Luke learned about his mistake and didn't give in to anger when once again was forced to face his fear (Palpatine after dueling Vader). Anakin will fail in this, and the future will tell how it's going to happen. But one thing is for sure: Anakin can't tell the difference between good and evil in EpIII, as Luke could in ROTJ. But Anakin will know the difference in the end of ROTJ as we all know.

LUKE: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

YODA: You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Anakin never had a cave. That is why he turned to the Dark side.

Luke saw in his cave that if he continued, he could become Vader also, hence Luke's face inside the mask of Vader. So then Luke knew he must stay true to good and to the Jedi.

Anakin is turned and has no cave.

Seldon

6. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Uh-uh. Anakin knew what he had done:

- I´m a Jedi. I know I´m better than this!

He was fully aware that what he had done was wrong. That´s why he was so upset when he made his confession to Padmé. He could barely put the words in his mouth!
    In EpIII, I believe he will be more in control of himself, much like Luke in ROTJ. In the end, though, there will be nothing to stop him from turning, unlike Luke, who was stopped by Vader´s cut-off hand, because it reminded him where he was heading.

EDIT: Anakin didn´t have a Jedi Master present, though, which probably makes matters a bit more complicated for him than they are for Luke. It also seems unlikely that he told Obi-Wan afterwards what had happened.

7. Darth_Weirdo

Jul 2, 2002
    Yes, that's true but Anakin couldn't put away his feelings of Padme when Padme fell from the gunship while chasing Dooku. Obi-Wan barely got Anakin back to his senses, if Obi-Wan wouldn't have been aboard Anakin would have stopped the chase and saved Padme without knowing was it the right thing to do? Anakin failed controlling his feelings when he lost his mother, he almost let Dooku escape too easily and he attacked Dooku with anger/hesitation in his heart.

8. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    That´s true. However, this all occured within a very short period of time. EpIII will take place a few years later.
    We´ll have to wait and see, but remember that Luke was just as out of control in TESB as Anakin in AOTC.

9. hirogunkenobi

hirogunkenobi Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2003
    i think i would agree on that comment about anakin having a similar moment to his son luke,come to think of it do any of you guys know if there is a similaraty to john williams two cues which is THE MAGIC TREE from ESB and THE TUSKEN CAMP AND THE HOMESTEAD from AOTC compare to the scenes of luke comfronting the fake darth vader on dagobah and anakin comfronting the tusken raiders on tatooine after his mother died, not to be rude getting off topic or anything im just curious if you guys know this question thank you

10. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I think the Tusken slaughter was Anakin's "cave." It was the moment he was given a test of his will before his confrontation with a Sith lord and he failed it, like Luke did.

Both Yoda and Padme played their respective roles in showing Anakin and Luke that they can overcome their failures.

Unfortunately, Anakin had too much negativity in him and put the weight of his problems on Obi-Wan, whereas Luke handled it responsibly and put the weight of his problems on himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.