main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakins Destiny

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Evil_Billaba, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil_Billaba

Evil_Billaba Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    If balance meant killing the SITH off why does the emperor keep coming back in EU???Since he keeps coming back doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of Anakins destiny???

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    If I could decipher the meaning of your post, I'd answer. Please elaborate.

Edit: That's a bit better.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think you just pointed out why some people dislike the EU. ROTJ loses that sense of closure due to the Emperor coming back continuously.

Now to answer the question, I think Anakin's destiny was fulfilled in ROTJ when he wiped out the Sith completely by killing Palpatine.

4. Darth_Tate

Darth_Tate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2003
    Word of advice

Don't believe the EU because it's not George Lucas work. It's a continuation from ROTJ that is written by different people. I don't go by the EU, I just see ROTJ as the end, kind of like the end of a life.

5. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Just because the EU is not GL's direct work doesn't mean it is any less Star Wars. He had co-writers for the screenplays, so they're not "purely" his work.

6. Evil_Billaba

Nov 9, 2001
    Personally i go off the movies too.... I feel tht once Anakin killed Emperor that was IT PERIOd no more SITH EVER....i just wanted to see if others felt this way.

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Let's not turn this thread into an EU vs. Purist debate.

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, considering GL liked the story of the Dark Empire series so well that he bought a bunch of the LFL employess of a copy of it for Christmas the year it came out, I don't think there's too much to complain about...

9. Evil_Billaba

Nov 9, 2001
    no debate intended I just wanna know why they would defeat Anakins purpose of living?

10. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I think you just pointed out why some people dislike the EU. ROTJ loses that sense of closure due to the Emperor coming back continuously.

Now to answer the question, I think Anakin's destiny was fulfilled in ROTJ when he wiped out the Sith completely by killing Palpatine.

He did fulfill his destiny, he insured the survival of the jedi. Even when Anakin showed up in episode 1 to the council they were sure the sith were back. The jedi didnt know that the sith had returned so when anakin was there and they talked of the prophesy for all we know the prophesy said that the chosen one would save the jedi. It didnt necisarily say from what.

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Because by then Luke had come into his own and could fight that sort of evil without Anakin.

Rick McCallum loves EU!

12. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    It wasn't defeating the purpose, IMO. I think it'd be foolish to think that "balance to the Force" would last forever, and only by Anakin's bringing balance did it set up the pattern that once the Force gets out of balance it'll quickly return to balance again. The story shows that Anakin set it up so that it is destined for balance to be returned to the Force, and no matter what it'll happen. (for a long time, anyway)

13. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    I think that having bring back palpatine made for an interesting series because it fits in well with the movies. The fact that Anakin killed palpatine showed that he himself was at balance and since he was at balance the force was at balance because in a sense he is the force.

14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "I think that having bring back palpatine made for an interesting series"

Too bad it also gave rise to the ****ing "Cloner hunch", too. :(

15. DarthDork

DarthDork Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    Were the copies of Dark Empire used in place of a Christmas bonus? Or were they just a nice stocking stuffer?

16. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    "Frankly, I always felt that allowing the Emperor to come back-even via a clone-was a mistake"
    Sue Rostoni (Managing Editor, Lucasfilm Licensing Ltd) said this in issue #66 of Star Wars Insider

My only comment on this would be that while not the best idea, is it not logical to assume that Palpatine would use every/any means necessary to ensure HIS survival. If the spirit of some jedi can survive (Obi-Wan/Yoda/Anakin) is it not possible that the Sith have ways of preserving their life-force after death? However, while a jedi would respect the inevitability of death...a Sith would use any dark power to ensure they live. Palpatine used clones to assume the throne...why not keep it around as a backup plan?

Of course cloning yourself to avoid losing power/death is a bad idea...that doesn't mean a Sith wouldn't try it!

17. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    It was his destiny to turn to the Darkside because he was the only person who could be around Palpatine when no one else is around.

18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Like he was in AOTC? ?[face_plain]

19. Darth_Tate

Darth_Tate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2003
    That's not what I meant.

I just mean that George Lucas is the founder of Star Wars and even though he had co-writers for the films, he was still the brains of the operation, and always will be. And he didn't have a hand in writing the EV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.