main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

anakins dream of freeing the slaves came true with luke!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I just noticed that in an ANH Biggs deleted scene, he refers to the prospect of Owen "slaving for the greater glory of the Empire". :eek:

2. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    He doesn't say he was daydreaming.

I think the important thing here is not to put words into the character's mouths.

Anakin and the other characters for whatever reasons receive images of the future, the past, and other places.

Do they not?

When Anakin had his dream, not daydream, of becoming a Jedi and freeing all the slaves it was a dream of the future. However, it was only a possible future because the thing is: "Always in motion is the future." That possible future ended before it ever began because the Jedi don't care about slaves on Tatooine.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Dreaming isn't restricted to Force-sensitives. Muggles have dreams too.

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Yes, but dreams that come true -- or that might possibly come true -- are reserved for visionaries, prophets... and Jedi. That is the topic of discussion here, not "daydreams" as YYZ suggested, nor ordinary non-prophetic dreams.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    :confused: Dreams that "might possibly come true" cannot be reserved for visionaries or Jedi. We all have dreams that "might possibly come true".

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Many people have had dreams which have come true. I have, and I'm no visionary or prophet (as far as I know). It's not uncommon in human experience.

7. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    The slaves were never dealt with and I always pictured he would free them. I also think it would have made AOTC darker if Anakin had killed Watto once he found out where Shmi was and then came out to see and Padme:

Padme: Did you find out where your mother went?

Anakin: He told us he sold her to the Lars homestead it's a little past Anchorhead. Let's go.

Padme: Where's Watto I thought he had work out here?

Anakin: I don't think he'll be back soon. I had to tell him about something that needed correcting. C'mon.

8. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    This theme of prophetic dreams is not exclusive to the PT. In the OT, Luke describes Dagobah as something out of dream. And if we want to take Lucas at his word, he says on "The Empire Strikes Back" commentary that he planted dialogue in the OT that would not be fully understood until the PT was made.

Anakin's dream in "The Phantom Menace" was a vision of the future and not a child's fantasy. Lucas just didn't flesh the dream out in the movie so whether or not the dream is a prophetic vision or not is left up to the individual to interpret either way; however, the dream is fleshed out, to a degree, in the novelization. There is also dialogue from "The Phantom Menace" screenplay where Anakin speaks to Padme about another dream where he saw her lead an army into battle and of course we see that happen, but that dialogue was left out of the movie.

If Anakin didn't have prophetic dreams in the 2 follow up movies then I would say it was just a child's fantasy but the episodes are meant to be viewed as 1 movie and Anakin's dream in "The Phantom Menace" was just the first of three prophetic dreams that he speaks of throughout the PT.

9. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    i would believe that becouse i never understood why in TESB vader tortured han solo for no reason but then i found out that it was for a good reason becouse vader knew from what happened with his mother that luke would feel the pain of his friends and come looking for them. Its little things like this that are a good example of how GL set up things in the OT that we wouldn't truly understand until the PT.

10. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Sometimes a dream is just a dream. Yes he had a dream of freeing all the slaves, but kids often daydream through their dreams. It is part of their youth and playful spirits. Maybe the dream was a vision, but considering the Jedi didn't allow him to go to Tatooine (or anywhere else for that matter) except on Republic business, it seems plain that once he accepted his life as a Jedi (since Tatooine was not part of the Republic), that dream was lost. I think it's nothing more than Anakin's vision of who he wants to be.

I mean as a child I once had a dream I saved the entire planet by crashing my own space ship into a meteor headed for earth. Just because I dreamed it doesn't mean it has to be some kind of vision. It was simply my own imagination menefesting itself in my dream. Besides, Anakin may not have been attuned to the force enough to see the future at that time in his life. And in both the cases of Anakin as well as Luke; the future they saw pertains to what they feared to lose. The dream he had as a child was an optimistic vision of what he had experienced at the time.

11. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007

Yea but it wasn't a day dream it was a real dream, and the reason why i think it meant something is becouse its anakin, when Lucas wrights in a dream for him it ALWAYS means something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.