main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakins Father

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by TONYYGFUHJ, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I agree totally with Young_Padme. ani has no father[/color]

2. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    I think some of these people missed The Phantom Menace. Qui-gon said that he had discovered a virgance in the force. The prophecy obviously states that the chosen one will be born in such a manner. Other wise Mace and all the other council members wouldn't have brought up the subject after Qui-gon's statement.

"The chosen one the boy may be."

I love every Star Wars movie. But something like this could definately ruin the story.

3. Karate_Kid

Karate_Kid Jedi Master

Jul 13, 2002
    I have been reading through some of these Anakin's Father threads and some of the theories are very good. From Dooku to Darth Sidious to Qui Gon. People have come up with some very compelling arguments as to why any of these could be. On the other hand, the people that don't think that Anakin has a father don't have very good supporting reasons.

They usually go something like this: It's already been done before. Using the same plot twist would be lame. It would ruin the story. It would confuse kids. It would be silly. And so on. In fact, people that defend the immaculate conception theory get very angry when this subject is even brought up. My guess is that these people just don't want Anakin to have a father. They are afraid that this plot twist will ruin their perfect little image of what the SW saga should be. As for me, it doesn't matter if he does or doesn't.

But I do have my own opinion. As mentioned before, I think that Sidious used the Force to conceive Anakin. That would mean that he would still have been a virgin birth, thus satisfying the prophecy. The Emperor always says that everything is going according to plan. I think that Anakin has always been apart of that plan. I think that he used the force to impregnate Schmi, knowing that the Jedi would find him and train him. Why did he do this? To destroy the Jedi. He knew that he could not destroy the Jedi by himself so he needed someone on the inside to do it. It had to have been a child also because the Jedi wouldn't have trusted any one any older. They Almost didn't take Anakin because of his age.

4. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I think the reason people get angry is because the truth about Anakin's "father" is right there, yet, people continue to debate it for whatever reason.
    I think these people just want Anakin to have a father.

He does. It's a midichlorian. And it's name is Bill. :)

George said Anakin was concieved by the midichlorians. A few weeks before TPM opened, Leonard Maltin interviewed Lucas and posed a question to him that a fan sent in to ET. It asked if we'd learn who Anakin's father is in the new movie. George said Anakin's origins are complicated but it will be revealed in Episode I.

That's enough for me.

5. Keyan_Stele

Keyan_Stele Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    This thread is almost hopeless to ponder.
    I'm voting for no father. I'm not going to go into it at length.
    The "fatherly" scene between Palpy and Anakin is because Palpy is manipulating Anakin. Palpy probably knows that Anakin didn't have a father and so he's competing against the Obi-wan father figure. He sees taht Anakin sometimes Obi-wan does things that upset Anakin, like enforce Jedi rules. Palpy always reassures and tries to stroke Anakin's ego because he's the master manipulator. There's nothing more to it than that.
    Thus, there already is a tug of war going on between two father figure characters in these new films. Palpatine vs. Obi-wan. Anakin must choose. In the prequels, he chooses Palpatine.
    In the Original Trilogy, Luke had the lasting influence of Obi-wan as a father-figure after Owen's death. Obi-wan was seemingly nice compared to his seemingly gruff uncle. Eventually, Luke comes up against the formerly victorious master manipulator (Palpatine) and must choose between all he's learned from the good father figures of Ben, Owen, and Yoda, vs. the other father figure...Vader. Luke chooses to adhere to principles of the good guys by being defensive and not attacking the whole time (until his sister is mentioned...dang love for getting in the way anyway).

Then, there's Dooku. He's not a father figure for Anakin at all. That's gibberish and makes me wonder at the intellect of some. Dooku is clearly a replacement father figure for Obi-wan and is not involved in a fatherly way for Anakin at all. Probably, eventually, Anakin and Dooku will have a nice brotherly duel and Anakin will strike him down as part of his journey to the dark side. That's far more likely to me in my *opinion* than any of this extensive blood line conjencture I've read in this thread.

6. Project_Starscream

Project_Starscream Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 7, 2001
  7. sea_trooper

sea_trooper Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2003
    Methinks Dooku is Anakins father. Just look at it!

8. Lady_Banshee

Lady_Banshee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2003
    Methinks Dooku is Anakins father. Just look at it!

Hate to disagree with you on this one, ST, but... Please no! I HATE Dooku. He's about the only Star Wars character that I don't sympathize with AT ALL. Please don't let him be Anakin's father!
    Not like that's really any basis for why he wouldn't be Anakin's father, but I just had to say that.

9. SuperYoda_Jedi-eater

SuperYoda_Jedi-eater Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2003
    Hi fellow jedi's! I am new to the forums so please be nice!?! I think that after alot of study I can tell you that Anakin's father is really Jar Jar Binks. How do I know this is true. Remember in episode 1 when Anakin told him to stay away from the pod racer and then Jar Jar got shocked and said "I can't feel my tongue". Wasn't that funny?

10. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I agree with karate_kid. Sidious in a way is his father, sidious used the force to concieve anakin. either that or there is no father, dooku is out of the question. super yoda jedi eater makes a good point too though! that part was hilarious!

11. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    Anakin isn't the son Palpatine,according to the EU Palpatine's son is named Triclops and Palpatine being Anakin's father is too stupid.

12. THE_DARKNESS_WITHIN

THE_DARKNESS_WITHIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    Dudes... all I know is Tyranus felt very "uncomfortable" after slicing off Anakin's arm.

Also Tyranus probably left the Jedi Order around the same time as Anakin was conceived.

13. Boss1

Boss1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2003
    That would be kind of freaky right? The whole conceived by midiclorians things has always been a weak link for me... But what if Palpy ultamite plan is to bare a son that is spawn from pure evil... Then hide him on a planet outside of the system then have him join him at his side when he was old enough... just like Vader invited Luke.. But the light side of the force thru Palpy a curve ball when Qui Gon Jin found him first.
    Thus setting Palpy's plans back a few years.

That would help explain Luke's power with the force, The force runs strong in their family. Palpy, Anakin, Luke/leia, leia twin(EU reference)

That twist would knock the collective socks off of star wars fan everywhere... Anakin I AM Your Father! No, Thats not true,
    Thus the circle is truely complete!!!!!

Just at Crazt thought tell me what you think, give me some feed back!

14. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Also Tyranus probably left the Jedi Order around the same time as Anakin was conceived.

I've always been under the impression that Dooku left the Jedi Order shortly after Qui-Gon's death, with Q-G's death kind of being the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. He was pissed at the Jedi Council for not being more on top of things, and this is what made him susceptible to Sidious pulling him into the Darkside.

15. Kit-Fisto7BA

Mar 21, 2003
    Tyranus looked like he felt bad cutting off Anakin's arm because he still has a good side,like Darth Vader,every sith lord does.

16. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Duder. If you watch TPM Shmi actually says "there was no father" so I think that wraps it up. Oh by the way have you all checked out that COOL Batman: DEAD END film.How ultra was that! Why are studios affraid to make those type of films. AvP is going to be set in ANTARCTICA instead of outer space. Duh! sounds lame if you ask me.

"I'll drive!"

17. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Ey??? I very much doubt Darth Maul and Darth Sidious had good sides.

18. Kit-Fisto7BA

Mar 21, 2003
    Oh,come on!It seems like Darth Maul was always telling himself "I'm not evil,I'm not evil."

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    hmm....yet he was still going to kill both Obi-Wan and Anakin before Yoda interfered "for the last time."

I think it's gotta be either Force-inspired birth or else Sidious must be involved somehow.

I really can't see Dooku being the father...

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    In a cut line from TPM, Shmi says "There was no father, that I know of" before she talks about how she raised Anakin on her own. Think on that.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. Karate_Kid

Karate_Kid Jedi Master

Jul 13, 2002
    Come on people. Anakin has no father. Schmi said it. Lucas himself even said it and we know we can trust him. I mean Lucas would never say one thing and then turn around and say the the complete opposite, right? Well, I guess there was that one time that he said that the Dark Side wasn't stronger than Light side. And then there was that time that he said that Darth Vader killed Luke's dad, and when Obi Wan said that Anakin was already a great pilot when he met him, and then there was that time...

22. TheWord

TheWord Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    This has been beaten into the ground in the Spoilers forum. Anakin was conceived by the midichlorians according the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force. Lucas has stated this numerous times. Neither Palpatine nor Dooku is Anakin's father. There isn't even a way to make that make any sense.

anakin's father figure IS palpatine. in aotc. watch for it. the way they act together.

just like ob1 was luke's father figure.

Wow, that's way off. Anakin's father figure is Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Obi-Wan: Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me.
    Anakin: Master, don't say that. Your the closest thing I've ever had to a father.

Or when Anakin is talking to Padme in the ship on Tatooine:
    Anakin: He's like a father to me.

Luke's father figure is Owen Lars. There is no disputing this. He lived under the strict discipline of Owen and only tangentially knew Obi-Wan, and only for a short period at that. Besides, Luke doesn't need a "father figure" the way Anakin does because Luke has a father. Anakin has no father.

From the OS Databank:
    A loving, soft-spoken woman, Shmi Skywalker was determined to provide a better future for her only son, Anakin, than their lives as slaves could possibly offer. She knew her son was special -- despite their hardship, Anakin was selfless, kind and gifted. His birth was extraordinary -- there was no father. Some have speculated that it was the will of the Force that created Anakin in Shmi's womb. This would suggest that Anakin is the one spoken of in an ancient Jedi prophecy -- the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force.

23. TheWord

TheWord Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, I guess there was that one time that he said that the Dark Side wasn't stronger than Light side. And then there was that time that he said that Darth Vader killed Luke's dad, and when Obi Wan said that Anakin was already a great pilot when he met him, and then there was that time...

OK, ready for this?

1. Well, I guess there was that one time that he said that the Dark Side wasn't stronger than Light side.

Luke: Is the Dark Side stronger?
    Yoda: No. Only more seductive

Nothing runs contrary to this statement so far. Even so, Yoda was reassuring Luke.

2.And then there was that time that he said that Darth Vader killed Luke's dad

Um... anyone can tell that Obi-Wan is lying with a purpose here. Not really comparible to Shmi being like, "Yes, when I was a young slave on this Outer Rim system, I slept with a Sith Lord who had a taste for slave p@$#*.

3. and when Obi Wan said that Anakin was already a great pilot when he met him

Um, what? Anakin is the only human being in the entire universe who can pilot a pod racer. He also manages to figure out the controls on a N-1 Starfighter and avoid his own demise after being in it for about 5-10 mins. I don't know about you, but when I was 10, I wasn't racing at 500 mph or flying airplanes. Give me a break.

24. Karate_Kid

Karate_Kid Jedi Master

Jul 13, 2002
    If you listen to the audio commentary on the AOTC DVD, Lucas actually states that the Dark Side is stronger, thus contradicting what Yoda said and what SW fans have believed for years.

You also admit that Obi-Wan was lying to Luke when he said that Darth Vader killed his father, which only proves my point that Lucas will say something either directly or through one of his characters, and then later make the complete opposite true. Thanks.

Also I hardly think that being a pod racer hardly qualifies someone as being a good "pilot". In ROTJ when Obi-Wan tells Luke that Anakin was already a great pilot when he met him, there is a certain Connotation in his voice that implies that he was a fighter pilot and not something as trivial as a pod racer. It's like calling a Go Kart driver a great racer. It's just silly. There was admiration in Obi's voice as he described Anakin's piloting skills while in reallity he had disdain for Anakin when he met him in TPM. He even went so far as to call him a pathetic life form. So I think that there is definitely a discrepency between how Lucas originally intended their relationship to be and how it later ended up on screen.

My overall point is that we can not be sure whether or not Anakin has a father based on the past track record of Lucas contradicting himself and even completely rewriting scenes like having Greedo shoot first. It's very well possible that Anakin doesn't have a father after all, but we won't know for sure until EP3 is released and we see for ourselves. People who aren't even open to the possibility of Anakin having a father are just being narrow minded.

There is further evidence of reason to be skeptical about Anakin's origins even from the Databank excerpt that you posted earlier.

"Some have speculated that it was the will of the Force that created Anakin in Shmi's womb. This would suggest that Anakin is the one spoken of in an ancient Jedi prophecy -- the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force."

There is nothing "concrete" about this statement. It uses fluid terms like "some have speculated" and "this would suggest" meaning that even what is being stated isn't known fact. It's only what certain people believe, and while in the end it may end up being true, it is not yet hard fact.

25. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    If the words "I am your father" are said in III I will jump out of my seat, march up to the film room, rip the film straight off the role and pee on it. Then proceed to the front for my money back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.