main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's fear of death

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Alpha-Red, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I was looking over a few quotes on IMDB for Attack of the Clones, and I realized how calm Anakin was about going into the arena. I'm pretty sure he knew that he and Padme were probably going to die, but he doesn't seem bothered by it one bit. However, fast forward to ROTS and he decides to destroy the entire Jedi Order in an attempt to save her. Now it's probably true that he changed over the course of the war, but it still seems pretty sketchy...

2. sith-lord-dore

sith-lord-dore Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    The reason i think he did it was because of the dreams he was having about padme and the unborn baby. So i feel that he didn't want to lose her and quite possibly his offspring because he wasn't sure if they died as well.

3. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Anakin's confident in his abilities in combat, as long as it's droids shooting at Padme - he's confident that he can deflect it.

It's causes of death that he has no control over that scare the crap out of him - when he holds his mother but she still dies, when Padme dies in childbirth etc etc. Also, i'd say he's not nearly as attached to Padme at this point then he is in RotS.

4. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i don't think it has anything to do with being sketchy, either.

it's the lack of control, as obi frans says. and also the cause for her death is nothing he is certain and nothing he can just fight with a light sabre.

dying in combat is much different from dying from a sickness. it can scare you much more to not properly being able to discern the cause but rather having to fight some unknown enemy. a lot of people are less scared of obviously dangerous situations than they are of amorphous enemies like sicknesses.

5. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    it can scare you much more to not properly being able to discern the cause but rather having to fight some unknown enemy.

Yep, its unnerving not to know what exactly is comming.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    A lot has changed in three years. He has married Padme, is about to have their first child, has seen a large number of deaths and finally he has done something that he knows was wrong. Killing Dooku is eating at him, in the back of his mind, because he could get in trouble if the Jedi found out how it was done. His whole life could change and he is afraid of change that he cannot control, as others have noted. So when Anakin forsees Padme's death, it's based in part of fear. The fear of change. The kind that he cannot stand. He has seen his mother in pain through the Force and she died. He has vowed that this would not happen again and he's the first vision of the future. So he's afraid of what it represents and what can happen.

Anakin is a control freak, plain and simple. He hates change and will do whatever he can to prevent his happiness from being taken away. And death is a natural part of life. It is the ultimate change.

7. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I agree with sinister.

8. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    on a general observation i find it really odd to equate fear of change with fear of loss. while change can bring about both good and bad, loss only brings about loss. and that's usally bad, unless you lose like a crappy car or something.

even if i lost my address book or my mobile phone i would feel pain because, at the very least, i would have to retrace all of my friends and gather all the stuff again. it might sound like a very ridiculous notion, but all the work that went into the old mobile phone address register would have been for nothing and maybe there'd be some people i wouldn't be able to contact anymore and maybe i loved them etc etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.