main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's Fighter

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by JediMasterChiefYoda, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I don't know if this has been discussed before, but why did the trade fed's capital ship drop its shields and let Ani in? Is that how the TradeFed fights? If so, then no wonder they lost the invasion of Naboo and this may cause them to lose the Clone War.

2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't know if their shields would stop an incoming fighter. I think it only stops energy weapons. We saw a Star Destoyer's bridge get destroyed by an asteroid. Granted it's a little bigger than a fighter, but I think that shields will only stop energy weapons, and not incoming objects.

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Some claim that the hangar shields drop and a ship flys out of the hangar at the same time he flies in. But I have never been able to find said ship leaving the hangar. I think there making that up or they got that from the EU novel. :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

4. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Shields that don't stop phyisical objects would be worthless in battle? Why didn't the Naboo just pummle the ship with proton tropedoes/concussion missiles then? That kind of shielding seems to me like going to battle with just a hand gun with only 2 or three rounds and no extra ammo. Very foolish and begging for a Darwin Award. . .

5. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Shields that don't stop phyisical objects would be worthless in battle? Why didn't the Naboo just pummle the ship with proton tropedoes/concussion missiles then? That kind of shielding seems to me like going to battle with just a hand gun with only 2 or three rounds and no extra ammo. Very foolish and begging for a Darwin Award. . .

Proton Torpedo = Energy Weapon

They Do hit it With a Proton Torpedo, watch carefully.

And Ships can Fly through the shields because they are slower then energy weapons.

I dont Think Lucas wouldnt have an excuse neway.

6. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Proton Torpedo = Energy Weapon

No, it's a missle. Remember in ANH, Gen. Dodanna explains how the DS exahaust shaft was shielded against lasers, but proton torpedoes could penetrate it.

I guess the Naboo missles did some damage, but no enough to be serious, like the lasers having little effect on the AT-ATs in ESB.

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Were proton torpedos even around in TPM, or were they a relatively new invention in ANH?

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    More likely they just have a hole in the shield around the hanger.

Officially, naboo fighters do have proton torpedoes. Since the X-wings were older than Princess Leia, there is no reason to believe that they are new technology

"and every one of those snub fighters is older than you are" --HS, SW Radio Drama by Brian Daley

9. VaderFett

VaderFett Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2003
    Lucus was probably on the bridge and said he would give the nemodians a pay rise if they let him in . They protested it is an enemy and me must be killed but then they saw that 2 dollars in his hand and they could not resist.

VF

10. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Like that time on the set of RotJ when he was attacked by Ewoks, protesting that they woudl only let him film on their moon if he gave them all bit parts.

Silvertouch

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    You can see three Droid Starfighters exciting the hanger of the Trade Federation Droid Control ship a few moments before Anakin's starfighter enters the hanger. It's very easy to spot, at least for me.

12. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Since the X-wings were older than Princess Leia, there is no reason to believe that they are new technology
    Everything I've ever read about the X-Wing says that it was the last fighter designed by Incom (before being taken over by the Empire). And that the designers, having learned about the seizure, fled to the Rebel Alliance with the plans and prototypes.

As for the proton torpedos on the N-1 fighter...like many military weapons, proton torpedos were in existance at the time of TPM (they may have been less powerful then those of ANH).

13. Yuuzhan_Vong_Warrior

Yuuzhan_Vong_Warrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Proton tropedoes were in existance in TPM. Anakin used one to blow up the core, remember? ;)

Ships cannot hit and pass through deflector shields. In the ROTJ novel (?), a few fighters are not able to pull up in time and hit the second Death Star's deflector shield, exploding in the process.

So, the Neimodians must have dropped the shield, most likely to let some fighters exit the hanger. Anakin entered the hanger at the same time the shield was down.

14. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The Naboo Starfighter's weaponry includes a pair of laser cannons and a proton torpedo launcher. I'm no expert on Trade Federation Battleship shields, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think that in general, shields can have their weak points. There is only so much shield power that can be used at one time, and it must be directed to different areas of a ship, and usually the pilot of a ship will regulate which areas of the ship are protected. The Federation Battleships were originally only transport ships that had been turned into "battleships," which they basically just started hauling around Battle Droids/ Droid Starfighters/ Scarabs/ MTTs/ ATTs/ etc.

They only had the standard amount of weaponry for a transport ship, which was used to surprise unsuspecting planets of invasion (ie Naboo). With this in mind, I think it's logical to assume that they would only have standard shields, and since at the time of the ship's construction they probably wouldn't need a lot of shields.

Oh, and in addition to the shield regulations, they may not have been expecting a Starfighter to do quite what Anakin did, and didn't have as strong a protection on that part of the ship. ;) Or, as YVW said, they may have dropped the shields momentarily to let out a new flight of Droid Starfighters.

15. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'n not sure if this is EU data or not (and if it is, well... take it as EU data), but there's apparently two types of shields:
    - particle shields
    - ray/deflector shields

Particle shielding defends against solid objects. It's the shield that defends starships against most space debris, asteroids, stuff like that, so that the ship doesn't have to beef up the armor plating so much.

Ray shielding defends against energy blasts, electrical disturbances, stuff like that. When a ship gets hit by an ion cannon, it's the ray shielding that goes down. Ray shielding doesn't defend against solid objects, though (such as missiles, like proton torpedoes, etc).

For example, the shield that the Gungans put up over their troops is a ray shield. That's why the shield stopped all the blaster and tank shots, but the droids could walk right through it.

As for how Anakin got into the Trade Federation hangar... I'd chalk that up as the magnetic-containment field (this may be EU stuff, too, for the record). Basically, it's a field over the open hangars that keeps everything from being sucked out into the vacuum of space. It lets solid objects through without resistance, but somehow keeps the atmosphere INside the hangar (don't ask me how it works :p) Basically, you could stand on the inside of a hangar, put your arm through the magcon field (although I wouldn't recommend it ;)), and not get sucked out into space.
    So, all Anakin did was fly through the magcon field, I'd assume. Nothing really spectacular about it.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Anakin flew through the hangar at the exact same moment as some droid starfighters exiting the hangar. Call it the will of the Force.

17. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    "I'n not sure if this is EU data or not (and if it is, well... take it as EU data), but there's apparently two types of shields:
    - particle shields
    - ray/deflector shields "

no, that's not EU. It's cannon straight from the OT. The first Death Star had ray sheilding. remember? the X and Y-wings had to pass through it. the second Death Star, had a deflector shield. Which is why Han and Leia had to take out the shield generator on the ground so that the fighters could move in toward the Death Star.

18. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    no, that's not EU. It's cannon straight from the OT. The first Death Star had ray sheilding. remember? the X and Y-wings had to pass through it. the second Death Star, had a deflector shield. Which is why Han and Leia had to take out the shield generator on the ground so that the fighters could move in toward the Death Star.

Well, I knew about the ray-shielding things from ANH, but the RotJ thing never occured to me. :)

19. ACloneWhoIsDifferent

ACloneWhoIsDifferent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2003
    i think the robots lost because they are bad fighters

20. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    ACloneWhoIsDifferent,

Love the name. There was someone on one of the major LOTR boards named, "ThirdOrcFromTheLeft." Cracked me up every time :)

21. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    So, the only thing covering the entrance to the Trade Federation Droid Control Ship hanger was the magnetic-containment field...not any kind of defensive shields. Anakin's ship flys in and out without a problem. Meanwhile the ships defensive shields were more then sufficient to absorb the Naboo starfighter lasers and proton torpedoes.

22. Yuuzhan_Vong_Warrior

Yuuzhan_Vong_Warrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Actually, after just watching TPM, I'll have to retract my last statement.

We see the shields absorbing the N-1 fighters' lasers. However, the proton torpedoes shot by the Naboo fighters get through and detonate successfully.

So, the Trade Federation uses ray shielding, meaning solid objects can get through, while lasers cannot. So that's how Anakin's ship got into the hangar.

23. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Well, the Gungans' shielding only stopped energy. The droids seemed to know they could walk right through it, the shielding of the Generators in Empire didn't lower and people walked in and out of the field, so I'm assuming all shielding in Star Wars only stops energy weapons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.