main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's ghost and the broken laws of supernatural phenomenon

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Evil_Otto, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    As you might have gathered by now, it's all about the all new "Hayden ghost" that we now see at the end of the DVD version of ROTJ. Now, I don't want this to be a conversation about how tacky the SFX were, but rather about Lucas and his "revision" of the laws of supernatural science. Being a sort of student of the subject for the last 15+ years, I can see where Lucas has made blunders in his rather ignorant views of what ghosts are.

Firstly, the original scene with Shaw was perfect, if only Anakin were in his 50's when he died, which we now know he wasn't at the time of ROTJ. Once Lucas changed all the ages of the characters in the PT the Shaw ghost didn't work, because he was way too old to look like a 41 year old. He could pass for being in his 50's, but never as a 41 year old. So Lucas naturally had to change his image for the younger Hayden Christensen. Now,even though the scene was very badly executed, the scene would still have worked if only Lucas had made Christensen look older, as if he were in his 40's.

Anakin literally died during the events of ROTJ, so I can't accept any of this Lucas type twaddle about his inner spirit dying during the events of ROTS. He literally physically died (a.k.a. his spirit left his body) at the end of ROTJ, so his ghost should have looked like he would have been as the 41 year old Anakin. Seeing that Anakin had redeamed himself, he should have appeared in the form that he would have looked like during the events of ROTJ if it wasn't for his turning to the Dark Side and having his accident.

I also reject totally that Sith and other evil beings can't become evil spirits, as was said by Obi-Wan in his fight with Vader in ANH. A ghost is formed by stong, mostly negative emotions (sorrow, hate, fear). It's an imprint on the environment, if you will, so an evil spirit such as a Sith would stand more chance of being left behind in the form of a ghost than even the environment manipulating Jedi Knights!

TLJ Edit: Either way, it's an Anakin-Ghost thread and how it's "wrong" - so it still belongs in the Saga thread

2. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden is in RotJ - it's now SW canon. If you can't make sense out of it, it doesn't stop it from being there.

3. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    Did I not say that this WOULDN'T be about whether he should have been put in there or not, but rather Lucas' ignorance of science of every type, in this case the supernatural?

4. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Supernatural laws? Wha...

Just when I thought whiners had peaked, you had to come and break out the shovels. This is easily the lamest argument I have read in a long time, and I've had to put up with bashing for many years now.

I don't mind if you think it was poorly executed--I thought it was beautifully done, but I can accept that I'm in a minority there. That's not the point.

It's that you actually have the confidence to FORCE these "real life supernatural laws" upon a make-believe world that is known for being DIFFERENT.

THIS IS NOT THE REAL WORLD, THIS IS THE STAR WARS WORLD. THINGS ARE DIFFERENT IN THE STAR WARS WORLD, "SUPERNATURAL LAWS" INCLUDED. GEORGE LUCAS CREATED THE STAR WARS WORLD, NOT YOU. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO TELL HIM HOW PHYSICS AND LAW SHOULD WORK IN HIS MAKE-BELIEVE WORLD?

It's like going to a pharmacy and complaining that the manager of it doesn't allow people to smoke there.

5. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    This thread is brilliant if it's ment to be a joke

6. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    and I've had to put up with bashing for many years now.

Sorry Mr Lucas...

7. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    There's supernatural laws now?

Even if Anakin did die in his 40's (as we all believed until a few months ago), don't you think it's possible ghosts can have a Matrix-style "residual self-image". If this is the case , then the reason Obi-Wan doesn't look like Ewan McGregor is because he chose the form that Luke was most familiar with.

Anakin obviously doesn't want to appear as a white, bald scarred man.

8. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    This thread is brilliant if it's ment to be a joke

I agree completely.

And of course we all know that supernatural "laws" as they are known here on earth apply to a fictional story set in a galaxy far, far away, right?

9. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Hey Evil_Otto -- I'm with ya, man. It makes no sense.

(Though Obi-Wan never said that evil folks can't become ghosts -- just didn't happen).

10. Boiiinng

Boiiinng Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2004
    (Though Obi-Wan never said that evil folks can't become ghosts -- just didn't happen).

He meant when Obi-Wan says "I will become more powerful than you can imagine," meaning "I can become a ghost and you can't! Neener neener neener!"

I agree as well. Hayden should look older at the end of ROTJ. Of course, we don't know what Anakin will completely look like after the Duel, so he may well end up looking like Shaw during the hangar scene at the end of ROTJ when Vader is unmasked. That I would accept, because even thought the body may be scarred, missing limbs, etc. doesn't mean that the soul will resemble that body upon death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.