main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's Ghost

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by JaporSnippet, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stejo-Miwar

Stejo-Miwar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    do you honestly believe lucas put hayden at the end of jedi cuz he thought it was a better ending?....

---

No...because he thought it made visual sense. Everyone relates to Anakin as they know him now and before he turned to the darkside, not how we saw him at the end of ROTJ.

Basically, we see Yoda as we last remember him before he died, we see Obi-Wan as we last remember him before he died....we see Anakin as we last remember him before he died, not when he died again at the end of ROTJ.

Makes good old sense to me.

2. Hood_wink

Hood_wink Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2003
    No one ever complained in all the years since Jedi about an old Anikin. But king george pulls a marketing scam and now it's gods word.

It's frightening how people are so brainwashed by this man. Not long before people start lining up to see his image on a sidewalk cement stain or bedroom window?

In 83' like now, he called the shots and he could of placed a young actor in the ghost spot to await to be replaced Hayden some day. Only a cosmedic change. And no auguement here. Makes a different and lesser statement, but if that's what he wanted so be it.

But no, he put in a older Anikin as a ghost because that being the plot point of the story, was when Luke 'saved' him. It was Anikin that sacrificed himself for Luke. Not Vader. And No one complains.
    Where was the outcry for george to change this in the 80's and 90's. Even during Ep1 and 2 years, no ever suggested "Jedi"should be different.

In 20 more years, ( after failed tv shows and willow sequels) he will make more star wars films, and in changing his mind again will again tamper with the OT and the PT.
    Yes with the PT. Do you think Hayden isn't replaceable with some future CGI technology to get a better performance?
    "I had to wait until the technogogy caught up with my vision" GL.

3. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002

Nods slowly, points thumb toward last poster, as if to say "This guy's all right."

4. DarthBerzerker

DarthBerzerker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2004
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. From the Earth you came, and to it you shall return.

Or something to that effect.

Anakin was concieved by the force and upon his death(Anakin's, not Vader's), he becomes one with that which brought him into existence. The fact that Hayden replaced Shaw seems to make more sense from a storyline perspective if Anakin actually does die and is brought back to life as suited Vader in ROTS.

5. jeromew

jeromew Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    In that case, should they have put McGregor in since he had more airtime?

6. jeromew

jeromew Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    How does Anakin learn force ghosting (eternal life)? He couldn't have been contacted at his death by Obi-wan, qui-gon and yoda because he was talking to Luke. There really wasn't enough time. I also don't buy that his force birth gives him a joker card. The force birth didn't just solve all his problems in life, so it wouldn't solve his problems in death too.

It seems like a hole to me, but the only viable explanations may be that he just became aware of it when he died (qui-gon probably did something similar right?) since he has such a dramatic revelation in his last moments. Other explanation is an EU explanation (basically, I heard palps came back so maybe he taught vader- I'll leave it at that since this is only a movie discussion).

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    When Anakin died, he found Obi-wan and Yoda waiting for him. They taught him how to retain his identity, which was letting go of his conscious self. No thought of attachment or sense of self. That's all it took. The reason he looked like his young self is that is how he was before he became evil.

8. AUSSIETROOPER20

AUSSIETROOPER20 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    If yoda, anakin and obi-wan can become ghost's why couldn't qui-gon and the other dead Jedi?

I think GL should insert Jedi spirits all over the galaxy during the time of the celebration, that would be great, and maybe a spirit of padme making it that anakin, yoda and obi-wan helped make her a spirit since she made love to a jedi and cause the force was also strong in her too.

9. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    Obi-Wan learned from Yoda, Yoda learned from Qui-Gon...

Who did Anakin learn this from?

If this have been discussed before, sorry and I will lock it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, about a hundred times :0)

The general consensus on here for ages seemed to be that through compassion, love and self sacrifice, anakin joined the force in death, for it is only through these things can eternal life be learned/granted, etc.

Then recently, the charicter info was updated on the SW Website, and the new information on Anakins profile supports this. Have a read yourself.

10. Darth_Kyran

Darth_Kyran Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm sure that we'll see that in tv. series.

11. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    I'm sure that we'll see that in tv. series.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude, the answers on the SW website under Anakina charicter profile, as mentioned above, go read it now, no need to wait for TV series.

12. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Ah, excuse me. But I did! From the moment I first saw the movie in 1983, I was never happy with Sebastian Shaw as Anakin. Not because of Sebastian, but because of the fact that Anakin was in his forties when he died yet the mask is removed and there is an old man in his seventies, and at the end, there he is standing next to Obi-Wan and he's older than Obi-Wan!!! I never liked that..

But, then again, I never let it bother me (no banging head against a wall!) or spoil my enjoyment of the movie. [face_peace]

He changes things on a whim and then changes them again. Gives different answers depending on the interview. Is very vague about story points. Changes his mind constantly.

:eek: OMG, George Lucas IS human after all!!! :eek:

13. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

[face_plain]

The only people who think that the 80-year old shaw works best are those who saw it for the first time in the 80's and always accepted it that way. I saw it for the first time in 1983, too. ...But, I seem to be more open to improvements and noodling than most people my age. I am able to "unlearn what I have learned." In context of the entire saga (now completed), Hayden Christensen as Anakin's ghost, looking as he would have - had he not turned to the dark side, is now touching to me.

I like that Luke can see who his dad really was back when he was a good guy. It works for me much better than having luke look at some old man with weird hair, who is older than Obi-Wan, who we never saw like that ever in the saga. "Old" Anakin would not have had hair or limbs. So, why would his ghost? Also, Sebastian Shaw's version of the ghost slaughtered Jedi and betrayed his friends when he was younger, too. It's not like he's some lovable old nice guy who never did anything wrong. You people who claim to "hate" the change think of Anakin's ghost this way. Newsflash: HE NEVER WAS THAT GUY! You're really only angry because you don't like Lucas making changes to what literal, physical image of his ghost you accepted as a kid.

Get over it. I guarantee that Anyone who didn't "fall in love with Star Wars" in the 70's and 80's would tell you that they not only think that the young ghost works better for closure, but that an 80-year old Sebastian Shaw ghost is an idiotic idea. If you die in your 40's, would you expect your ghost to look like an 80-year old?

EmSeeSquared likes this.
  14. neutralsideforce

neutralsideforce Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2005
    Episode 3, rest a mess. Changes for the 2007 dvd set.

15. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Qui-Gon couldn't do it because at the time of his death, he didn't know how. It's only until a few years later when he learns how one could retain they're identity. So, he guides Yoda in the teaching of this trick from RotS and throughout his stay on Dagobah.

For all the rest of the Jedi throughout the galaxy, they're pretty much in the same boat as Qui-Gon; they died when it was too late. When Order 66 happened, Yoda was in the process of learning the trick and never got to fully understand it until later on, after most of the Jedi had been killed. So Yoda teaches the one Jedi he knows is still alive how to commune with Qui-Gon to learn the trick over the years, and that's Obi-Wan.

16. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Are you honestly saying you thought Shaw looked in his seventies in that scene? He looked a lot younger than that to me. In any case, we didn't know in 1983 what age Anakin was meant to be. He could have been closer to Obi-Wan's age. It's only the prequels that have shown him to be much younger.

Yes, he's human. He also changes his mind a lot. The problem is, he tries to pass off his latest version of SW as "the way it was always intended" which is blatantly dishonest. What happens when the next version comes out?

See, this is a problem I have with the whole "Qui-Gon was the first Force Ghost" thing. He couldn't retain his identity when he died - so where did he go? Was his spirit just floating around the ether for ten years until he "learned" how to do it? What about all the other dead Jedi? Couldn't he have contacted their spirits and shown them as well?

17. Force-Keeper

Jun 16, 2004
    He was in the "netherworld of the Force" as Yoda calls it. He came in contact with the Shaman of the Whills who taught him how to retain ones identity. Again, the rest of the Jedi didn't know that you can contact a Jedi that is no longer living; only Yoda knew.

18. Much_Fear_in_Me

Much_Fear_in_Me Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    Maybe I am looking at this wrong but it appears to me that he did not "earn" anything. Obi-wan earned it by sacrificing himself, thus he disappeared. Notice that Qui-Gon does not disappear because he learns how to join the force. Anakin does not disappear on the death star, so I would think he learns how.

However, I think i have heard it said that what luke is burning is actually the suit and not Anakin, but I never see him disappear.

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    You're right. We don't see him. So he could've disappeared.

But as it said in the RotJ Commentary, Obi-Wan and Yoda did it for him. They obviously felt that the good person in Vader (Anakin pre-RotS) deserved it. Redemption and forgiveness is key. It must mean a lot that your friends are willing to forgive you for 20 Years of shear terror spreading in the Galaxy.

:)

20. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    I read in the latest Star Wars Insider (the pablo hidalgo answers questions segment) that Obi Wan and Yoda actually help and guide Anakin becoming a force ghost after his death. Anakin doesn't know how to do it himself - he needs their guidance. And he also said that it is Anakin/Vader who is burned in Jedi - not just the suit. So if Pablo is correct, then the debate how Anakin becomes a spirit is revealed although I wouldn't say Pablo is always 100% correct. And to add to the Hayden debate, Lucas was right to add him in JEDI. Like him/it or not, he is ANAKIN SKYWALKER. I don't care if Shaw was the first. Anakin is Lucas' vision of Anakin and Shaw is far too old for the role. I wouldn't even mind if he replaced shaw with Hayden in the conversation with Luke (maybe mention Padmé) not that I want that to happen. And there is no comparison with Hayden/Shaw and the two Batmans (or should I say the five Batmans) in my book. Shaw isn't in JEDI for that long a time - unlike Adam West, Michael Keaton and even Val Kilmer, George Clooney and Christian Bale for that matter. Totally different situations.

21. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    You're right. We find that out when we listened to the RotJ Commentary though. :p

22. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    It's nice that Hayden's face was added in the film, but why keep Shaw's BODY? I don't remember Anakin wearing that outfit? They should have just shown Hayden as a floating burned torso with smoke rising from his head.

23. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I think it was all Hayden. I don't think they just replaced the head of Shaw.

Plus, he just came back from the Darkside. Maybe those clothes show his glorious return to the Light. That, or they were all out of black.

24. Force-Keeper

Jun 16, 2004
    I always assumed that the clothing Anakin was wearing as a ghost is just the normal, traditional, Jedi attire.

25. jedibarrister

jedibarrister Jedi Master star 1

Apr 30, 2001
    In the Last of the Jedi series, Qui-Gon Jinn won't teach OB1 what he learned from the "Shaman of the Whills" until OB1 is ready. OB1 has cut himself off from the living force out of grief and pain. He also blames himself for what happened to Anakin. Until he lets go of the blame, and of the pain, and reconnects w/ the living force, Jinn won't show him the trick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.