main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's Loss of Force Powers

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ofiwan, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ofiwan

ofiwan Jedi Master

Mar 16, 2010
    Now, we are all aware that Anakin lost the full force potential he could have achieved after his battle of Obi-Wan Kenobi. I am pretty sure that it's debatable that he lost some of current force prowess after his fight with Obi-Wan and that it more or less diminished. Though, one really wouldn't be able to notice because he was able to call on the dark-side of the force and use his anger and rage to face his enemies.

I was just curious about a theory, maybe he lost his force potential because he lost midichlorians? Even though the concept of midichlorians is highly debatable we can't pretend it doesn't exist. Since a living person has to have a *certain* amount of midichlorians in his body than I think one could argue that Anakin lost his force potential because he lost ALL of his body parts and he was nearly burned to death. That could easily cause him to lose thousands and thousands of midhiclorians because he lost all of his limbs and his spirit was shattered.

Opinions?

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He had the same midichlorian count in both trilogies.

Uh, not quite.:p

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yep. And slightly less body mass to call upon the Force with.:p

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    But still more than Yoda.[face_hypnotized]

5. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Indeed.

I wonder how much power Yoda would lose if he lost limbs?
    [face_thinking]

6. ofiwan

ofiwan Jedi Master

Mar 16, 2010
    Yes, well not all of them but by body parts I do mean appendages. I mean, maybe in a species like Yoda the midichlorians are more concentrated or something.

However, if Midichlorians are in one's cells how can one have the same amount of midichlorians if they lose say, two arms and two legs. That means loss of cells which leads to loss of midichlorians...

Also, I guess the same argument could be made for Luke when he lost his right hand or when Anakin first lost his right arm. I might be reading into this to much I guess.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Midichlorian count is not the total number of midichlorians; the latter statistic was never cited in canon and specifically was never linked to Force potential, just like body mass as a pure value.

Exactly - and it was never said that Anakin or Luke experienced any loss of potential in those cases.

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Hence my comment earlier about bodymass. The midichlorian-per-cell-count in not affected by the removal of limbs, AnaVader will always have 20,000 midi's per cell. Vader just had less-cells (mass) to work with after losing limbs. Thus, his potential is limited to the remaining mass on his body and given that his remaining mass still contains a high-concentration of midichlorians... Vader is still quite powerful.

We don't know Yoda's count, but we know its high.
    IMO: if Yoda lost limbs, his overall connection would diminish, just like Vader's.

9. ofiwan

ofiwan Jedi Master

Mar 16, 2010
    I agree that he is still quite powerful. :p

And yes, it makes more sense to me now. Thanks for clearing that up! Biology was never my best subject...

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Its a tricky subject, given how ambiguous all the onscreen dialog was.
    Check your PM's. Sent you a few items that may prove useful.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    QUI-GON: His cells have the highest concentration of midichlorians I have seen in a life form.

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Agreed.

13. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    While Anakin lost an over all count, he didn't lose the concentration, I agree with SSS on this 110%

14. jediman328

jediman328 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2010
    What powers did he really even lose, besides being a bit slower and doesn't use lightning ( can't really say he lost that power since he never used it). He still chokes, that's his main power he likes to do. Vader is the most powerful person besides Palps, which Palps probably wanted with that crazy smile at the end of ROTS, almost as if he was happy to remain at his mantle because he knew there was no way anyone could defeat him now in combat.

15. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    So if you lose some of your connection because of a few lost body parts, couldn't you regain that by just letting yourself get fat? :confused:

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    'Gaining body-fat' mass is done by increasing the size of existing cells, not adding 'new fat' cells to the body... when reduced to the ridiculous. Believe it or not, one the ways I get paid is to measure that process. So even if AnaVader went all Vectivus inside the suit and got bloated, it would just make him more round. Or square, like Lego-Vader.

:)

17. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    This makes the idea of a Jedi Hutt even more dangerous.

18. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    That is true, to a point. But after a certain amount of fat is deposited inside the fat cells, they have a tendancy to divide. At least, so I've heard [face_thinking]

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    "One amazing fact is that fat cells generally do not generate after puberty -- as your body stores more fat, the number of fat cells remains the same. Each fat cell simply gets bigger! (There are two exceptions: the body might produce more fat cells if an adult gains a significant amount of weight or has liposuction performed.)" --Craig Freudenrich, Ph.D.

EDIT:
    Also, I'd like to note that body-fat; or babyfat rather, is a better shock-absorber for soft bones on toddlers that fall-alot learning to stand and walk. Muscle; and why we 'lose babyfat', is a much better shock-absorber from athletic hardened bones... all the way to older, more brittle ones.

20. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    Wouldn't it be that Anakin's effectiveness would be a combination of Force power and garden variety human skill, strength etc? I mean, Yoda's midi count wouldn't have declined as he aged, but his general physical performance surely did. As with age, injury, deformation and deformation could effect overall performance, if not raw Force power.

Maybe.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That has something to do with it... if we follow the trail.

"How will I...

"When you learn to quiet your mind..."
    "Still having trouble sleeping?"
    "Think, Anakin..."
    "I promise I won't fail you again, mom."
    "Anakin! NO!!"
    "I am a slow learner."
    "Learn to let go..."
    "Whatever you ask..."
    "You have allowed this dark lord to twist your mind."

The dude was never able to clear his mind of distractions for any sustainable period until long after he became Vader. The pinnacle of that result was ESB. He never came close to tapping into his full potential until he got into the suit, and by then he was but a shadow of his former self.

22. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Anakin was an 'infant Sith,' much like a child arsonist with a flame thrower. He did not yet fully understand his full potential of his new powers. Baby Vader let his conflicting emotions dilute the totally awesome power of his rage and anger. He effectively experienced a Sith Short Circuit.

Kenobi seemed to sense this as he deftly exploited his former apprentice's flaws to perfection (aside from the fact that Anakin did not have his jumping boots on, and thus failed to execute what should have been a routine force leap off the platform and up the lava slope).

Palpatine once told Anakin: "Your hate makes you strong. Indeed it did, although too late. That said, it ultimately kept him alive (until Palps arrived). Had Ani focused his hatred like a mangifying glass concentrating sunshine on an ant, Kenobi would have literally been 'toast' . . . and Palpatine would have most assuredly have suffered a similar fate.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Because he was attempting to land directly behind Kenobi's position for a killing stroke, as evidenced by his dialogue: This is the end for you, my master. Landing up the slope just resets the battle to stage one, and he was getting impatient.

24. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^
    "Impatient," perhaps -- but in the end, he was THE patient!

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Wouldn't landing up the slope shift the advantage?
    Rather than reset?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.