main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's New Empire

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NikkolasKing, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ehh-the script is more guidelines, not actual rules, IMO. He's called Darth Vader in the script because that's who he is going to be in the film-the script is under no requirement to create the sort of tone the film itself is going for.

When something reads like this:

INSERT NAME HERE

they say this

INSERT OTHER PERSON'S NAME HERE

It's not really the completed product insomuch as explaining what happens next. Him being called Darth Vader in the script is simple expediency.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The above assumes the premise that he's not Darth Vader until the suit. In the film itself he's already Darth Vader by that point, according to Yoda. He had already joined the Sith and turned to the dark side.

It would have been just as expedient to type "ANAKIN".

3. NikkolasKing

NikkolasKing Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2009
    *shrug* I just always called him Darth Anakin. He's not Vader till he puts on the suit I agree and he's no longer just Anakin Skywalker. So..Darth Anakin.

Vaderkin sounds...cute. >>

4. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I loved this line - one of my favorites in the scene. I really dug the fact that Anakin planned to knock out Sidious and rule himself with Padme. I believe he would have killed Palpatine, no problem, after using him to ensure Padme was safe - not because Sidious wasn't powerful enough to stop him...I think theoretically he was - but the prophecy foretold that Anakin would do it. So eventually he would.

I think his kingdom with Padme would have been a better place. I think even without her it would. Because Anakin's compassion never died in 23 years - and it would have even been stronger earlier on. So if he'd of gotten rid of Sidious much sooner, I think he would have ruled with far more compassion than was allowed under Sidious.

But would it be a Republic? No. And that would lead to problems I think. So in the long run, unless he could be talked around to democracy, he would be doomed to a failed kingdom with people fighting against him. And we know rebels in SW always win in the end...

5. NikkolasKing

NikkolasKing Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2009
    "I loved this line - one of my favorites in the scene. I really dug the fact that Anakin planned to knock out Sidious and rule himself with Padme"

Ditto. His best line in the PT, IMO.

6. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    1. Anakin is probably aware that it is his destiny to destroy the sith - so its not a question of if, its merely a question of when - of course he could - he did it in ROTJ. One thing is certain in my mind though - anakin's initial intention is to kill Sidious as soon as he has absorbed as much knowledge and power from him as possible - much like the unnamed apprentice did with Darth Plageuis. no, he probably wouldn't have been able to destroy him at that exact moment in the film, but there's no doubt he would have been able to much sooner than he eventually did, had he not become half-machine after his duel with Obi-Wan.

2. I'm not really sure. Anakin may have run a more compassionate Empire, but its more likely he'd have been fuelled by his power and driven mad by it.

7. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Well, he wanted Padmé to run his Empire. You'll notice that he offers Padmé and Luke the same choice because he considers them the "someone wise" hinted at in his little exposition on the ideal government.

In fact, they're so wise that they both reject him.

8. Jan_Wahlor

Jan_Wahlor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2009
    Vader was never tested as a politician.

I think he had power, but lacked the cunning to rule the Empire like Palpatine did.

I think he was smart enough to gain the machiavelistic characterestics necesary to be the next Palps but the he was just to cripled to realise his full potential.

9. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    That's one of the best points raised in this thread. :) Palpatine's power extended beyond raw force ability. His greatest weapon was manipulation (as he proved during the turning of Anakin). Anakin may have thought "his new empire" would have brought peace to the galaxy, but I agee with Jan_Wahlor that it would have failed.

10. X-Factor

X-Factor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2009
    You two make some good points but I don't think Anakin's empire would have failed. He doesn't need Palpatine's mastery of manipulation to rule, all he needs is brute force and and fear as his ally.

11. Jan_Wahlor

Jul 29, 2009
    Every Empire needs an enemy or ilusion of an enemy for internal stability, i dont think it would have been that easy for him.

He had no patience to set up the Empire step by step like Palps did.

12. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Just a point here...Palpatine's Empire eventually failed too ;).

--MissPadme

13. Jan_Wahlor

Jul 29, 2009
    Vader would never last that long.

A Vong invasion would have been great for the Empire.

14. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    1. Yes, he could have, but not initially. He would have needed more Dark Side training first.

2. I think he could have held it together for a little while, but it would have been a military dictatorship. Palpatine, in addition to the Stormtrooper Corps/GAR, had the Senate (mostly) on his side. Anakin would have had to rule entirely through the military presense (not that Palp's Empire didn't do that it a lot of places, anyway) because I doubt the Senate would have accepted his rule. Rebellion would have occured earlier and it would have been larger.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Absolutely, and that's a fair point. No empire can last forever, I just feel that Palpatine's lasted longer than Anakin's ever would have.

16. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I don't see Anakin becoming an emperor in the traditional sense, I don't see him wanting that, it's not in his character to be a politician. I could see him having the senate decide day to day things, with him being the leader of the armed forces and being able to change the senate's decisions if he wishes. Or he might have someone become the political leader of the empire, while he controls the military, though I don't think he would trust anyone with that level of power save padme

17. X-Factor

X-Factor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2009
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. Anakin would not have the Senate at his side so he would have to rule with strong military force.

18. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Anakin, unfettered by Palpatine pulling the strings would have been a completely distinct ruler. I think he understood his limitations - he was stubborn and strongheaded, but he did listen - he didn't always follow - but he'd learn from his mistakes and listen thereafter. It would have been push and pull but I think his compassion which would not have been under pressure to be quelched, would have seen him bringing in good people to help out. It may have failed - but I don't think it would have failed for evilness if it did - although it might have started off in that direction. But it was Anakin - and he was simply not the same dude in the PT that he became in the OT. Unless somebody recalls him having a hissy fit and crying after having Lars and family blown up...lol.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think Anakin would have made Padme the new "Galactic Empress" and he would be happy to just put her on the throne and obey her orders.

20. Jan_Wahlor

Jul 29, 2009
    First she shoud become a dark side dominatrix.

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/9/97/Lumiya1.jpg]

21. Use2bVader

Use2bVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2006
    His destiny was NEVER to destroy the Sith, it was to bring balance to the force which he did at the end of ROTS. 6 Force users; 2 light, 2 neutral (Luke and Leia) and 2 Dark. total Balance

"You can make a throne of Bayonets, but you cant sit on it for long" - Boris Yeltson

Any empire that relies on Fear and force will be overthrown eventually

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Actually that's not how the prophecy was fulfilled. Anakin brought balance to the Force when he killed Sidious and returned to the light himself. The Force is out of balance because of the existence of the Sith and other Dark Side users. No matter how many Light Side users there are, only the Dark Side users knock the Force out of balance.

The citation of "3" is the Mythology of Star Wars. So this is officially true, or canon.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's balance to the Force, not balance to the rolls of Force-users. Lucas has been clear that the prophecy is fulfilled in ROTJ, not ROTS.

I find it notable that the characters in the films never speak of destroying the dark side itself, but only of destroying the Sith. If EU such as Labyrinth of Evil and the entire post-ROTJ line are to be believed, the dark side never completely disappears, whether the Force is balanced or not.

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Which is why I don't pay attention to most EU. :)

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Some might say not all EU is created equal...[face_whistling]:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.