main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's New Empire

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NikkolasKing, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, frankly, it's not.

[image=http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n5/n25161.jpg]

is not even in the same ballpark of well-executed writing as, say,

[image=http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n24/n122905.jpg]

or

[image=http://www.sffaudio.com/images05/large/StarWarsRevengeOfTheSith500.jpg].....

And to pretend otherwise (unless you're just looking at events in the universe, as opposed to actual criticism) is silly.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think it makes sense to say that destroying the Sith brings balance to the Force by removing those who corrupt the Force by using the dark side and making its power grow... and that that is not the same thing as destroying the dark side itself. The dark side is probably a natural part of the Force, but the danger comes from flirting with it. So even after the Force has been balanced, the dark side may be there, but it is not being used by any Sith so it causes no imbalance. However, the risk is still there that a future Jedi may fall to the dark side and cause lack of balance to return if they use it. That's how I've looked at this, and I'm pretty unfamilar with most EU (by choice ;)).

On that note, and to the point that not all EU is created equal, the only SW novels I've read are the "Dark Lord Trilogy": LOE, ROTS, and Dark Lord. I enjoyed them quite a bit. However, in looking into other SW novels to consider reading, nothing has really caught my attention. Most have seemed somewhat cheesy to be honest.

3. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    He couldn't defeat Sidious at that point. He was too emotionally unstable and Sidious would've played his mind like a fiddle.

He would've been initially popular as leader, but his inexperience and tactlessness would've seen his reign end quickly.

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Go read Traitor, the post-graduate doctoral thesis of the after-ROTJ EU.

5. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Eheh, Stover rocks as did Traitor. But I don't think Anakin would base his new empire on Vergere's philsophy or one Jacen would ultimately come up with lol. That would be a bit far fetched for him - not that you are suggesting he might. I think he'd bascially go with the Jedi philosophy, it is just that he might prefer a stronger means of imputing his values on the galaxy...

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No, no, I was just suggesting a fourth book for him to read. :p

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, and I appreciate the recommendation... will look into that.

8. SLASHAXL

SLASHAXL Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2005
    He had the sheer power to defeat Sidious at that point. But i agree Sidious would have played him like a fiddle. Although, if Padme died and Anakin defeated Obi-wan on Mustafar, what was really left for Sidious to play with. Sidious would be contending with a rage fueled force user, who has twice the force potential of Sidious.

9. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    Interesting point about the absence of Padme leverage for Sidious. I think the fact that Anakin didn't defeat Obiwan is probably indicative of how powerful he was in practical, as opposed to raw, terms though.

10. mmart23

mmart23 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2009
    Yes. Anakin as the chosen one with all his power would have slain Palpatine. After all, Palpatine would have lost to Mace Windu and Anakin was more powerful than Mace.

No, his Empire would have died quicker as he always wanted the quick fix to things. The patience of Palpatine allowed his plans to grow. Anakin's would be shortlived at best. 10 years instead of 20.

Matt M

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He certainly thought that he did, at any rate. I heard Lucas said that Palpatine was the strongest Force-user in the saga, but unfortunately I don't have a source for that.

12. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    This. Yes, Anakin was known as the Hero but as a Jedi, who - thanks to Sidious - have now been accused of being traitors and outlawed. Anakin would have had to distance himself from the Jedi (and his reputation with them) lest he be suspected of collusion, so he would have been too suspect and as the above shows - completely inexperienced in being a political leader (he had leadership capabilities from the war, but that's much different from the day to day decision-making and politicking needed by an emperor who still has - and needs - a Senate to help rule and to deal with).

13. zeroskywalker

zeroskywalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2009
    1. He would have, Palpatine was not in his prime, and Anakin would have done what every other sith has done, learn everything his master had to teach then kill him.

2. His way of government sounds very much like Plato's the Republic, where there is a ruler who makes decisions in the best interests of people, the guardians who enforce the rules and the low class that just does the work to keep the empire around. unfortunately for anakin hes just a guardian, and he knows it, and he needs someone who can make decisions, and had anakin not been burnt, padme probably would have still lived.

14. SLASHAXL

SLASHAXL Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2005
    I remember reading that. But i can't actually find a quote from Lucas either.

He had the power and midichlorians, but i accept that he hadn't harnessed it fully yet.

I think GL made a mistake by showing Obi-wan to be his equal, as it simply removed all credibilty of Anakin being extremly powerful. Ok so Obi-wan was on the backfoot the whole way through the duel. But when the both try and force push each other, Anakin should have bested him at that at least. it kinda takes away from Anakin.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Even without the Lucas quote, the movies seem to at least suggest that Palpatine is the strongest Force user, with Yoda a close second.

Regarding Anakin and Obi-Wan... Obi-Wan wins because he plays to his own strengths while using Anakin's weaknesses against him. Anakin may have been destined to become the strongest Force user at some point, but he wasn't there yet. On Mustafar, his "overconfidence was his weakness".

16. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Anakin was eventually going to surpass Palpatine by leaps and bounds - he was not at that point yet though. He would have had to brush up his skills in and out of the Force and then he would have walloped Sidious. If Anakin had continued to let the dark consume him, then his rule would likely have been similar to Sidious'. But I think if Padme was with him, that would not have been the ultimate outcome. He'd of killed Sidious and been sucker talked around to a less strict rule. He wanted power, but I don't think he would have ended up enjoying sitting around all day the way Sidious could, making decisions and attending endless meetings. He'd grow very restless and bored and that would open him to the idea of a more democratic type empire I'd imagine.

17. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Optimally (Padme alive to take care of the civilian bureaucracy, he kills Palps as soon as he's not needed, just everything goes right for Anakin in setting up his Empire) I think his Empire evolves into something other than a pure Empire. Maybe it changes into a Monarchy and has the Skywalkers rule the Galaxy.

I think Anakin just shut down and fell into what we see in the OT after he finds out Padme dies because he has nothing to go back too.

The only reason Anakin acted like he did to Padme on Mustafar was because he was on a Dark-Side high. If she would've waited on Coruscant like he asked her to, I think he would've reverted to someone in between the completely light side Anakin and the completely dark side Vader. As long as he'd have something to live for he'd never jump off the Dark Side deep end (what he was doing up until then was just swimming in it).

18. izzy_the_hutt

izzy_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2009
    I was totally thinking this whole situation sounded like 'The Republic'. Padme would definitely be a philosopher king (queen?) in this situation, being the one of the few who would actually rule in the interests of the people. Of course, one of the marks of the philosopher in Plato's theory is that he never would CHOOSE to rule--he's too wise to do so. Which fits with Padme, cause she would never go along with her crazy Ani's scheme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.