main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Anakin's Robe/Cloak AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthRaven, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthRaven

DarthRaven Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2002
    Hello, I'm new around here, and have looked through a few pages of the forums, and I still have a question... where can I buy (or get a pattern) for Anakin's Cloak/Robe from AOTC, I noticed that there are no sleeves, just slits for the arms, but other than that, I'm pretty much lost lol... any help/links/manuals are appreciated.

Thank you very much,
    Raven

sg edit -- just unlocking!

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    As far as I know, there is no pattern/manual or instructions for the Anakin Jedi cloak, but I will be making one in the next week.

I am having trouble locating an acceptable fabric. I have been looking at a lot of different places around. Everything has been either, not the right color, too heavy, too light, not enough fabric on hand to make the cloak or too expensive.....

So far, this is what I have decided about the cloak:

>I would love to make it fully-lined but it has no visible closure, so it would slide right off if it were lined.

>The hood is going to be rounded on the one I make.

I found a rayon blend at one store. I think there is enough fabric there. I am figuring it will take ~8+ yards. I want to make it as full as possible.

3. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    Nostradamus - Thank you for the reply :), I like the idea of the rounded hood, it seems really confusing when I look at his cloak/robe... looks great, but I don't see how it could be made lol, I will be looking foward to your manual... :) cause I WANT THAT ROBE! :)

Much thanx,
    Raven

4. Argarathoo

Argarathoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    I am getting one made for me. It is on Ravensmoon website. Look for the Scholar's robe and when ordring ask him to put a hood on it.

5. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    Argarathoo - Thanx for the link and reply - I just looked at the Scholar's robe, I'll definaty keep that one in mind :) - But I'd rather have one that looks more like Anakin's... that one is good, but the slits for the sleeves are to big (looks it...), I think I'll wait to see what Nostradamus's will look like :)

6. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I looked at that site and tried to see what that cloak you mentioned looks like. It's hard to tell.

I can't really tell how high the slits on Anakin's cloak go. I think I am going to try to make the openings start about 6-8" down from the shoulder line. The slits are not on the side-seam, they are maybe 1/3rd of the way between the side seam and the center, I think. There is also a collar band theat runs the entire length of the front opening of the cloak. (similar to the band on a Jedi tunic, but straight, rather than angled) The hood is gathered & attatched under and into this band.
    I have been thinking about how the heck we will keep this cloak in place, since there is no closure. I am thinking that we might need to put some Velcro or snaps somewhere along the neckline or else it will fall off even if it is not lined.

Patterns?

I have been looking at several cloak patterns that I may use to morph into this. There is nothing available with the side-slits or the band collar at this length....or the hood being attatched into this collar.....or the gigantic hood like this. Other than some construction tips and scale reference, the patterns won't be a whole lot of help.

7. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    According to "The Padawan's Guide" site the slits are about 12 to 14" from the shoulder down. I think anything smaller would be too much of a liability in a duel if you want to get your cloak off.

8. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    Hmmm, you both make some really good points :) maybe we could use that buckle looking thing like whats on a cape to hold it together (sorry, I don't know jack about sewing lol, as you all can probably tell)

9. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    AAAaargh!

I have to make a decision--what color is the cloak?

Is it more of a black with a brownish cast?

What few brown fabrics I have been finding have been too light-colored. A brown dye may or may not darken them if they are a dyable fabric. The cloak is not a pure black. If I get a dyeable black fabric and put it into a brown dye would it have enough of the correct look?

I saw a nice brown textured-looking rayon, but it is approximately the same value as the tunic. It really won't be any darker-looking than any other Jedi robe.

When Anakin is walking around with Palpatine (on the trailers) the cloak seems very black-looking, NOT brown. I know this has to do with the differences in set lighting.

Right now I am leaning more towards trying to put a brown wash on a black fabric. Then it might be dark enough.

WHAT COLOR IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE??

Slits 12" down? That would put the opening at the elbo bend. Does that make sense? Would that impeed mobility? He is wearing it while riding the speeder on Tatooine (in the trailer) Where are his arms in relation to the cloak? I gotta watch that again.

10. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    I'd prefer black over brown :) screw "cannon" coloration.

11. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    Check out this website. There are a few pics of the Anakin costume from EPII that they made. It looks really good.

Kropserkel.com

12. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Hmmmmm. They are showing a brown, sleeved robe with their Anakin ensemble.

I am going to look at that black again tomorrow and I need to make a stop at the hobby store, so I will look into the brown dye as well.
    I saw a guy on the train this morning on my way to work who was wearing a long coat in the exact color brown/black that I am envisoning. I doubt I will find anything even close to that color at the fabric stores for an other few months.

hmmmm. Plan "B" is in effect. Just wait until I get to the cutting........

13. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    damn I love that robe! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, thanx for the link Argarathoo, that robe kicks...

Nostradamus - I think there robe looks nice, but I think I want the black one more though :) still looks awesome.

14. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    I'm getting mine in black. Most of the people where I live won't know what the hell I am let alone critique my costume.

15. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    About the closure question on the cloak. The guy from Ravensmoon said that there would be no need for a clasp or anything to hod it on you shoulders. The cloak is designed to hang over the shoulders and not need to be clasped. If you really need something else to hold it on and you dont want to walk around with your arms through the slits I would recommend velcro. It holds tight and if need be you can get the cloak off quickly. Thanks for listening.

16. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    Yes, Velcro sounds like a great idea... but the Scholor's robe does like a little diffrent from Anakin's.

17. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    Mine isn't ecacty like the one pictured on his site. I sent in some refference pictures so he could get it as close as possible to the movie costume. He just needed a rough idea before I got him the refference shots so he could order the fabric.

18. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    I have only 1 good pic of the robe, could you tell me where to get the pics you have please? thanx.

19. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    All of the info I got is from "The Padawan's guide" Here's the linky link.

Padawan's Guide

Most of what I sent in were drawings that I made from the info on the site listed above. I'm not sure if I have them anymore bacause I am in the middle of cleaning my room and i'm afraid my mom threw out most of my sketches. I'll try to dig up some and scan them.

20. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    thanx for the link, I think they only had one good pic of the robe:

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/anakin/costume/jedi/anakin_nosleeves2.jpg]

I'll keep looking.

21. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Hmmmmmmmm. The padawan's guide says that the slits in the sides are not all the way to the bottom hem. Are they possitive on this design feature?
    I also see where they think the slits start at 12-14" down from the shouder seam.
    Hmmmmmmm.
    Until someone can get a good look at the actual costume piece in person, or be able to see any of these details in the movie.
    I can always sew the slits closed at the bottom later on and I can sew the slits further down from the shoulders if this is really how the piece goes.

I got the fabric yesterday. I opted for texture over color. I found a black fabric with a great texture. I tried to give it a brown wash. I am looking at the dried, dyed fabric right now, and it seems mostly black. It has an ever-so-slight brownish tint in natural sunlight. I just brought the bolt outside to see how it looked. At least it is not a blue/black or a green/black. It is definitely a brown/black.
    I think the texture and weight will make it look more like the Anakin cloak no matter what color it is. All of the browns I saw yesterday (and since I have been looking for this) were too light in both color and weight.
    From that picture posted above of Obi and Ani bowing to the Jedi council in the Jedi Temple, Ani's cloak is a dark brown and it is much darker than Obi's robe.
    In ALL the pictures in every SW Insider the cloak color is mostly black.
    None of the brown fabrics I saw were even as dark as Obi Wan's robe.
    I have the rest of the costume done right now. The outer tunic fabric is a very dark brown. The over-all effect of the complete costume would be ruined if the cloak ended up being a lighter color than the outer tunic.

Let's see what happens today. I am clearing off my work space to cut right now.

22. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    Looks like your right about everything there... most of the pics seem like they have made 2 diffrent cloaks, one dark brown, and one black :) maybe they did. I can't wait to hear how your robe came out.... now I need to learn how to sew :).

23. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    omigod. That was an ordeal!

The cloak is done. The fabric was incredibly difficult to sew. Neither of my machines wanted to sew the fabric. The thread kept breaking and getting sucked back into my serger. It was almost as difficult to sew as raw silk.
    I ended up sewing a lot of it by hand.
    BUT--It looks pretty smooth as far as no unintentional lumpiness. The texture is right on! See picture in SW INsider #58 page 14. THAT is what the cloak I just made looks like.
    I did not sew the bottoms of the slits together (yet) I am not convinced that it is not open there. It will be easy enough (albiet tedious) to stitch together there. I made sure that the hem is even at the ends of the splits.
    I suppose we could try to use like 10+ packettes of dark brown dye and see what happens. I only used 2 packettes on almost 10 yards of fabric and I bearily got a tint. Fortuneately the fabric has been washed, dyed and dried, so if 'ANakin' wants to try to dye it again, the cloak won't be shrinking.
    I will try to get some pictures of this soon.

24. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    I can't believe how fast you are at that! OMG... it would take me a year just to do the cloak! :) sounds good... but hard. I would love to see the pics of your robe :).

25. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I worked on it for 9 hours straight today. I took a little break to eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and I heated up some pizza leftovers for lunch....other than that I was sewing non-stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.