main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Anakin's Robe/Cloak AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthRaven, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthRaven

DarthRaven Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2002
    Dang... all it took was 9 hours?!? not days right?!?!? holy. *Make mental note to self: Never ever get into sewing contest with Nostradamus* :)

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    About 2 hours of that was hand sewing the band that goes the whole length of the front opening and collar. That was about 11 feet. There was no way I was going to be able to put that thickness of the fabric through either of the machines.....and I know even if I did, I would be riping it all out now because it would have been 'lumpy-looking'. Trust me. I spent 3 days taking apart the Senator Amidala cloak because it was too lumpy-looking from trying to hurry and sew it with the machine.

3. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    at this point, I' trust anything you say lol, you rule... gotta get my Mom to teach me how to do this stuff, then I could make my own clothes :). thanx for all the replies Nostradamus.

4. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    We tried the Anakin cloak on 'Anakin' tonight. It needed to be a little shorter. I put some pins in and started putting in a new hem. We also decided that the slits needed to be higher. So now they are 6" from the shoulder seam. With the openings starting at 11", it did really limit his movement.
    WE watched "Life is a House" tonight. 'Anakin' brought that over and we watched it while I was hemming.
    Then we watched all the SW EP II trailers to see different nuances in the way the robe lays and moves on Hayden--and to see the nuances in the color. 'Anakin' decided to test some of the scraps of fabric out with different amounts of diluted bleach. If a little of the black color can be removed (to maybe a charcoal color), we could then dye that to a dark brown. The cloak does look browner in some of the shots---especially in the gondola scene. THat is where natural light is hitting the fabric and I suspect that is the truest color. I am right on with the texture though. It is perfect.
    I am going to add reinforcements to the shoulders on the inside of the cloak. All the weight of the robe pulls right there. One of the shoulders already started to unravel a little. It will be even better soon.

5. Argarathoo

Argarathoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    never mind

6. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    Sounds like your making real fast progress there... and does 'Anakin' enjoy his robe? :) I wanted to be Anakin! AHHHHHH

7. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    I'm Anakin, plus about 100lbs

8. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    I'm actually about 'Anakin's size... I've been trying to gain a little weight though... sadly, it's not working :(.

9. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    'Anakin' really likes the whole costume.

He is making his own Jedi belt and saber. He brought over what he had done so far.
    He is using the Jedi belt tutorial for the belt and his saber for this costume is a resin Vader saber that he is altering & building to be like the Anakin EP II saber. He is having someone else make the boots.
    His next job is to find (or dye) dark brown pants.......

He will be a Jedi, I promised.

10. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    :) Why can't my Mom do that for me?! lol. I hope it all looks good.

11. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    I'm new here and may have missed it, but has anyone figured out how Anakin's robe fastens at the top? I was thinking of using one of those black metal fastener thingies (frogs, I think they're called).

I'm using the Simplicity pattern 9887/ Style D which looks pretty close to Anakin's robe. Just have figure out the arm slits, though I may skip those altogether. I'm just now getting this started for Indy (how's that for down to the wire?). My costume will be a variant on Anakin's- dark grey undershirt with a black outershirt & obi. The tabbard is going to be a dark forest green. If you see me at Indy, come up & say hi.

12. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    It dosen't fasten at the top. It just lays over the shoulders.

13. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    which is why we are all confused on how to make it :( it looks like it Should fall off, but for some reason, it doesn't... I guess we'll have to wait for the movie to come out and see for ourselves.

14. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Maybe it's held on by the Force :). Did anyone else notice that Anakin's cloak from AOTC and Luke's cloak in ROTJ look remarkable similar? I know Anakin's cloak style was diliberate but I wonder if it's intentionally like Luke's or if it's just a coincidence...

15. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    They probably meant for it to be that way... to lead the way, curious how he'll look in Ep III :)

16. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    The cloak stays on fine without a closure.
    The main reason is the weight of the fabric. It weighs a TON!
    Anyone who is going to CII can check it out live and in person on Sunday the 5th, our 'Anakin' will be in the costume contest.

17. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    I'd assume that he would look the same. They already did a few shots of him for EPIII on Tatooine and I haven't heared that he will change his appearance in any way yet.

18. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    Nostradamus - I wish I could go, but I can't... so I guess I'll have to wait and see if theres gonna be any pics :) and Anakin weighs his boots down for training, so I guess he likes his clothing heavy to :)

Argarathoo - I haven't seen any Ep III pics yet :( where'd you get to see those at?

19. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    There aren't any pics of him in EPIII. I don't remember where I heared it from (I think it was on one of the Making Of Webumentaries)but GL said that when they were filming for EPII in Tunisia they did the filming that they needed there for EPII at that ime. According to GL there are very few Tatooine shots(or at least ones that required going to Tunisia) and so to save $$ they did all of the filming then. When he was talking about that on the video(its all coming back to me now) there was a short clip of Anakin walking in front of a Tatooine house at just before the second sundown. If that was a shot from EPIII then we do have a pic of the next movie.

EDIT: It is on Part 3: We Didn't Go to the Deasert to Get A Sun-tan.

20. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    I can't wait for Ep II and III :) I want to see it now! oh well, I can wait! :)

21. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    I've been freaking out lately because I work in a grocery store and with all of the SW merchandise that is coming in it just makes my adreiline pump that much faster. Everytime I come out of the stock room its like i'm on crack or something. I'm all jittery and freaking out. WHY CAN'T MAY 16TH GET HERE SOONER!!!!!!!???????!!?!?!?!

22. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    LOL, I know what you mean, I can't wait! it better open on time here or I'm gonna flip out.

23. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    I concur. I work at a TRU here in Omaha, NE, but we didn't get to do the midnight sale. Just opening @ 8am tomorrow. We had to get everything set up. Man, I can't wait for this movie! I can't for Indy either! This week can't go by fast enough...

24. DarthRaven

Apr 1, 2002
    when is all this midnight stuff going on? what day I mean?

25. Argarathoo

Jan 22, 2002
    I just got all of my EPII toys and i'm playing with them as we speak. Also on a related note. I just got an e-mail from the guy who is making my costume and he said that it is in transit and should be here by the end of the week if not sooner. I CAN'T WAIT. I've had such a rush today. I walked into work this morning and bumped itno Jango Fett and Anakin. The Lay's Chips guy was there putting up the standups at the front of the store. I already have dibs on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.