main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin's Sacrifice...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Vaderbait, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Well, we're talking parallels between the movies and using them to predict the outcomes of Episode III, right? Well what is one fairly major event that hasn't occured yet in the prequel trilogy? No, I'm not talking an "I'm your father" thing. Think back to the end of ESB, shortly AFTER the revelation, Luke lets go of everything to fall to what he probably thought was his doom, right?

Well, what if instead of being beaten and such, Anakin sacrifices himself and fully embraces that he's lost everything, himself attempting to commit suicide? Whether it be into lava or down a pit is not an issue. But what if he willingly lets himself go, thus embracing his future (or lack of) with open arms, instead of being forced into it?

What do you think?

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Possible, but highly unlikely.

Anakin's become an agent of evil in Episode III, and he'd go down fighting until (at least Obi-Wan thought) the end. It's not in the nature of a Sith, whether master or apprentice, to give in just like that.

3. patsidious

patsidious Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2002
    I think it's an interesting idea to make a parallel between Luke and Anakin in that way. Maybe it's the reverse some how. What if it's Obiwan standing over the pit and the beaten Anakin calling him to rejoin the good side. I could see Anakin believing it's too late for himself to change so he gives up and lets himself fall into the lava (or whatever).

4. DARTH_ACTARUS

DARTH_ACTARUS Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2002
    I think Anakin's fall to the dark side will have to do with something related to Padme.

It will be to save her like Luke saves Leia from Vader when he gets enraged in ROTJ.

If you don't turn, Padme will die.

It will be a sacrifice, knowing full well he's damning himself to save his beloved.

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    That's a good thought.

His fall will probably have something to do with Padme, but I do think that he'll embrace the Darkness, as you say. If he didn't, he wouldn't have been its slave for so long.

Still, that was a great comparison between Vader and Luke. Nice catch, Vaderbait.

6. JEDI-ANAKIN

JEDI-ANAKIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    I agree his turning to the darkside will be because of Padme, but the first part of his turning is when his mother died in AOTC because we saw all of his aragance when that happend.

7. Master_Grover

Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    Its because of padme being killed probably. The man just snaps. What else would be so dear to him?

8. Promiscuous_Jedi

Promiscuous_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2002
    He'll do something like attempt to rescue Padme when she finds trouble. Dooku or Sidious will be waiting for him on the other end. Only unlike his son, he'll give in to his hate.

Speaking of parallels, remember Obi-Wan's message to Luke concerning Darth Vader.

Luke, I don't want to lose you to the Emperor the way I lost Vader.

Remember, Luke set off Dagobah to go rescue Han, Leia, and Chewbacca. When he reached his destiny, Darth Vader was waiting for him, ready to turn him to the dark side.

Anakin will do the same thing his son did twenty something years before. But unlike Luke, he won't have enough gusto to fend off the dark side.

9. Brother_Bushforb

Brother_Bushforb Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    I believe that Anakin physically died after the battle with Obi-Wan. It's not just the burn marks on him, he's actually rotting away and the dark side combined with the suit keep him alive to extract revenge for his torment. I also believe that the Emperor passed away years before ROTJ. He's also a living corpse. Living off hatred and anger and the dark side.

10. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Very good idea, Brother Bushforb!

11. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    AGH! I hate the Anakin actually died idea, I think that he WOULD have died if he didn't turn to the darkside(that and the suit keep him alive).

12. Tristano

Tristano Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    I propose that theres more truth to what Ben said about Vader betraying and killing Anakin than just a certain point of view. There got to be more predicated on Lukes father being killed than just word games.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't agree that Anakin's turn to the dark side stems from a giving up of the ideals he values most. If anything, I think Anakin will get trapped into using the dark side by the sheer strength of his devotion to his ideals. I was recently reading the duel scenes in the RotJ novelization and encountered some marvelous descriptions of what goes through Luke's mind during the events that occur. Luke knows that he hates evil and also that he hates the fact that Vader has caused suffering to so many people. Luke's failure is his inability to distinguish between hate for things he knows are wrong and hate for the individuals who do these things. He realizes during the duel that he hates Vader for his evilness, but by so doing, he himself is becoming evil. I think the movie does indeed back up the novelization's take on this - the look on Luke's face while he beats Vader back is self-explanatory.

It's possible that the trap Palpatine sets for Anakin to seal his fate as a future Sith lord will be very similar to the one set for Luke in RotJ, and Anakin will fall into it. His self-righteousness will be his undoing.

14. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Either that or his mullet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.