main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin's Sissy Fit

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    So when Anakin is allowed to be on the Council but not be a Master, he basically throws a huge sissy fit.

I never understood that.

What's the big deal in becoming a Master? Do you get special privileges? Cause the Council is basically the top people of the Order...so really shouldn't Anakin be like "YES I'M ON THE COUNCIL!" and then wait a little while to get Master?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I believe the term is "temper tantrum." "Sissy fit" implies that females are prone to them more than males, and I call bull**** on that.

According to the novelization, he wanted to be a Master because he would then have access to a Masters-only section of the archives, where he believed he could search through holocrons and find the secret to saving Padme's life. He says something to Palpatine about this section of the archives, and Palpatine indicates to him that he could ensure that Anakin had access by demanding that he be placed on the Council.

If one wants to ignore the novelization, the reason would be as Anakin said--he felt insulted because he felt (rightfully so) that the Council didn't really want him there, that they were only giving him a seat because Palpatine demanded that he be given one. And "Anakin" and "waiting a little while" don't really mix; he's not the most patient person in the world.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    the novel's explanation is a squiffy

"yeah, well ask to be a council member, the archives might have something in the top secret bits

*5 mins later*

well, no Jedi can help you there buddy, only this secret apprentice of that plague dude can"

4. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    It's a combination of both reasons. On one hand, Anakin wanted respect, power, and recognition. On the other hand, he wanted secret information to save Padme's life.

5. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    If you can't understand why he was upset and acted that way I think you are going to have a lot of trouble understanding any of the 6 films

6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Couldn't have said it better myself. It's the equivalent of hanging a players jersey in the rafters but not retiring it. One doesn't go without the other. To go out of your way to give someone half of the reward package is insulting.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Hissy fit. The term is hissy fit.

8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    And Ki-Adi Mundi looks at him and shakes his head for being so ignorant.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    He felt that the Council was restricting him without legitimate reason. The fair course would have been to appoint him to the rank of Master since being on the Council presupposed that the Council member was a Master; it would be like being promoted from under-level management to CEO of a company, yet only being paid $50,000 a year and not having a say in company decisons. The only reason he was held back was because of his age - even though he was probably qualified to be a Master. He had more wisdom and combat prowess than some of the Masters on the Council, so he may have felt that they were only holding him back out of spite. Add to this his involvement with Palpatine (who actually requested him to be on the Council), whom the Jedi distrusted and felt some animosity towards for trying to influence Council decisions, yet whom Anakin saw as a friend and mentor, and you have suitable conditions for a sissy fit.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    "Sissy" sounds less offensive lol

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wiser, heck no. He wasn't Master material (yet) - he hadn't "mastered himself." He wasn't held back because of his age, not at all.

Note I am not saying how Anakin might have seen it; I'm talking me, the viewer.

And really, he was not exactly appointed to the Council; the Council accepted his appointment to the Council as the Chancellor's representative (mouthpiece).

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In the film it seems almost like a silly fit, but in the novel it is an awesome and challenging moment.

13. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He was also not pleased for being used by the council to watch and possibly go against his friend Palpatine. He didn't want to really betray either side but the conflict left him little choices.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Khalil O. like this.
  14. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    Palpatine told Anakin that he foresaw him becoming more powerfal than Master Yoda, which, in a way, he did.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    And?

Not meaning to be "baiting" but I don't get the point. Palpatine told Anakin something, something to be in the future. What relevance does that have? He could be 16x powerful than Yoda but he didn't earn mastership at the time Palps appointed him as his personal representative.

In the future, he might well have earned it on his own merit.

But we'll never know.

16. LordThrawnStark

LordThrawnStark Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    To me it's no different than Luke whining cause he can't go to the Acadamy.

I actually didn't find it that big of a hissy fit. He seemed Shocked and couldn't control his anger.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Anakin's appointment to the Council seemed like an amazing opportunity to me, one I would have been grateful for. It's like a chance to sit in on board meetings for a Fortune 500 company, a chance to listen and learn. Anakin was even allowed to voice his opinion to the Council (which is quite a privilege in itself), even though it didn't hold much weight, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I see a huge difference between Luke whining about wanting to go to the Academy. Luke presumably absolutely earned his spot in the Academy, while Anakin did not earn his spot on the Council. Anakin was being given something good imo, while Luke was being given another year of working on a dirt farm for his uncle. Most importantly, Owen was absolutely doing everything he could to literally hold Luke back. It was Owen's intention to keep Luke on that farm forever. The Jedi had no such intentions and weren't holding Anakin back from becoming a Knight or a Master, Anakin was held back by his own major flaws.

18. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    In my entire life I've only ever heard it referred to as a "hissy fit"...
    http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=hissy fit

19. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    A higher per diem and free parking!

20. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Age had no effect on the decision. In that outburst alone Anakin proved that he was unable to control himself. All the other Jedi Masters we have seen in the saga have been in complete control of themselves and don't have rude out-of-place outbursts like that.

21. Khalil O.

Mar 9, 2013
    Palpatine: "I'm appointing you to be my personal representative on the Jedi Council."
    Anakin: "Me? A Master?" (Showing that if a Jedi was on the Council, it was a given the he/she was a Master.)
    Anakin: "How can you be on the Council and not be a Master?"
    Mace Windu: "Take a seat, young Skywalker." (Showing that the Council still saw him as a boy.)
    Anakin: "What kind of nonsense is this? To put on the Council and not make me a Master? It's never been done in the history of the Jedi."
    Obi-Wan: "Oh, calm down, Anakin. You have been given a great honor. To be on the Council at your age, it's never happened before."
    Mace Windu: "I don't think the boy can handle it." (Another diminutive comment from Windu.)
    Obi-Wan: "You are strong and wise Anakin....You have become a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be." (If Anakin was greater than Obi-Wan, then he could have possibly been a greater Jedi than some of the other members on the Council.)

The main reason he was not appointed was because of his involvement with Palpatine, but his age may have been a factor as well.

22. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    I think the references to Anakins age were less that he was too young to be on the council (i.e. an age minimum like we have for the President) than it is a way to point out his immaturity. Typically (though not always) a "boy" is more immature than a "man." So by calling him a "boy" and "young" they are saying he's immature.

And too the idea that if you're on the council you must be a master so that Anakin not being made a master seems odd. If I recall, a Supreme Chancellor has never personally appointed an individual Jedi to the council so this act is without precedent. Since the Jedi are simply accepting his appointment and not making the appointment themselves, why should they promote him to master if they don't think he's ready?

23. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    No kidding.

Because they want to use him as a spy against Palpatine.

Here is another reason why Anakin lost his temper. He felt personally insulted that the Council refused to give him the title of "Master" once he became a member. Especially since the other members (aside from Ki-Adi Mundi) were also Jedi Masters.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  24. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    To be fair Yoda also calls Obi-Wan young. But I see what your saying there is certain lingo among the Council that would point to them having an issue with Anakin's age.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Mundi wasn't a Jedi master? So why did Anakin say "It's never been done in the history of the Jedi"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.