main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin's Slave Transmitter

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mr. K, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yeah, the one that would blow him up- BOOM. Whatever happened to it? Did he eventually have it removed? Could Kenobi have used it during the duel? From a storytelling point-of-view, why introduce such a device and not use it?

You underestimate my powers!
    Oh, I don't think so.... [waves hand] BOOM

2. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    it was an after dinner anecdote to tell their foreign guests of the harsh realities of living in a far away outer-rim land,

or he really did finish his scanner to locate it, preformed self surgery and removed it , being the clever one he is...

or

the most likely and obvious explanation:

watto removed it

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think in the TPM novel it actually says Watto deactivated it - and Qui-Gon plans to have the deactivated device surgically removed later.

4. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    It was probably only there to quell the "why don't they just run away" argument.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It was removed after he entered the Temple. The whole point of the explosive is to explain why Watto would allow the boy to wander around without someone watching him all the time, or keeping him chained up. You know, like it was in real life.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  6. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I wanna see one of those things in action!

7. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I thought it was just a clever ruse to keep the slaves under control on Tattooine. After all, death by explosion can be a pretty powerful deterrent.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  8. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I recall reading an excerpt from a book called 'Anakin Skywalker's Journal' or some such around when TPM came out; where Qui-Gon took him back to Watto, and both of them waved this wand thing around the spot where the transmitter was, and it was deactivated. Nothing about actual surgery to get it out.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Shut it down first, surgery later, when it's convenient, was the approach I recall.

TPM novelization p192-193:

They went to Watto's shop first, where the Toydarian had completed the forms necessary to assure Anakin's freedom. The transmitter that bound Anakin to his life of slavery was deactivated permanently. It would be removed surgically at a later date. Watto was still grumbling about the unfairness of things as they left him and went back out into the street.

10. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    This kind of harken's back to GL's ear-tag concept from THX-1138

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Picture the opening credits scenes in "The Running Man" and there you go.

12. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    It was probably removed/disabled. If Qui-Gon won him legitimately, then he would probably insure that it was completely disabled/removed.

13. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    When TPM came out, I thought for sure that the concept of Ani's transmitter would be the means by which Kenobi would take him out during 'the duel'. Oh well...

14. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    Funny enough - I remember during those days there were some fans who swore that by the time Obi-Wan and Anakin had their famous duel that the transmitter would come to play in defeating the latter.

15. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Knowing Anakin and his wits in the movie, I feel like he was able to locate the transmitter in his body and perform the surgery that was necessary to remove it so that he didn't go "boom" if he had left the slave life.
    If that theory isn't so, then I feel like it was Watto's duty to remove the transmitter when he lost Anakin as a slave and gave him away to Jinn.